Help, Small Puppy For Christmas

Lounge By melodyscakes Updated 30 Dec 2005 , 2:53am by Bekki

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 18

we have had a huge st. banard dog for years, and she died this summer, so i thought i would get kids a puppy for chirstmas this year. but i want something completely different. i would like a very small dog, about 5 pounds that would live in the house. i dont want want one that yeps all the time.
got any advice on this? i'm sure that some of my cc friends have cute little dogs that you could tell me about.
thanks!
melody

17 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 18

First ... do yourself, the kids and especially the dog a favour ... buy it AFTER Christmas! Holiday time is an awful time to bring an animal into your home ... there's so much chaos, and strange people, and comings and goings...very confusing for a puppy! Get a poster or photo of a puppy, with a note to wrap for the kids. The you can all go pick one out in a week or two when things have settled down.

Many reputable breeders/pet stores will actually refuse to sell animals this time of year... just because it's SO hard on the animals (and a lot of people get buyers remorse when they don't realize how much work a puppy is... obviously not an issue for you

My Mom had a Bichon Frisee ... very sweet little dog, absolutely adorable, not particularly yippy... but not great with little children (if the kids are 7-8 or older, it would be fine though)

Jack Russell terriers are HIGH energy dogs ... smart as anything, but they can be a handful.

Those are the only little dogs I know anything about!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 18

melodyscakes, I am a VET TECH of 13-14 years and I agree with Mel C completely. Wrap up a bowl, leash, and a crate, save the puppy for a few weeks down the road.

As far as breeds go, a mut is Always your best bet. No genetic history means, no genetic problems to pass on to offspring.
If a pure breed is a must I recommend beagles, schnauzers, min pins, but again depends on the age of the children. Most small breeds were origionally for killing varments, AKA not the greatest with kids. There are of course exceptions to every rule and the way they are trained plays a large role in this as well.
If you have questions about anything from housebreaking to medical questions please PM me. My main role at the vet hospital has always been head surgery tech for a 5 doc. practice but since having my son I have cut my hours to 9 a week and focus only on client education. I believe a educated client is the best owner and that is what we are there for.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 18

I would say a yorkie. My in-laws had one and he was great not hyper or noisey and was great with kids.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 18

I have a Shih-Tzu. He's not 5lbs, but is a small dog. I really like him and he isn't a yappy dog. When he does bark he has a nice good bark. Being a single woman living alone that helps me feel better.

I grew up with cocker spaniels and one day hope to get one, but Riley sort of fell into my lap and he's been a good dog to have.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 18

If your kids are old enough not to abuse the dog, then I'd say a yorkie. Several friends have the teeny tiny yorkies and I was suprised that such a tiny dog is kid friendly. They are expensive though.

Beagles and weiner dogs can sometimes be very agressive. As the previous poster stated, they are hunting dogs.

We had 3 different poodle/terrier mutts when I was growing up and they were the best. No shedding. Playful, but not spastic. I was horrified to learn that now you can't find a poodle/terrier mutt. The cheap poodle is history and the expensive Bischon Frise (sp?) is all the rage. Those fluff balls are also very expensive.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:13am
post #7 of 18

YORKIE YORKIE YORKIE or
MALTESE MALTESE MALTESE or
SHITZU SHITZU SHITZU!!!!!!!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 3:43am
post #8 of 18

I also work a lot with dogs and NEWTODECORATING is on the money. Not all small dogs (especially under 10lbs) are good to have when you have children under 7-8. Our shelter won't adopt out a small one to a family with very young kids - for the family's sake and the dog.

I'd also recommend adopting. I don't know if you have a local rescue shelter but most take any all kinds of dogs of all age ranges. We have puppies to old and infirmed. Some pure breds and some awesome mixes. Maybe the kids will like the idea of "saving" a dog and adopting?

Whichever you choose - good luck and enjoy the new pup. thumbs_up.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 3:50am
post #9 of 18

thank you guys!!!! i did research and found a yorkie poo that i really like....but because of cost, and the business of the season, we are going to wait a bit before getting a puppy.
i will still research the little dogs you guys mentioned.
thanks!
melody

saas74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saas74 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 4:02am
post #10 of 18

I just wanted to add that we have 2 cockapoos and they are great. No shedding, smart, not yappy, smallish (20-30lbs) and my 2 year old nearly kills them with kindness every day and they love it. amy

dishguyswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dishguyswife Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 11:57am
post #11 of 18

Being the lucky icon_rolleyes.gif owner of a jack russell/rat terrier mix and two labs, don't do a jack/rat mix. She is a handful. I would rather have several labs to one of her. She is really good with my 7 year old but is very hyper, hates cats, and really mouthy.

We used to breed labs and I agree with the rest, don't do a puppy at Christmas, I alway suggest to people that if they are buying it as a gift to their children maybe wait until Valentine's day.

Good Luck!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 18

I love the mutts but I have friends who got their kids a schnoodle (1/2 schnauzer and 1/2 poodle). Smartest dog I have ever seen. Very sweet too.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

I love the mutts but I have friends who got their kids a schnoodle (1/2 schnauzer and 1/2 poodle). Smartest dog I have ever seen. Very sweet too.

And what fun to be able to say "I have a Schnoodle! Sounds like a Dr Seuss critter!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 18

Oh I love all of those cutie pie mixes! Labradoodles, schnoodles, yorkie-poodles (I like to say Pookies), cockapoos, etc. So cute and cuddly.

Saas74, you have any pics of your cockapoos?

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 18

hey all i agree also that a week or 2 after the big day is always a better way to go. i keep thinking of the movies and the poor pups wrapped up in the box under the tree!! but i had a cocka poo for a few years until someone stole him from our yard when we moved into our new house. icon_cry.gif

i loved that boy...his name was syd (short for syd vicious not because he was ,because he had an awful under bite and looked like he was always snarling at you.) he was GREAT with all four of our kids and was only about 10-15 lbs. he did need to be groomed ALOT. but he was so cute after each visit.
[/img]

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

melodyscakes, I am a VET TECH of 13-14 years and I agree with Mel C completely. Wrap up a bowl, leash, and a crate, save the puppy for a few weeks down the road.

If a pure breed is a must I recommend beagles, schnauzers, min pins, but again depends on the age of the children. Most small breeds were origionally for killing varments, AKA not the greatest with kids.

TOTALLY agree with the first part of this quote! I love the idea of wrapping up all the accessories and saving the dog until AFTER the holiday!

As to the second statement--about the varments--I am literally LOL at this because I am picturing the kids I watch as "varments"! lol! Sorry--it's been a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG day with 5 kids ages 5 and under--they WERE varments today!

Sorry--just had to toss that in there!

Lisa

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 4:21am
post #17 of 18

Can I recommend obedience classes to go along with the new puppy? Most pups can start after their shots. They are great for you & your children along with your new canine, lots of fun too!

Bekki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekki Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 2:53am
post #18 of 18

If you wait until after the holidays and then go to a shelter, you will often find young dogs that were given as gifts to people who didn't request them and/or couldn't handle them. For example, a guy strolling the mall looking for a gift for his girlfriend sees an adorable puppy, buys it, presents it, but two weeks later it has feasted upon her shoe collection and it is taken to the shelter. Or she just can't afford the vet/food/toys/expenses. Or they break up and she can't stand having it around. Or she's ALLERGIC. And so on: I've seen it countless times. A great way to give a young dog a second chance.

Wrapping up the accessories is a fantastic pre-gift. And include a dog care book or a training book appropriate to your kids age so that they can be informed of the puppy's needs beforehand.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%