Do Y'all Prefer Cake Mix Or Cake Made From Scratch?

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 30 Dec 2005 , 4:28pm by MariaLovesCakes

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 46

Hi y'all,
I'm making a yellow cake from a recipe I got off this site. I was able to taste a smidge of it and I'm not so sure I like it better or as well as I like regular ole yellow cake mix. What do y'all prefer? Plus wouldn't using cake mix be easier to make?

Susan

45 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 46

I prefer scratch hands down, but it is a very personal thing. Many people love scratch while many love mixes. It is all up to personal preference and there is no right or wrong about it. Do what you like if its for you or what the customer wants....that's the best way to go about it.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif
Berta

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 46

I prefer scratch, but a lot of people are used to cakes from mix. I usually use a mix and enhance it a bit for birthday cakes unless I'm specifically asked to make one from scratch. Scratch cakes tend to be a little more dry (not really dry, but just not as moist as a mix) and dense, in my experience, than mix cakes, which are lighter, fluffier and very moist. And YES, mixes are easier and take less time, but it doesn't really take as much time as you would think to make one from scratch either! I use the recipe from Whimsical Bakehouse for their Golden Butter Cake and it is DELISH! Much like poundcake....a favorite for my family!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 46

Well said Berta!!! For me it's SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH!!! I grew up on mixes but when I started making my own there was no going back. I even tried those doctored mixes 'cuz my mom said I'm a food snob but I couldn't stand it. It is a very personal choice and definitely whatever you and you customers prefer is what is best for you. I don't find it to be an easier to make a mix especially when you start doctoring it. For me, I prefer the taste and I love the process but, I was a lover of baking way before the decorating bug took hold.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 46

I agree with Berta ... I also exclusively make scratch cakes, but that's my preference. Some people prefer the mix cakes (I don't get it, but diff'rent strokes, right?) Others can taste (and dislike) the "chemical" flavour that some of the additives & preservatives in the mixes have.

Yes, using a mix is easier (and ususally cheaper) that baking from scratch. However, those of us who prefer scratch will say that you just can't beat the flavour of fresh butter, good vanilla, premium chocolate, or whatever other ingredients you use to make your cakes special.

Absolutely, go with what you are comfortable making, and what your customer prefers. However, I would be up-front with them... if you bake from scratch, then say so. If you use a mix, or a doctored mix, call you cakes home-made, but don't call them scratch. If they don't ask, it's up to you if you want to mention it or not.

mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 46

I definitely stick with scratch cakes. I like to be able to tell people exactly what went into the cake. But not all recipes are created equal...I did quite a bit of experimenting before I found recipes that weren't dense and dry. I really love Toba Garrett's yellow and chocolate cakes and I pretty much use those all of the time. They're moist and yummy!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 46

Ok you've got me convinced! Scratch cake it is all the way. That must be why my husband's birthday cake I made for him tasted so good. I made it from scratch. But I would like to have the Whimsical Bakehouse Golden Butter Cake recipe icon_smile.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 46

Well said Bertha! icon_smile.gif

I grew up on cakemix with scratch baked goods as special treats. The flavors just don't compare. The cakemix does not replicate the richness of flavor that a scratch cake has. Think storebrand icecream vs. your favorite ice cream shop. No comparision right? Yet, we'll happily eat some Kroger icecream on a hot day. icon_smile.gif

People are used to cakemixes and will happily gobble them up. You won't lack for customers using cakemix.

BTW, doctored cakemixes cost just as much to make as scratch cakes.

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 46

Here it is Golden Butter Cake:
In the bowl of mixer breat at hig speed until light & Fluffy
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
add & beat on ed. speed until fluffy:
6 large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
sift together: 31/2 cups cake flour
1teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 ts salt
at low speed add the dry ingredient to butter & eggs mix alternately with:
11/2 milk
pour 3/4 cups of the batter into one prepared pan & the remaining batter into the other. bake for 20 to 25 min. the fuller pan for 30 to 35 min.
yield: 9 cups
Hope this helps

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 46

correction on baking powder should be:
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 ts. also egg yolk beat on med.

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 46

I have to admit I've tried cake mixes and can't stand the chemical aftertaste.

I make everything from scratch and although I'm not selling cakes yet I've given away some and shared cakes over the holidays... I've had phone calls from people that said it was the BEST cake they have ever tasted in their whole life.

I think people are used to the store-bought ... cake mix taste of cake. If you spend the time and money on real ingredients people will RAVE about the taste.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 46

I prefer scratch cakes, but that depends on who's doing the baking. It's rare to get a good scratch cake--a good mix is more reliable I think. So I do prefer scratch over a mix, but only if it's a really good scratch cake.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 46

I agree wit lotsoftots, Scratch cakes are eonderful when made right! However, they can tast awful if made wrong. A cake mix is much more reliable if you have not perfected a scratch recipe. I think the cake really depends on the recipe. I have a couple of cakes that are made from really good scratch recipes and I have a few doctored up cake recipes that are to die for as well. Some of the doctored up recipes can't be beat in my opinion!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 46

It seems like here, maybe only here, people can't really tell the difference between mix and scratch. As long as the icing isn't out of a can it really makes the cake seem infinitely better. I use mixes when doing cakes for work and no one seems to know the difference. Of course, I don't work with any cake connoiseurs.

I prefer mixes for in a hurry, but scratch for something special or something that needs the extra effort and attention.

bubblezmom Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 46

I think ya'll know a lot of people who can't bake or have not visited a real bakery. I would never waste my time repeatedly making a scratch cake that did not taste good. Why would anyone want to eat scratch or cakemix cake that does not taste good?

I have tried numerous scratch recipes and have not had one taste awful. Some were too bland or too crumbly. I have had one taste more like a sweet cornbread than cake. I tossed the recipe and my mom just asked me this past wkend to make those cupcakes again. She used the ones I gave her as breakfast muffins since they weren't too sweet.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 9:16pm
post #16 of 46

Thanks for posting the recipe cakelady52! My copy is at home, so she would have had to wait until tomorrow for me to post it. One note about the recipe, though - have all your ingredients (butter, eggs, etc.) at room temp. when starting. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but that's the instructions from the book. Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 46

I'm a cake mix girl. Or atleast doctored cake mixes.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 46

I'm a cakemix gal.... I use added ingredients and flavors and I get rave reviews on all my cakes.... so it's cake mixes for me!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 46

I only use cake mixes. When I first started out in 1972, I used scratch cakes. But honestly, my customers love my cakes. They do rave on about them. And I tell them they are doctored if they ask. But most don't ask.

sweetstuff09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstuff09 Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 10:53pm
post #20 of 46

When I get lazy I prefer cake mixes better because there easier but if i make the cake for someone special like a family member I will make it from scratch.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 12:55am
post #21 of 46

I come from a long line of bakers, and we've all used mixes. Duncan Hines in particular.

I disagree with everyone saying there is a chemical after-taste, and have to say I hope people who eat the cakes that I bake and decorate don't say "Geez, that cake was rather chemical-ish, eh?"

Touchy subject if taken of course..but I have to say, if a cake is baked right, it tastes good, period.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 2:20am
post #22 of 46

I do both . . . depending on how much time I have etc. With a cake mix there is a consistency there that you might not get with a scratch made cake. I generally use doctored cake mixes for my cupcakes and scratch recipes for my cakes. Raves from both!
Leslie

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 2:28am
post #23 of 46

I like using cake mixes and adding flavorings like mexican vanilla or almond. I have also used cake mixes and added pudding. icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 5:28am
post #24 of 46

Cake mixes doctored all the way and everyone think that they are made from scratch.

I grew up with my mother making scratch cakes and she was always saying "don't walk to close to the stove, or don't walk to heavy, I have a cake in the oven" icon_cry.gif

Got so tired of hearing this that I can't stand to do a scratch cake...I'm so glad that she only do them rarely now thumbs_up.gif

I do have a good Sour Cream Pound Cake that I make only for my sister because she loves it so much.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 6:59am
post #25 of 46

i definitely prefer scratch cakes but have used doctored cakes for certain customers. some people don't really care whether a cake is from scrach or a mix as long as its sweet and moist. i can pick out a cake mix everytime and yes, cake mixes do have that certain "taste" that i just cannot seem to get rid of no matter how much sour cream, vanilla, buttermilk, etc i add to them. then again, i'm a seasoned baker and i pay much more attention to taste, texture, etc. in my cakes whereas most people don't even notice.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 1:37pm
post #26 of 46

I use doctored or the extended recipe mixes all the time and ppl really dont know whte difference...my experience with scratch cakes are dry cakes that to me, taste to eggy...and i dont need to waste more time with a simple syrup..i'd rather just use a mix and u know its going to be moist

bubblezmom Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 1:44pm
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRobyn

I disagree with everyone saying there is a chemical after-taste, and have to say I hope people who eat the cakes that I bake and decorate don't say "Geez, that cake was rather chemical-ish, eh?"

Touchy subject if taken of course..but I have to say, if a cake is baked right, it tastes good, period.

There is a distinct chemical aftertaste to some cakemix cakes. For me, it is strong in the DH yellow cakemix. No one is ever going to comment on the chemical aftertaste. It would be like commmenting on the chemical aftertaste of a twinkie. The aftertaste is just part of the product and not something worthy of comment.

Have you ever had Walmart cake? It has a VERY strong chemical aftertaste.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 1:45pm
post #28 of 46

I use doctored mixes almost all the time. I've made a few scratch cakes, but I think the doctored mixes taste better and they are much easier. If someone specifically asks for scratch I'll do it, otherwise it's cake mix all the way.

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 2:47pm
post #29 of 46

I absolutely can taste the difference.

I have made doctored cake mixes, in fact there are a couple DH mixes in my pantry right now. The only reason I used them is because I was making cakes to decorate for kids and they wouldn't taste the difference or care.

However when I taste the cake even if I've done a bang-up job I can taste the difference.

But I also am particular about my tea, my wine, my steak, etc. Maybe I'm just picky.

caketime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketime Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 6:12pm
post #30 of 46

I make scratch cakes all the time so for me it's just as fast to make a scratch cake as it is to make a mix or doctored cake. I like the process of making the cake and I like seeing everything going into it. I can usually tell when a cake is a cake mix and if people like that's fine by me...sometimes I like it for comfort but usually I'll take a scratch one anyday.

My experience with people who get a dry cake from scratch or too crumbly is that the recipe may not be right or what they were going for or they beat the heck out of the mixture. A scratch recipe is not going to be as forgiving as a cake mix will be. I find it sometimes just takes practice and not overmixing your batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%