Ta Dah...my First Fbct

Decorating By occakes Updated 27 Dec 2005 , 5:52am by SarahJane

occakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
occakes Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 18

This is my first attempt at fbct. (Sorry about the lighting. It was much prettier in real life. The light in that room was not so good.) I needed a cake for my daughter's church youth group Christmas party. I was surprised at how long it took me to "color" in the transfer. It turned out ok, I guess, but I have two questions...

1. After I placed the transfer on the cake, there was a lip of icing around the transfer that was a lot higer than the cake. I tried to smooth it the best I could, but it still had a lump all the way around it. Is there a way to avoid this or fix it?

2. How do you smooth the icing as you color the transfer? Some of mine looked like little squiggles of icing in the spaces.
LL

17 replies
LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 18

I haven't done a fbct yet. So, I can't answer your questions.

BUT, your cake looks great!

rachaelwelch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachaelwelch Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 18

Love the cake and transfer, and of course the cake's message as well! thumbs_up.gif Unfortunately I have no experience with FBCT, but I just wanted to say - GREAT JOB! icon_biggrin.gif

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 18

Good Job. Very cute!! thumbs_up.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 18

The cake looks great!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the lip of icing around the image. But as for the "squiggles"...after my image has lightly crusted, I gently tap on the icing to press it against the board I am working on, and the front of my images always come out smooth - no squiggles!

(Also, I like to work these on my glass cutting board...that way i can slide the image out from under my work, hold up to the light, and see the front of my image. It helps me to fill any voids I may not have otherwiase seen!)

vanna49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanna49 Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 18

I am fairly new fbct also but I have fixed this problem in 2 ways ..one is to press the transfer into the iced cake and smooth using the viva paper towel method...or put a border around the transfer

occakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
occakes Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks for your comments. I will try your suggetions on my next attempt icon_smile.gif .

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 18

Looking good.

Afer you place the fbct on the cake, take some cornstarch on your finger and smooth out the wrinkles.

Some people put a border around the fbct.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 18

Can't really answer your questions since I've only done 1 FBCT, but yours looks great!

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 18

so cute! thumbs_up.gif
to avoid the 'lip' i do one of two things:
1. (like mentioned before) put a border around it
2. make the transfer to cover the whole cake. for example, if you're making a 8" round, trace the pan onto the paper with your picture on it. draw your picture, then fill in the background as part of the transfer. (basically make an 8" round transfer) then it'll go all the way to the edge of the cake and there will be no lip
sorry it's so wordy, i'm not that good at explaining stuff.
hope this helps icon_lol.gif

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 2:21am
post #11 of 18

Great cake! I love that little sheep.....he's so cute! I just want to eat him up!

I have never done a transfer before. Are there instructions on this website?

Where do you get your images from?

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 18

Beautiful!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 2:51am
post #13 of 18

I am too lazy to mess with a FBCT, but yours looks great! You did a really good job and it looks like it was a pretty large picture! thumbs_up.gif

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 3:51am
post #14 of 18

I hope you entered this in the contest. It is adorable. Great job on the FBCT!!!!

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 18

I just have to add my compliment too! Super cute cake! I love those country crafty looking designs! I bet everyone loved it!
Great job,
Heather

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 18

Your cake is wonderful. The transfer came out great. thumbs_up.gif

When I do transfers, I use an 8X12 acrylic picture frame, the cheap box-y kind, and take out the cardboard insert. I do the transfer on the frame so when I'm done, I hold it up to the ceiling light and look under it to see where I need to smooth out the transfer more. That seems to help. (It's much like gmcakes glass cuttingboard)

kos

artsygal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsygal Posted 26 Dec 2005 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 18

I'm not generally a fan of the country crafty look at all.. but that was too adorable for words. I love it!

Jas

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 5:52am
post #18 of 18

I've never done a BCT, but I just wanted to say that I really love your cake. It is really cute and focuses on the true meaning of Christmas. Good Job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%