Toba Garrets Icing....

Baking By princessjellybean Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm by cuillere

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 16

Do you use this the same way as Antonia's icing...ie thin down to flood? And do you have to use whole milk...would like to try these one of these days...maybe during the holidays. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 16

This icing is almost opposite of Antonia's. It's more of a glaze so you have to take a 1/2 cup out of the mix and add powder sugar to stiffen it up to pipe or outline. Because of the corn syrup, it tends to be a bit sticky. It's a very good tasting icing. I usually use whole milk, I suppose you could use 2% or what have you. Lately, I add 1-2 T. of soft butter too.

kos

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 1:37am
post #3 of 16

I use Toba's glace icing recipe all of the time. In her book, Creative Cookies, it even says you can use water instead of milk. I have made it with whole milk, skim milk, and water and they all taste the same to me. I like to use the water because then you can store your leftover icing longer.

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 16

thanks you guys...i'll keep this tips in mind when i try these...i want to this weekend but i doubt it... i have so many things on my "i want to try this list" , but i really want to try to no fail cookies...well thanks so much...this site is great.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 24 Dec 2005 , 1:27am
post #5 of 16

ok I have a question abou this icing. It says use 3/8 cup milk well how much is that I don't have a measuring cup that has it. If someone could tell me how many oz that is I would appriate it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Dec 2005 , 1:30am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitrelli

ok I have a question abou this icing. It says use 3/8 cup milk well how much is that I don't have a measuring cup that has it. If someone could tell me how many oz that is I would appriate it.

6 tablespoons or 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons.

There are 4 Tablespoons in a 1/4 cup. 2 Tablespoons in 1/8th of a cup.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 24 Dec 2005 , 2:56am
post #7 of 16

I just used 2 batches of this wonderful icing, but I learned a few things.

Don't spread it on the cookie with a toothpick (like to fill in small gaps) because that makes it lose it's shine. I have no idea why.

Make a large batch of your desired color. It's better to have too much rather than too little.

Allow plenty of time for drying, I tried to package them up too soon. They can't even be slightly tacky feeling or they will stick.

Some thoughts on thickening it: I wonder if it would work to make the whole batch with a thicker consistency (like start with 2 T corn syrup), tint it to the desired shade to do your outline, then thin the amount needed with corn syrup for flooding. I found that adding powdered sugar lightened the color a little bit.

I guess practice just makes perfect for getting my piping straight. I need to work on that.

What do you do with the leftovers if you're sick of baking sugar cookies? Does it freeze well?

Thanks!

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 24 Dec 2005 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 16

to texassugar thank you for your reply. I made the icing and kind of guessed at the measurment. I could not find the answer anywhere and no one in my household could answer it. I think I need to go back to school and pay attention in math LOL.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 1:05am
post #9 of 16

Mpitrelli, don't feel bad. I didn't know either. I'm glad you asked. Now I'll know for when I try this glaze.
Thanks for the answer, TexasSugar.

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 12:59am
post #10 of 16

Can someone please email me Antonia's icing recipe? (email address below) I'm new to cookie decorating and I have yet to try that one. I tried Toba Garrett's recipe over Christmas and it worked nicely. When my icing dried though, it had some slight cracks in it. What causes that? I always look at the cookie gallery on this website and I am sooo envious of the incredible cookies and cakes that people make. Such talent! I live in the seattle area and do not know of any cookie decorating classes. Does anyone?

[email protected]

Thanks
Heidi

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 2:19am
post #11 of 16

Hi Heidi,

Welcome to CakeCentral. I'm not sure about the cracks in the icing. I haven't had that happen yet. I use Toba's icing pretty much exclusively. I find though that after the second day, sometimes the coloring looks like it's starting to fade. I'm wondering if I add a little melted butter (2T maybe) if that would help. Anyone else have that problem?

Here's Antonia's icing recipe...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-1-Royal-Icing-for-Decorated-Cookies.html It's called Royal Icing for Decorated Cookies. Antonia (aka Helen) has a cookie decorating tutorial as well which is very helpful. Go to the "home" page and under the the pink box is the purple oblong box titled "New Articles". It's the third one down.

kos

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 16

I use Toba's Glace recipe and her butter cookie recipe almost exclusively. The cookies hold their shape so well.

The only thing I do different is use 1 tsp Creme Bouquet instead of vanilla in the cookies, and 1 teaspoon also in the glace - plus three drops of Lorann Orange oil.

Taste is out of this world.

mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 16

I use Toba's icing all the time, too. I noticed that I had trouble with it cracking in dry weather, especially during the winter. To fix that, I use heavy cream instead of milk or water. You need more cream to get it to the right consistency and it takes longer to dry, but it dosen't crack. I'm guessing it's the fat in the cream that does it. In warmer weather, I usually switch back to milk.

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:58am
post #14 of 16

My problem with toba's icing is white patches like little crystals kind of, I was guessing maybe I didn't stir it well enough maybe. Once I added a little more water and iced the cookies a second time it didn't happen, Did this ever happen to anyone?

taniabanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniabanana Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 1:32pm
post #15 of 16

I think that the white spots happen if you add too much water.

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 16

Tanya
Really! because the first batch I did had the white spots after it dried. I was very upset when I saw the results and decided to pipe over that batch and redo it but I couldn't make a new icing batch (I wouldn't get the color right) so I just took the left over icing and added more water to it and redid my cookies and they came out perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%