Room Temperature Ingredients

Decorating By lisalamm Updated 31 Mar 2005 , 2:48pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

lisalamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamm Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 11

Does everyone here use room temperature ingredients(eggs, butter, etc.) when baking? If so, how long do you let the ingredients sit out before baking?

10 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 11

I've read to leave ingredients out for an hour but my eggs, butter and milk are always right out of the fridge with no problems so far.

Debbie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 11

If I can remember, I'll take out the eggs and milk a couple hours before the cake has to be baked. I tend to forget though and just use them straight out of the fridge. There is a small difference in how the cake rises. It will tend to rise more evenly if the ingredients are room temp but not so much of a difference that I worry when they're cold.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 11

I take the eggs & butter out of the frig at least 1 hour before I bake. I just take the milk out when I start to mix up everything. I do see a difference especially in the butter. Never lumps when the butter is soft~

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, you should let the eggs and butter warm up to room temp. before baking. I'm not sure whether I learned that on Good Eats (Alton Brown's show) or from a cookbook, but it is quite important for the baking. If you use milk in the baking, let that come up to room temp., too. If you forget to take the eggs out early enough, you can warm them faster in a bowl of warm water.

Blessings,
Angel Wendy

tcturtleshell Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 3:16am
post #6 of 11

AngelWendy~
I love the Good Eats show!! My son (who's 17) & I try to watch Alton Brown every day! He is so interesting!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 11

is there a reason for this? icon_confused.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 5:38am
post #8 of 11

For what Diane? Did we get off the subject or something???

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 7:13am
post #9 of 11

I think she was asking if there was a reason for leaving things out before using them to bake with. icon_wink.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 11

I don't leave my ingredients to get to room temp and I have never had a problem with rising. I would hate to run the risk of salmonella or something like that.

**ok, the only thing I leave at room temperature is the butter, but no on the eggs and milk
and if it's icing and it uses cream cheese, then I bring it up to room temp or otherwise it's hard to use icon_cry.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 11

Unless you are making a pie crust (which is the direct opposite; here you want butter that is almost frozen), I'm a staunch supporter of having your butter at room temp. That means about 70 degrees on an instant read thermometer. I've tried making cookies, etc. with cold butter and the dough is just not the same; the butter does not cream well unless it is at room temp. The idea behind having the eggs and milk at room temp is that they will incoprporate easier into the mix. It's been my experience that this is true to a point, but not always necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%