Help! Ideas For Plaid On A Cake

Decorating By OliviaMommy Updated 20 Dec 2005 , 10:04pm by luv2cake

OliviaMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OliviaMommy Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 7

My oldest daughter is turning 15 at the end of January and she wants a "Pink/Punk" party. I have decided to do a stacked hexagon cake that, hopefully, will end up looking like something she bought at Hot Topic (I know it's kind of silly, but she loves stuff from that store).
I was going to decorate it with the some black swanky cats, and try to make some little skull and crossbones and make them silver. The only think I can't figure out is how to make some part of it plaid, she loves plaid right now. Short of cutting out diamonds and stripes and doing the sides I don't have any other ideas. I've not tried painting on fondant yet and I can't use royal icing because my youngest daughter is allergic to eggs.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

6 replies
lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 7

What about the Wilton Color Mist? Maybe that would work, it's like spray paint.

Edited to add: You could also use a plaid ribbon.

Daddycakes70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daddycakes70 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7

At our local Hobby Lobby store in the craft section with the paintbrushes, they have special paintbrushes just to paint plaid. It's like a brush with 2 brushes at the end of it which allows you to paint great plaid stripes. I would just use some gel paste cake icing colors and paint plaid on the fondant. I have the brush & it works great. They have several different types to paint several different plaid designs. Hope this helps.

OliviaMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OliviaMommy Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks lotsoftots and Daddycakes70. I'll look into both of those. I also misspoke about the diamonds to make plaid, I fogot to put that if I can't figure out how to make a plaid I might do an argyle pattern with the diamonds and stripes in fodant. Sorry about the poorly worded first post. She's gone on holiday right now and I'm trying to get all of my planning done while she's not looking over my shoulder. I really try to keep everyone's cake a suprise.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 7

Another idea: use fondant/marshmallow fondant in various colors roll out and use pizza cutter or knife to cut strips then make your plaid design.

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

You could make a plaid piece of fondant...
+color the individual amounts of fondant for the colors you need
+roll even sized snakes of the colored pieces (or use a clay gun or cookie press)
+lay the colored pieces in a plaid design
+roll out (you need very even pressure for this techinique) into an even thickness and size you need

You'll probably want to try several smaller versions first to get the hang of it, if you don't use absolutely even pressure you will end up with a marbled fondant instead of plaid. You can also try using a pasta maschine, but then you are limited to narrower lenghts.

I think there are other methods for making plaid in fondant as well. Maybe someone else has a suggestion. Or maybe you want to ask someone that posted one of those military cakes with the American flag draped over it how they made their striped drape.

HTH

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 7

I have a cake in my photos that is somewhat plaid. I did black and red. You could easily use more strips and move them closer together to achieve the plaid look.

Here's the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=9548&cat=0&pos=17

By the way, I made the strips out of MMF. It was pretty easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%