Need Help Revising This Recipe.

Baking By thin4life Updated 19 Dec 2005 , 2:40am by llj68

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 1:48am
post #1 of 10

I got this recipe from a friend and the taste is absolutely wonderful but the dough is extremely sticky and I was not able to roll it out. I scooped them on a cookie tray and baked them, they came out almost like mini cakes. I am not sure if all I need to do is add more flour or what, any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

1-3/4 c. sugar
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 tsp. salt
4 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
2 T. hot water
1 c. sour cream
4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg

In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter, salt yolks and whole eggs. Dissolve baking soda in hot water; add with sour cream to butter mixture. In spearate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and nutmeg; add to egg mixture. Dough will be sticky (YEH, TELL ME ABOUT IT). Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Roll chilled dough on a well-floured surface. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not browned.

9 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 1:55am
post #2 of 10

Try rolling the dough between two sheets of parchment...then re chill...

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 1:57am
post #3 of 10

There looks to be plenty of flour in the recipe, but adding a little extra (up to 1/2 cup max) might help... did you chill it long enough? Did you make any substitutions (like margarine instead of butter? Soft margarines in the tubs contain a LOT more water than hard margarine or butter...)

thin4life Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:50am
post #4 of 10

I chilled it for a couple of days. There was no way to roll this out, even between parchment paper, that's how sticky this dough was.

thin4life Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:19am
post #5 of 10

Please look at recipe and tell me what I need to do so that the dough isn't so sticky. Would less eggs and more flour help? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Caribou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribou Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 1:55am
post #6 of 10

Lots of egg product and with the sour cream, perhaps more flour is all that is needed. Add some to the dough, as some one suggested, and use it on the board and rolling pin. If they came out like cakes, maybe there is something else wrong with the recipes...what kind of cookies are they supposed to be?

There is a great recipes for Sugar cookies in the article section of this site and it's titled No Fail for a reason. They come out great, every time. Good luck!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:43am
post #7 of 10

Bad recipe overall. Too much egg. The baking soda in water doesn't make sense but because you have sour cream you could use bsoda rather than bpowder.

I'd leave out the egg whites and the water and soda and add a bit more salt to make up for the lost saltiness of the soda.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 11:17am
post #8 of 10

There seems to be to much going on. It sounds more like a cake than cookie. Did it taste like cake?

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 10

I was wondering as well what type of cookie this is, is it supposed to be more cake like? It is very similar to a recipe someone gave me that is supposed to be the same as the Lofthouse cookies all the stores sell, and they are a rather plain, cakelike cookie. Maybe it's just not the type of cookie you are looking for?

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10

I would for sure nix the water--I have never even heard of having to mix soda with water before--I always just add it in. also--I would proabably nix at least 1-2 yolks.

Also--if they are turning out really puffy, you could be beating them too much. Once you get the eggs in there--if you beat them hard and fast, you are going to get little cakes. I mix just to incorporate eggs and then mix on the lowest speed thereafter so as not to whip too much air into the dough.

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%