What Do You Use To Adhere

Decorating By Briarview Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 1:56pm by imartsy

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:42am
post #1 of 6

mudcakes to their boards. I always place a board underneath the mudcake ½" smaller than the cake for easier handling and placing on the main board. I cover most of my wedding cakes in fondant and always use a white ready made ganache to crumb coat them and cover the brown colour so it wont show through the top white fondant.
To date I have been using the thick white ganache but it has a tendency to move. Also use RI but find it a pain to have to make a batch to be discarded after a couple of days. I deliver a lot of my cakes and it can be up to an hour away and always worry about them slipping. Also they are put together prior to departure and it is really not an option to deliver separate. Any suggestions out there please. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:41am
post #2 of 6

I use 2-3 very small pieces of scotch tape rolled up, so that its sticky all around, that board is up against another board, so there is no worry of it coming into contact with food.

HTH,

Jenn

imbkay13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbkay13 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:49am
post #3 of 6

Maybe a very thin coat of corn syrup between your board? Very sticky stuff.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:09am
post #4 of 6

i use ganache and find it holds the cake well, but as you know with muds they are very heavy and moist, so i find that the cake usually sticks to the board by itself anyway....

kylie

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 6

Briarview,

can you get the Royal icing mix where you are? It comes in a packet as a powder and you just mix it with water it is handy for when you just need a little bit to stick something on or pipe a greeting or something and solves the problem of waste/making a whole batch and not using it.

HTH icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

Do you have any of those rubber squres or circles that you use for opening jars? Or those non-skid mats that you put in cabinets? I haven't made mudcakes but I usually slap down a good amount of buttercream and use that to stick the cake board the cake is on to the other cake board.... does that make sense??

If I'm icing the cake on a turntable or even when I'm delivering it - underneath the whole board I will put one of those rubber things or the skid-mats for cabinets underneath - it has worked so far......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%