Charge For Chocolate Dipped Oreos Help

Baking By notsoperfectcakes Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 1:54am by lynn780

notsoperfectcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notsoperfectcakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 215

Okay CC Members could someone out there help me with pricing for these cookies? I was asked to make them for a friend of a friend but I have no idea how much to charge them as I have always just made them as gifts.Thanks and have a HAPPY MONDAY
LL

214 replies
Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 215

Hi there,

I charge $7 for 8 cookies. The cost for me to make 8 is $1.12 - $1.50. I may be cheap, but I live in the San Antonio, Texas area, and people order a lot at this price. I have a couple pictures in my photo gallery. For Valentine's, I actually packaged them in this really cool little package, not the heart. However, those heart boxes cost $1 (so you'd add that to the price to make).

On line you can find boxes of 12 oreos for about $19 - $22, plus $13 or so shipping. Ebay has people selling them for $7 - $20 or so, plus shipping.

Does this help any?
Kat

oreochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oreochic Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 215

I just started doing more cookies this past Valentines. But this is how I priced mine. I add up what it cost to make them & try to at least double that for the total price.

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 215

Wow, I must be really cheap, I only charge 0.75 for my chocolate covered Oreos. I buy the Oreos bulk from Sam's and I when Michael's has their candy coating on sale for $1.70 I stock up. So it only costs me twenty cents per cookie to make them and I charge almost four times as much. Here are some pics, also, the ones pictured look like they were hand dipped, you'll get a more professional look if you invest in some oreo molds. You can get them at candylandcrafts.com, sugarcraft.com or choklitmolds.com. The latter is the cheapest place for them (only 0.84 apiece) but they have a $50 minimum order, I find I meet this minimum easily because they sell all sorts of chocolate molds, Lorann oils, lollipop sticks (I use them for cookies) bags, etc.
LL
LL

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 215

Oh forgot to add that I'm also in the San Antonio area.

Sunflowerbagel, in what area of town do you live?

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 215

Wow! You are cheap icon_wink.gif I guess mine come out to about 88 cents per cookie. I hope we don't live in the same area! icon_lol.gif

I like your oreos. I use a mold too.

I sold 35 orders of 8 oreos for Valentine's and every person was so happy with them. They were individually wrapped - like yours. That's why I decided the $7. That, and the price of the Internet! A few even ordered more after their original. I know they only cost about 15 cents to make, but when you dress them up pretty.... It seems like one of the few things I actually make some money on.

I live in the country between SA and New Braunfels. What about you?

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 215

Ha ha, don't worry we don't live near each other. I live in NC San Antonio off of 1604 and Bulverde. I was actually thinking about raising my prices on the oreos after doing a little research of what people are charging for them on the internet. But, it's so hard to raise prices and I am still making a profit, can't ask for much more then that!

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 215

Those are cool looking and sound yummy. I never thought to do this, but I absolutely love the store bought fudge covered oreos. Do you just melt milk chocolate? Do you add anything to the chocolate to cover them? How do you get them so smooth? I usually make such a mess when I try to dip things, so I think I'm doing it wrong.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 215

Sorry for being a dingaling, but how did you get the faces on the oreo cookies, obviously a mold but how do you put an oreo into a mold?

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 215

to gt them smooth you just use an oreo mold. fill the mold with a little candy coating, press the oreo down and fill with more candy coating. you can get the molds from the sites imentioned above.

sorry for all lowercase, i have a nursing baby in one arm, so i'm typing one handed

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 215

gingersoave, i got the face mold from 3dmolds.com then just follow the instructoins above.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 215

Around here they get $1 each as is, $1.50 on a lollipop stick with a bag and some ribbon around the bottom.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 215

Thanks for the info!!!! I'm not much into cookies, I burn them sooo badly, so these oreo's are right up my alley, no baking cookies!!! People assume that since I make great cakes that I must be this awesome cook/baker - NOT!!!!! I burn green beans!!!! icon_surprised.gif I'm checking out the oreo molds now!!

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 215

forgot to add to stick the molds in the fridge to let the coating set up, then flip the mold over and bang it on a flat service to pop the oreos out.

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 215

playingwithsugar, wher are you located? also, how do you get the oreos on a stick? i haven't seen a mold that has a space for a stick

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 215

thanks for the info on the oreos... i just ordered some of the molds and cannot wait to get them!

gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 215

I just ordered the molds too from 3dmolds.com and they never gave me a shipping charge - That's SCARY, they have my credit card number!!! Hopefully it won't be that much for just a mold.....

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:29pm
post #18 of 215

Yeah... the TBD shipping was a little scary but i agree that it should not be too much (i hope!)

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 215

They will email you with the shipping charge, it's very minimal, they only charge actual UPS or USPS shipping charges.

gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:34pm
post #20 of 215

Whew, thanks! I've never had a TBD shipping charge before icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the oreo info, I cant wait to impress some people!! tee hee hee

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the chocolate around the cookies softer? I had made some of the petit fours with the white chocolate banana butter cream icing and banana cake on the inside and they were super yummy but I found that my friends were having a hard time crunching into the chocolate to get to the good stuff. Any suggestions? I also put my choc. in the mold and banged it out so it was super thin and it still had quite a crunch.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:36pm
post #21 of 215

To make the chocolate softer you can add some crisco while it is melted or something called paramount crystals, to get a better consistancy for biting. The crystals are available at sugarcraft.com or countrykitchensa.com

fragglerock1 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 215

gingersoave, did you use actual chocolate or did you use candy coating? I could be mistaken but if you use real chocolate you may have to temper it before putting it in a mold and maybe that's why your chocolate was so hard.

Also, I just checked my invoice from 3dmolds and they charged me $5.15 for priority mail shipping for three molds. I only actually ordered two molds, but they sent me a free sample mold also, HTH.

gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:43pm
post #23 of 215

I used candy melts, not real chocolate. Will the paramount crystals work with candy melts or should I use real chocolate (like the chocolate chips?) I'm not even close to being a candy girl, it's so foreign to me, but being a Wilton instructor I need to do it all so that I can teach it.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:43pm
post #24 of 215

Gingersoave,

Could you explain to me how you did your petit fours? Are you saying you coated them in chocolate, but that inside they had buttercream? If so, how did you do this (if you donn't mind sharing)?

Thanks,
Kathi

gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:47pm
post #25 of 215

Hi Kathi, sure I'll share. I bought some soap molds and melted white candy melts and poured them into the molds then banged the chocolate out as much as I could then I popped them into the fridge and let them get hard. Then I squired buttercream icing into the mold and then added a piece of cake then added more melted chocolate and put it back into the fridge and once it was hard I popped them out. They were super big b/c they were soap molds but the friends were having a hard time biting into them since they there was chocolate around it.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:50pm
post #26 of 215

kathik, check out this thread about petit fours. Very informative!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-96261-scott.html+molds+petit+fours

notsoperfectcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notsoperfectcakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:52pm
post #27 of 215

THANKS for all your infor. I guess I will have to order a mold or two to make mine look more professional. Glad my question helped some of ya'll out too. have a nice afternoon audrey

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #28 of 215

fragglerock1, thank you so much for the 3dmold website. I ordered some now and can't wait to get them. I've never done choc. covered Oreos but the molds looked too cool. Thanks.

gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:14pm
post #29 of 215

fragglerock1, thank you again for the mold info. You should get commission on these molds!!!!!!! tee hee hee icon_lol.gif

newcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemaker Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:32pm
post #30 of 215

fraggle,

where did you find the mold for the baby ones? I need that one soon! I would love to find it, if you don't mind!

Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%