Color Problems!

Decorating By sarahleecookies Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 6:14pm by khufstetler

sarahleecookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahleecookies Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:23am
post #1 of 8

Everytime I do a cake that is white or light in color and has a darker frosting or fondant (mmf) design it always bleeds into the lighter color. Does anyone have some tips? It seems to happen no matter if I use MMF or buttercream. Could it be the color itself? I have tried wilton and Americolor. I have a wedding cake coming up that is white with deep burgundy lacework and Im terrified that the burgundy will run into the white MMF....PLEASE HELP!!! Any tips would be much appriciated!

7 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:33am
post #2 of 8

wish I could help but here's a bump

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 8

Yikes, I haven't had this happen yet too, so gonna BUMP you back up to the top and hopefully someone has some words of wisdom for you! Jen

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 8

Have you tried letting the lighter icing dry before adding the accent colors?

notsoperfectcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notsoperfectcakes Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 8

HERES A BUMP HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 8

I've never had MMF bleed. I just expect it with strong colors in buttercream...but this is a new one for me. Are ypu perhaps using an ultra-soft buttercream that's leaching the color out of the MMF? Like, maybe a French or Itallian meringue icing? I've always used at least a lightly crusting buttercream, because I figured it needed some body to hold up MMF accents. I've used dark brown against cream, red and orange against white, black against white and not had any issues. Just venturing a guess....but I'm suggesting using a buttercream that's less moist.

sarahleecookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahleecookies Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks, maybe it is too moist...I use the wilton recipe for buttercream any others out there that might work better? Thanks again!

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 8

I can't help, but I've had a somewhat similar experience and am trying to figure out why.

I made a batch of RBC and colored it deep violet with the Wilton Paste Colors... it was very pliable and worked perfectly for the cutouts I was doing, but when I layed them on the wax paper to "set up" or whatever - I was left with almost a fuschia greasy residue when I took them up (even stained my counter). I think it probably would have bled onto a light CBC cake, and I'm glad I didn't have to find that out.

I was kind of thinking that my RBC might have been too greasy and adding powdered sugar might have helped. I haven't had the problem with MMF...

HTH in any way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%