Photo Cake/edible Image Printer System

Decorating By boysmomintx Updated 3 Apr 2015 , 9:08pm by theresagallegos

boysmomintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boysmomintx Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 52

Several of you are making AWESOME cakes using edible images. I know there are about 3 kinds of machines that I have heard of. Would you mind sharing which one you use? Earlene Moore (www.earlenescakes.com) was going to ask a friend who worked at American Cake Decorating magazine to do a comparison article. Not sure if one is in the works, but I would appreciate the opinions of those who use them. Some systems are way more pricey than others!

Thanks!
Jennifer

51 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 52

I don't have one yet but I believe they are all made by Cannon whether or not they have the name on them. I looked into getting one some time ago but couldn't justify it just yet.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 52

Yes supposedly only Canon has the printer that fits the frosting sheets. On Ebay you can get an e-book written by someone on here that tells you all about what printers tips and such! Its great!
heres a link to one on ebay...you have to copy and paste this url.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46281&item=4369218782&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

if it doesnt work, go to ebay search type in printer to cake and its a book with a piano on the front. thumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 52

I had a Cannon a few years ago but the print head kept clogging up. I was afraid to get the edible printing system because I knew I wouldn't be using it regularly and didn't want it to clog. One of the people selling the systems actually confirmed this with me. She said that you had to use it several times per week to keep it from clogging.

Does anyone that has this system have a problem with it clogging up on them? How often do you use them?

Debbie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 52

Flayv! That's my book! LOL...thanks for mentioning it. The best printers on the market to get right now are either the Cannon IP1500 or the Cannon IP3000. The only difference between the two is the number of ink cartridges used. The IP1500 will run you about $50.

You can see the listing for the book if you click on my WWW. If any of my CC friends want a copy of the book just let me know and I'll email it to you.

flayvurdfun Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 52

I knew that! You told me I just was trying to be sneeky! icon_lol.gif remember I have one its a great book! I am ordering the 1500 printer from either kmart.com or walmart.com and having it sent to my moms. I can wait a few months to use it.... but I am excited! Now I just have to find where the frosting sheets are!

Lisa Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 52

That's in the book too flayv! Check pages 13 and 14.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 52

Word of caution...if Canon finds out you are using edible ink, they won't honor their warranty!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 52

i just purchase an ip3000. i can't use it though because i have to get another computer to go along with it.

Why do you believe you need another computer? If your computer can print to regular paper then it should be fine, unless of course, you have other computer issues!

Lisa Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Word of caution...if Canon finds out you are using edible ink, they won't honor their warranty!

I understand why they had to do this. Their printers have become the industry standard for edible imaging. Icing Images sells only Canon printers and KopyKake recommends Canon printers. When you use a printer with edible inks, it has to be maintained in certain ways. If it isn't, it won't work right. I use a Canon i350. It cost me about $47/free ship at Amazon.com. I haven't had any problems with it yet...knock on wood!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i just purchase an ip3000. i can't use it though because i have to get another computer to go along with it. icon_confused.gif i didn't know about the edible ink/warranty deal. thanks for that info.

Who said that you had to get another computer to print with it? You can install multiple printers on your home pc, you just make sure that you're regular printer is set as the default.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 52

What if your computer is as old as mathusala (i know I speeled that wrong)?

thecakemaker Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 52

As long as you can load the printer drivers and/or it meets the requirements of the software ~ it doesn't matter how old the computer is.

Debbie

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 7:37am
post #14 of 52

I want one really bad!! They are so neat!! Ya'll shared some good advice! Lisa would you send me a book? I will pay for it. PM me & I'll send you my address. Thanks!

flayvurdfun Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 7:53am
post #15 of 52

it is a cool book, and I cant wait to get to use the printer!!! I need all the help I can get so this will help and boost my morale!

thecakemaker Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 52

It is a good book! Thank you Lisa!

Debbie

Lisa Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I want one really bad!! They are so neat!! Ya'll shared some good advice! Lisa would you send me a book? I will pay for it. PM me & I'll send you my address. Thanks!

Tina I thought I already sent you a copy. It's a pdf document so you can view it on your computer. Really cool too cause the book will even read itself outloud. Do you need me to send it to you again? I can PM it to you. Just let me know.

Thanks for the compliments Flayv and Debbie!

thecakemaker Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 3:49pm
post #18 of 52

The compliments were deserved! thumbs_up.gif

Mchelle Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 4:03pm
post #19 of 52

Ok, I am so lost. Does this book show you how to de the edible images?

Sorry, it's been a rough morning.

Lisa Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 4:16pm
post #20 of 52

Hi Mchelle...if you click on my WWW it will take you to a page where you can see the listing for the book. That is the table of contents.

Mchelle Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 52

Ok, I'll try it when I get home. The page is restricted here at work.

Thanks

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 4:45am
post #22 of 52

Where can I order images from my digital photos? I don't need the whole system, just a picture or two now and then.

Thanks!

Lisa Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:35pm
post #23 of 52

Call around to local bakeries...some offer the service of making them for you to use on your own cakes. To set up an entire 2 cartridge system with printer, frosting sheets (24) and edible ink is about $100 or the cost of buying about 10-15 images already printed. You might want to consider going ahead and getting yourself a system. You can better control the quality of the images if you do it yourself.

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 2:41am
post #24 of 52

Lisa,

If your book deals with how to keep it clean and maintained then I would appreciate a copy.

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks so much...I have a Canon I450...got it for Christmas from my father-in-law...it retails for under $100 CAD. Has worked well so far but I didn't know that special cleaning requirements were necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne M.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 2:52am
post #25 of 52

The icing paper and cartridged can be ordered from KOPYCAKE-the prices are pretty reasonable and I ordered my cartridges and ink together. I have a Cannon Pixma IP4000. I would appreciate the book too! I really like my printer-have used it several times! Thanks, Santa!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 3:17am
post #26 of 52

Okay, now don't sigh big sighs.... I have to ask this. Is Cannon the only printer you can use to make the edible images? I just got a next to new printer from my father in law so thought I'd at least ask. It's an HP deskjet
842c . Do the edible ink cartridges only fit the Cannons? Even if regular ink cartridges were used in it I wouldn't think that'd hurt anything because they only come in contact with the paper, right? I guess I could be wrong. I think I was once. Just kidding!! I'd really love to get into the edible images.

Lisa Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 3:27am
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqqq27

Lisa,

If your book deals with how to keep it clean and maintained then I would appreciate a copy.

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks so much...I have a Canon I450...got it for Christmas from my father-in-law...it retails for under $100 CAD. Has worked well so far but I didn't know that special cleaning requirements were necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne M.

It does Suzanne. I Pm'd it to you.

Lisa Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 3:31am
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Okay, now don't sigh big sighs.... I have to ask this. Is Cannon the only printer you can use to make the edible images? I just got a next to new printer from my father in law so thought I'd at least ask. It's an HP deskjet
842c . Do the edible ink cartridges only fit the Cannons? Even if regular ink cartridges were used in it I wouldn't think that'd hurt anything because they only come in contact with the paper, right? I guess I could be wrong. I think I was once. Just kidding!! I'd really love to get into the edible images.

The edible ink cartridges only work in certain Canon bubble-jet printers (sold everywhere) or canon style printers sold by the edible imaging industry. You have to have a dedicated print head that has only been used with edible inks. An HP won't work and you won't want to switch between edible inks and regular inks (health reasons).

Lisa Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 3:38am
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanni

The icing paper and cartridged can be ordered from KOPYCAKE-the prices are pretty reasonable and I ordered my cartridges and ink together. I have a Cannon Pixma IP4000. I would appreciate the book too! I really like my printer-have used it several times! Thanks, Santa!

I Pm'd it to you.

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 8:53pm
post #30 of 52

Lisa,
Your cakes are amazing! I recently bought the canon I560 and I am having so much trouble with the inks. Everything prints out green. I have cleaned and deep cleaned the print head. I even bought a new one and that didn't help. Any suggestions? I waited so long to get this and now I'm having so many problems. Has this happened to anyone else? I even emailed Kopykake about it but all they told me was sometimes you have to deep clean quite a few time. Which I have already done. I am at a loss. Also how could I get a copy of your book? I would love to have a copy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%