I Need A Not So Sweet Buttercream

Baking By s_raines Updated 2 Jan 2006 , 5:17am by sweet4tooth

s_raines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_raines Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 12

I need a good buttercream icing but not so sweet. I usually use a all shortening icing but it is waaay too sweet. Can anyone help me out??? Thanks

11 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 12

Try an Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) or Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) Both of those are delcious and much less sweet.

Berta

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 12

I second the IMBC ... its' SO yummy and more rich than sweet!

s_raines Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the info. But where in the store could I find the powdered egg whites? This is for a birthday party for my 3 yr old.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:13am
post #5 of 12

You probably need to go to a Micheal's, AC Moore type of store that carries the Wilton products. I've never seen meringue(sp) in the grocery store. Wal-Mart also carries it.

As far as sweet icing is concerned, I use 1/3 each of vanilla, almond and butter flavoring in my icing and everyone raves about it!

Leslie

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:37am
post #6 of 12

Try this buttercream:
6 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
add and whip at low speed:
3/4 cup boiling water whip until smooth and cool add 2 3/4 vegatable shortening and 1 1/2 slightly chilled butter cut into 1 inch pieces increase the speed to medium-high whip until light and fluffy doubled in volume 10 to 20 min. yield 9 1/2 cups. hope you like it.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 11:03am
post #7 of 12

They sell meringuepowder at some grocery store but.. it not in the food section. It's usually in the section that has baking sheets and pans. I know Meijer has a Wilton section back in there and they have not only meringue powder, but colors and frosting and flavoring,etc.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 12:47am
post #8 of 12

Disovling a dash of salt in the water you use for your icing can help cut down on the sweetness some. icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 1:14am
post #9 of 12

I live in Maryland. Here I can find "Just Whites" (powdered, pasturized) egg whites in the baking isle. At the grocery store I shop at I find them near the powdered milk, near the cake mixes.

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 5:01am
post #10 of 12

I make my buttercream with 1/2c shortening, 1/2c butter, I add vanilla and then I add less then the recommended amount of powdered sugar, it's less sweet that way. The other way is just too sweet, and i find that I get a lot of comments that it's so good, and not too rich or sweet like the others. Hope this helps. I go by the Wilton buttercream icing recipe, I just use less sugar.

s_raines Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 12

thank everyone, i am gonna have to give all this a try !!!

sweet4tooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet4tooth Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 5:17am
post #12 of 12

I use salt and a few drops of lemon juice. This will taker of the sweetness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%