Crock-Pot Ham?

Lounge By leily Updated 19 Dec 2005 , 2:05am by nashsmom

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 12:22am
post #1 of 6

At work we are having a lunch potluck this week. I offered to do the main dish, Ham. I was thinking buying the pre-sliced ham and then keeping it warm in the crock-pot in the morning until lunch time. Has anyone done this? What is the best way to give it a great flavor and not over cook it? Is the slice ham going to work or do I need to look at doing a different one?

Also how big, or how much should I get? There are 3 women and 6 men.

I appreciate anyone advice. Last time I did a ham in the crock-pot at home it didn't turn out, however we weren't able to eat it that day and it ended up cooking way to long....

Thanks for any help!

Leily

5 replies
Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 2:00am
post #2 of 6

Uhhh...if it didnt work last time....

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 4:11am
post #3 of 6

Ok, had to dig out my crock pot cookbook. This is really good!

Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp horseradish with enough cola (yes coke, pepsi, RC, whatever) to make a smooth paste. Rub this onto a 3-4 lb precooked ham. Place the ham in the crockpot, pour 1/4 cup of cola over it and cook on low 6-10 hours or high 2-3 hours.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 11:11am
post #4 of 6

I've used the same recipe as nashsmom with good results. You could also use gingerale instead of cola, it gives a different flavor, still sweet, but not coyingly so.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 6

Great thanks for the recipe. I will definitely use it. Hopefully this time it will actually get eaten when it is suppose to. Last time My BF and I had an emergency, had to leave the house and we forgot to turn off the crock-pot, it wa not a pretty site when we got home.

Leily

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

Happened to me with chili. I had it on high, then forgot to turn it to low before I went to work. I didn't think anything could burn in a crock pot. Was I proved wrong! Yuck! I hope the ham recipe works well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%