Once Again, It's Time To Play "price That Cake!"

Business By rainbowz Updated 21 Dec 2005 , 4:43am by traci

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 12:46am
post #1 of 12

OK, people, this attached below is the cake we're pricing.

It's a ten-inch tilted with an 8" on top, so it should serve about 40 people. Chocolate-coffee flavoured cake, Oreo/whipped cream filling, pretty much exactly like it is in the WBH book, page 65, except I made a second tier instead of just one layer (because I only have one 10" pan).

So what do you think it would be worth?

Of course there are some factors to consider like location (small town vs big city), general costs of goods and so on, but regardless, give me your estimate. Ballpark figures are fine. And note if you are in a high, medium or low price area.

Thanks!
LL

11 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 12

I would guess somewhere around $65 to $75..curious to see what others suggest!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 12

hm, we charge a lot more for cakes in Australia than some of you guys seem to. Even with the cheapest cake base, I wouldnt do a cake like this for any less than US$120(AU$160)
The Cheesecake shop here, which is a sort of cake wholesaler, charges $US50(AU$65) for an undecorated, dark chocolate mud cake, simply covered in dark chocolate ganache, it's a 12 inch sheetcake, with absolutely nothing to it.
Also according to the serving sizes i use, this cake would serve 62, I go by the Wilton servings.
Nati

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 12

have you put it on the matrix???

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 12

I would price it per serving you say about 40 so at
l.50 keeping it low would be $60.00.

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

Nope. Well, that's not quite true: I tried, but I got all flummoxed and the way it's set up didn't take all the ingredients into account. I do know that all the ingredients to make it cost just under $20. It took about 5 hrs to make (mix & decorate), another hour or so on the lettering, then set up and clean up, about one more. So 7 hrs labour. I dunno if thats' easier to plop into the matrix but if you have it, see what that gets you.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 12

I would sell that cake for 80$. I am in a higher priced area, suburbs of Vancouver, B.C. I used to live in Louisiana and I would have sold it for 65$-70$ there. Ingredients here, and especially cake supplies are more expensive.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

help please....what is the matrix??

(and should I alert Neo? <-- couldn't resist icon_lol.gif )

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 12

I have dont that cake, see my gallery, on a three tier. But used slightly smaller pans. It was a lot of work because of all the colors, and if you used thier icing, which I did, it takes a little longer. I would reall go no less then 70 but I would think 80 would make it worth it

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

help please....what is the matrix??

(and should I alert Neo? <-- couldn't resist icon_lol.gif )

Here you go:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5711-matrix.html

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 12

For the type of cake flavor and filling you used, my normal price would be $26 for the 8 inch round and $41 for the 10 inch round. Total for both would be around $67. I live in a Med. to high priced area.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 4:43am
post #12 of 12

The cake is really beautiful with all the bright colors. In my area...60.00 would be about right. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%