I Need Fondant Bow Help Please

Decorating By my2kidsmom Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 11:18pm by fearlessbaker

my2kidsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2kidsmom Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:44am
post #1 of 7

I'm gonna attempt to make a bow, not the loopy kind, the shoe lace kind, and some accent pieces using the Wilton fondant. I've never worked with fondant before. It will not be ate. The bow will be in the center of the middle of the cake, will this slide down? How thick does the fondant need to be? Also, how does fondant dry? Fast, slow, does it tend to crack? Do I want the bow to be dry/hard? How do I store the finished pieces? Should I wait to attach the bow as late as possible? Would I just attach it with a little water? Any advice, tips, warnings etc. would be greatly appreciated. The cake is due next Sunday, March 4th.

6 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:16am
post #2 of 7

Have you had a look at these instructions??
http://www.cakecentral.com/article103-How-To-Make-a-Gumpaste-Bow.html

I have never made anything with the Wilton fondant, i tried it once and tried to make a plaque with it, and it took ages to dry, and didnt taste very good. Never used it again, but lots of ppl say that it is good for making stuff like what you plan.
Maybe someone that uses it often can give you some tips.

anyone???

cheers
Nati

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:54am
post #3 of 7

Is this the sort of bow you mean? I strengthend the fondant with gumpaste, at a 50/50 combination (this was ok because it was'nt eaten) I didd'nt find it dried to quickly whilst working with it as I made sure I kneaded the paste well before, making it more mallable HTH
LL

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

I use the instructions that Nati mentioned and use my pasta attachment to my KA to thin the strips. These bows are beautiful. I find though for me working with just fondant works best.

my2kidsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2kidsmom Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 7

I don't have access to gumpaste so I'll only be using fondant. I'm in a pinch so I thought I'd try to make the Wilton stuff work, if possible. Thanks.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

Can you get some Gum - Tex or other hardening agent to add to your fondant? Those shoestring bow loops will need a strengthening/hardening agent added to them since they tend to be thinner and of course, are skinnier than loopy bow loops. icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 7

2kidsmom, You can get gumpaste mix from www.coutrykitchensa.com or get the recipe from www.nicholaslodge.com. You need Tylose for his recipe. Go to your search engine and search gumpaste recipes if you need more info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%