Instructions For Boo...

Decorating By Fishercakes Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 1:22am by sweetideas

Fishercakes Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, first off, THANK YOU ALL!! I received soo many wonderful comments on this cake and to be honest...I am very, very proud of it! icon_lol.gif

This cake is made of six 8" rounds. There are three different flavors, chocolate, yellow, and cinnamon swirl with buttercream icing. I stacked five layers and them cut them down the middle so I could carve out some cake in order for it to hold the doll (I was afraid of popping her head off and just using it because she is a "Babbling Boo" talking doll and it was also part of the little girl's birthday gift). I used three dowel rods behind her head to help support the top layer, her "hood". I had to "build" a wall of icing to connect layers 5 and 6 together behind her head. The arms are styrofoam cones covered in buttercream (the fondant made them too heavy). I used popsicle sticks to attach the arms. Her feet are made of cake and icing. Her eyes are also styrofoam covered in icing and attached with popsicle sticks (I wish I had something longer to attach them icon_redface.gif ). Her teeth are madde of MMF fondant (first time making this). I also added her scales to the back of the costume using buttercream icing. It was a lot of work but well worth the look in her eyes when she saw it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif !

I got this idea from the Wilton website, someone there had made it before. She had used 6" and just the doll head, so I had to accomodate for the whole doll.

Sorry it is so long! icon_redface.gif
LL
LL

9 replies
Doug Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 10

W O W ! ! icon_biggrin.gif

so well done and simply adorable

sofiasmami Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 10

I commented on the gallery ... but just had to say it again .. I love ..love...love...love this one !!

Calejo Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 10

You did an excellent job on this cake!

flayvurdfun Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 10

arent you the cleaver one........ did you see these instructions somewhere or did you engineer it all ? I am still just amazed!

Fishercakes Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 10

I had actually seen this cake on the Wilton website and when asked the creator had stated that she used four 6" rounds total and just the doll head.

I had a whole doll to incorporate so I bumped up the size and made as many layers as it would take to achieve the look that I wanted. I would have to say that the hardest part was building the "wall of icing" behind her head. I had to pipe in a layer, wait for it to crust before I could pipe in another, etc, until the fith layer touched the "hood" of her costume. I have hot hands and I guess that is why it ha different shades of purple oon the wall of icing.

So I guess I did come up with most of it on my own. It took about three evenings of baking (I only have one 8" round pan icon_redface.gif ) and then about 10 hours of decorating and engineering. But I was so happy with it and so was the little girl! It was her 3rd birthday.

Thanks everyone!

stephanie214 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 10

Hi Fishercakes,

This is such a realistic cake...she is so adorable.

You have every right to be so proud thumbs_up.gif

Forgot to tell you that all your cakes are amazing.

MrsMissey Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 10

That is just incredible! Great job!!

Fishercakes Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 12:25am
post #9 of 10

Thank you Stephanie, I really appreciate that!

Thanks Mrs.Missey.

Thanks to everyone!!

sweetideas Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #10 of 10

wow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%