You Wanted Egg Shell In There, Right?

Decorating By rachaelwelch Updated 8 Jan 2006 , 10:23pm by traci

rachaelwelch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachaelwelch Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 12

Ok... Well this is really a crisis averted, but I was starting to bake the cakes for my sister's party on Saturday last night from scratch. I had my dry ingredients all together, had already creamed my 4 sticks of butter with 2 cups of sugar, and added an egg successfully, and then...I dropped an egg shell into the batter!!! With blender on!

Lesson learned...Never again will I add an egg while my mixer is running. Always turn mixer off FIRST! Ha! icon_redface.gif

11 replies
barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 12

I used to crack the eggs above the mix then drop in, but got tired of fishing out shells, so now I crack in a different bowl then add to the mix.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 12

ah ha....a new marketing slogan:

calcium enriched cakes! build your bones and teeth! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 12

I always crack them into a separate bowl and then add them to the batter...once my mom had added a few eggs already and on the last one...it was spoiled..so she had to throw the whole thing out..and they were fresh eggs...sometimes u just get a bad one

**edited for terrible spelling**

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 12

If, however, this happens to you again, just stop mixing right away and run the batter through a fine mesh seive. It'll get all those crunchies out of there.

Lisa

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:41am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefairy18

I always crack them into a separate bowl and then add them to the batter...once my mom had added a few eggs already and on the last one...it was spoiled..so she had to throw the whole thing out..and they were fresh eggs...sometimes u just get a bad one

**edited for terrible spelling**

Same, same here. I had a bad one, and have never fully recovered from the trauma. icon_surprised.gif

I always crack them in something seperate and add them one at a time. If I get a bad one, I discard it, wash the bowl or cup or whatever I was cracking them in, and start all over.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 5:13am
post #7 of 12

I did this recently with a cheesecake batter. It was a lot of fun fishing out all of those eggshell pieces. I learned my lesson too, always turn off the mixer first!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 5:34am
post #8 of 12

This is totally off subject but once my Momma was boiling eggs in a rather thin metal pot. She forgot all about the eggs that were boiling. I was back in my room and I heard a loud explosion!!!! I went running into the kitchen and found my mother laughing and frantically trying to get the (now melted) pot off the burner because the water had boiled out and all the eggs inside were exploding! It was hilarious..... icon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 12

one of my biggest baking fears is making a wedding cake and hearing a guest yell "There's eggshell in here!" Because of that an unfortunate experience I'll describe in a minute, I always break my eggs in a separate bowl and add them one yolk at a time.

the unfortunate experience was when I was very new to baking and I grabbed a carton of eggs that was a little older than anticipated. (I know it's gross, but we were young, married and rarely cleaned out our fridge.) I cracked the egg right into my batter as the mixer was running and this putrid smell filled my kitchen. The eggs were bad! Blah!!!! It took days to get the sulfurous stink out of my house.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 12

Yup, I try to crack my eggs into a seperate bowl before adding, I don't lose count that way when it's a large batch.

I borrowed eggs from SIL...however she neglected to tell me that she had boiled some and couldn't remember which carton she put them in but I found them!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 12

I don't know if this works but I read recently that if you lose some shell in your cake batter, it'll sink to the bottom after the cake is baked and you can pick it off. Anyone know if that works?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 12

This is true! I did a cake about a week ago and accidently got an eggshell in the batter. I was unable to get it out. I went ahead and bakes the cake and was able to pick it off after taking the cake out of the pan. I was so glad! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%