Wizard Of Oz Cupcakes, Ideas??

Decorating By Dustbunny Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 4:15am by ape

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 14

My daughters are munchkins in the high school wizard of oz play here. We are throwing a cast party afterwards and I am somehow in charge lol. I want to make something special so I was thinking cupcakes since there are 40+ kids. Any ideas for decorating? I am stumped...
I have looked at all of the wizard of oz cakes in the galleries and they are awesome but I need cupcake ideas and would like more of a munchkin theme than Dorothy and such.
Thanks!!!

13 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 14

oh the wizard of oz is one of my favorite movies!

I am thinking for me it would be easiest to make the toppers ahead of time. Then bake and decorate all of the cupcakes the same.

After baked put them into boxes, then ice the tops of all of them. Then you don't have to handle them with icing on them.

Once iced in box Add decorations for the top.

Ideas for the tops:
1) Yellow Brick road (i mean they do have the start of it in their city-could do this out of yellow fondant and imprint the bricks on it)
2) Lollipops (i love the lollipop guild)
3) Flowers (If I remember correctly she received a boquet of just spring flowers)

HTH, I can't wait to see what you decide on.
The fewer types of decorations

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 14

you could do a lion head , wand (for the good witch), red heels, green and black stripe(bad witch legs) or a witches hat....

thats all i have for now...HTH

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 14

Can you look online to find some little plastic picks to set into the cupcakes that have Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Lion on?

Or, can you do a cupcake cake with the design of the yellow brick road that starts in Munchkinland? You know, the swirl where she starts out on the path to Oz?

Lollipops are good (Lollipop guild), and oh, what about the ruby slippers? That is where Dorothy starts wearing them.

Good Luck! Let us know what you do.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 14

I'm seeing rainbows!!!!

Maybe each cupcake decorated like a rainbow....

OR.....the cupcakes arranged into a rainbow shape...each cupcake a solid color

That's it...i'm tired!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 14

Or you could do all the little accents on top of emerald green icing?

Lia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lia Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:20am
post #7 of 14

Wow those are all great ideas!

If I were doing it, I would probably do a nice green frosting because of the Emerald City. Then top it with chocolate pieces like Hearts(tin man), Shoes(Dorothy) etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Dustbunny Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 14

Wow you guys are good!! I knew coming here for ideas was a good move icon_smile.gif

I think I will go with green icing (emerald) yellow swirl (beginning of yellow brick road) and then a fondant piece on each cupcake. Or if I run out of time a lolipop in the center lol.

I do love the rainbow idea too, hmmmm. I'll post pics when I get them done. They are for the 11th of March icon_smile.gif

Dustbunny Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 14

Well I didn't make them icon_sad.gif I was so excited about them too icon_sad.gif Parents got mad about the party ideas and we cancelled it. Very sad that parents ruined a party for the kids. Thanks so much for your ideas though, I just wanted to share in case someone was waiting to see the Oz cupcakes lol.

ape Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 14

OH NO...I've been watching this topic waiting to see what you would do!

So I have to ask for the drama story...why did the parents get mad about a Wizard of OZ party....is it not politically correct or something?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 14

Don't forget to add some flying monkey wings!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Dustbunny Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #12 of 14

Ape- It wasn't an argument about the theme as it was a cast party after the play and our kids were munchkins. It was a typical no one wants to help or be responsible but they want to complain when its not their way lol. The lady in charge gave us parents a paper and it said she would like us parents to put together a cast party, she gave us nearly a month notice and no one did anything at all. So a week before the play the few of us who actually stayed at every practice (we were supposed to stay no one ever did a whole other rant lol) threw it together. Called subway & ordered big subs, drinks & chips, made the slips to find out how many would come and letting them know the price and it hit the fan so to speak. People didn't want subway, didn't like the time slot and so on so we cancelled. Nice for the kids huh? Sorry it got so long but since you asked LOL. Oh and there were over 40 mnchkins so lots of parents.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:47am
post #13 of 14

are they doing a matinée (afternoon) performance?

could do cupcakes at least then before or after.

which night is opening night? fri or Sat.

if fri -- do cupcakes before show Sat. ???

----
long time school theatre director and having worked w/ "wee ones" before -- works lots better to do their "fun" before the show as late Fri or Sat is just too late for them (and just when the teens actually get some energy! oy!)
----------

ah parent politics -- so much NOT fun.

ape Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:15am
post #14 of 14

Well, that just stinks. Maybe you could have a "private" cast party at your house. So sad when parents don't want to step up!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%