Which Type Of Cutters?

Baking By joquita Updated 16 Dec 2005 , 6:54am by joquita

joquita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joquita Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:24am
post #1 of 6

I've never done any cookie decorating but am excited to try. I was going to order some cookie cutters but I didn't realize there were so many different kinds. Which type would you recommend (plastic, tin, copper)? Are they all dishwasher safe? thanks so much!!!

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:32am
post #2 of 6

type: yes -- I have all three, several of which are hierlooms. If I like it, I buy it.

and I handwash all of them, especially the tin ones which can be easily bent.

If you've ever watch Good Eats, Alton Brown swears by plastic only (but doesn't tell how he cleans them).

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 6:01am
post #3 of 6

I have all three. I have come to like my plastic ones better because, over time, some of my tin ones have become rusted.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 6:36am
post #4 of 6

I use metal sometmes but prefer the plastic ones.. they dont ben as much and as I was making some light bulb cookies for some bouquets the cutter broke at the rivets... so as long as they are put together well metal should be ok. As for the plastic ones, I put in dishwasher sometimes but usually hand wash them. The Large Wilton ones with the grips are my favirite though.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 6:43am
post #5 of 6

I also like the large Wilton ones with the grips. My fave though are copper. I always get them from coppergifts.com. They are very well made, ship promptly, and they have a great assortment! I've even had a custom one done! I cannot say enough good things about this company. I just tried the plastic Wilton ones last night and I thought they were pretty decent. Personally, I stay away from tin, never had any luck with tin stuff, it always rusts. Have fun on your cookie adventures!

joquita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joquita Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 6:54am
post #6 of 6

can the copper ones be washed in the dishwasher? I think I will deifnitely get seom plastic ones. I looked at that website...wow! what a selection! I'm going to order some copper ones as well. Just wondering about the cleaning b/c I couldn't find anything on their website saying how they should be cleaned. thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%