Here It Is! My First Disaster... I Mean Cake! Lol

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 29 Jan 2006 , 6:43am by DiscoLady

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 23

Here is the pic of my first cake that went very bad almost from the get go. It was salvaged from 2 layers that were severely stuck to the bottoms of their pans. It is a German Chocolate Birthday cake for my hubby. It's not what I was wanting it to be. I wanted to show y'all something spectacular for my first cake icon_cry.gif

Susan
LL
LL

22 replies
sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 23

For your first cake I think it turned out great, looks yummy too.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 23

Hi Susan,

I think that you did a wonderful job on your cake.

Stop being so hard on yourself, we have all had cakes stick before.

Great save and icing.

Lazy_Susan Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 23

Thank you! I'm sure the more I do the more confidence I will get icon_smile.gif BTW I also made the doily that the cake is sitting on

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 23

I think u did a wonderful job for your first you should had seen my first, It was not pretty.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 23

A woman with many talents...love your dollie.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 23

When you first started crocheting (sp?) were your pieces as intricate as your beautiful doily? Making cakes is the same thing, little steps and with each one you learn something new and you get that much more comfortable with it. Your cake looks wonderful and I'm sure your hubby was pleased as well. Look at your cakes a year from now and you'll see just how far you will have gone. Like Doug said in another post, "Practice makes proficient!".

Just think of all the yummy fun you'll have practicing! icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 23

Thank you for all the very nice words. I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif When the cakes stuck to the pans I was ready to just give up figuring I wasn't cut out for this but you know what? I really want to do this and I am going to continue practicing. I guess I am so hard on myself because I am a bit of a perfectionist. I want to be as good as y'all right now without having to wait! lol

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 2:15am
post #9 of 23

I see cake....with yummy gooy (keep me away or I'll stick my finger in it for a big swipe) icing well presented.

so, what's the problem....other than I can't reach through this screen and snag a piece!?!?!

ya dun gud! icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 2:46am
post #10 of 23

Thank you. I just woke up and saw that there was a huge chunk of it missing. Hubby sliced into it when I was asleep! lol He said it was very good and that I will be a good Cake Decorator. icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 2:56am
post #11 of 23

The good thing about german chocolate is you can disguise any errors with the icing! icon_wink.gif I think the cake looks delicious! Did your cake stick when you tried to remove it from the pans??? You might try using Wilton cake release to grease your pans...it works great and you will not have trouble with your cakes sticking. Awesome job on your first cake! icon_smile.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 3:33am
post #12 of 23

It looks DELICIOUS! I think you did a great job, the german chocolate icing is always hard for me to work with. (I've had it tear up my cakes as I was trying to ice them!) DH is right, I'm sure you're going to be great at this...anyone with patience to make such a beautiful doilly should have no problem with cake decorating!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:18am
post #13 of 23

I think it looks great!! I really like those traditional kinds of cakes just done simple sometimes. It's kind of like old fashioned homemade goodness and I think we all need that sometimes!!!!

Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:19am
post #14 of 23

Thank you. I just tried a piece of it and actually it IS very good. I will definitely keep trying. I'm thinking about trying to get a Christmas Cake done before Christmas gets here. Have to do it in the next couple of days though cause I work right up until Christmas Day!

Thank you EVERYONE for all the kind words! I love CC!!!!!!!!!

Tashezzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashezzie Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 10:42am
post #15 of 23

WOW!!! For your first cake, it looks perfect! You dang perfectionists... do you ever do a sloppy job? *LOL* But don't worry, I am one myself and understand how every little detail has to be right. I get very frustrated if it doesn't turn out how I wanted it to. But girl, I can see now that your future cakes are going to be masterpieces! thumbs_up.gif

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 3:42pm
post #16 of 23

I don't know what you really have to complain about! Your cake looks delicious! Great job!

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 3:47pm
post #17 of 23

Very nice it looks wonderful.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 23

Your cake is very pretty and I love your presentation with the candlesticks and doily!

A little skill and alot of practice with a huge amount of determination...that's what it takes!

Keep up the good work!

SweetAsLemmons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAsLemmons Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 23

I'm sitting at work drooling on my desk. Im STARVING and that cake looks sooooooooo yummy right now!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 23

I think the cake looks good enough to eat... icon_biggrin.gif
A little hint that I have learned about cakes sticking in the pan is to line just the bottom of the pan with parchment paper (o yeah grease the pan real good too) I leave the parchment on til it's torted and filled them peel it off and either stack the next one on or finish frosting it. Keeps the top of the torte together til I finish stuff. Anywho... the cake still looks good enough to scarf......mmmmmmmmm chocolate, mmmmmmm.....coconut........mmmmmmmm.......carmel.........mmmmmmmmmm

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:22pm
post #21 of 23

I just wanted to say that I think it looks great! Nice job.

Angie

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:18pm
post #22 of 23

The cake looks great! It may not be what you had in mind, but the fact that it looks that good after all the problems, so me that you will go very far in what ever you do. Keep up the good work!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 6:43am
post #23 of 23

Line your pans with parchment paper and your cakes will never stick. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%