Practing On Cakes...

Decorating By FaithsPlace Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 3:20am by WAS937

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #1 of 7

Ok, I am still pretty new to cake decorating...I have only been doing it for a couple of months but, I fell in love! I was wondering, is there a better way to practice aside from actually baking cakes? I practice making the flowers etc with out a cake but, I want to practice more on borders and basket weave etc. I really want to be able to practice more on a daily basis but, I cant keep cake in the house, lol....I think I have gained 4 pounds since I started this, icon_lol.gif Anywho, any suggestions would be awesome!!

6 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:02am
post #2 of 7

I used to practice on the outside of my cake pan. Now I practice on dummies.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:02am
post #3 of 7

Don't laugh, but once when I wanted to practice on square cakes, I wrapped a box in saran wrap and iced it. icon_lol.gif

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:04am
post #4 of 7

Get a practice board at a local supply store. That is what I used when taking the Wilton classes. You do not have to use cake that way. Another thing would be to give cakes away, you would have some happy neighbors!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

you can order cake dummies at dallasfoam.com. they have a nice selection and great prices. i'm sending in my order next week. i understand you can use the dummies over again and again. good luck to you. I know what you mean about falling in love. I am too!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:17am
post #6 of 7

I tell all my students to flip the cake pan over and pipe it with decorator icing. Make it all white so you can use it over and over.

WAS937 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAS937 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:20am
post #7 of 7

I also use the outside of my cake pans but not the good metal ones I use those rubber style of cake pans and a rubber spatula so all you have to do when you're done is wipe it off like a squeegee and you can reuse the icing! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%