High Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By lisalamm Updated 29 Mar 2005 , 3:06pm by Ladycake

lisalamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamm Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 21

What exactly is this high ratio shortening I've been hearing about? I've heard about Sweetex and Alpine brands in some other forums but I'm wondering what I need to look for at the local grocery store? I know that Crisco makes a no trans fat shortening, is this what I'm looking for? Thanks for all of your help!

20 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 21

http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Catalog/DisplayDetail.aspx?prd_id=GS235

This is Sweetex you cant buy it in the local grocery store you have to order it online and this is one of the cheapest places to get it ...

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 21

HR Short is Crisco w/water...
It's used to substitute butter in recipes, even good for non-dairy meals.

You can add 1 oz of tap water to 1 cup of Crisco and beat it in until it is thoroughly absorbed...

mari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mari Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 12:04am
post #4 of 21

Why is Sweetex so much more money than Alpine?? I just bought some Alpine is it okay??? I'm asking you Ladycakes, cuz you seem to have more experience with it

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 12:39am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari

Why is Sweetex so much more money than Alpine?? I just bought some Alpine is it okay??? I'm asking you Ladycakes, cuz you seem to have more experience with it

I have never hear that its Crisco with water.....

I have a few friends that use the Alpine cause that is what there able to get and they seem to like it I have never used it I have only used the Sweetex... I would say that there mostly is not much of a difference besides name... I would say its like using an off brand of something but I am not sure.. I have never seen a box of Alpine to be able to compare them...

The sweetex that I get that is on that link that I posted is the cheapest place to order from and there shipping is cheap too... Most places are almost $100 with out the shipping...

When I first started doing cakes I did the crisco and then for my 40ths BD one of my friends sent me some Sweetex and I tryed it and its the best thing I will never go back to crisco.... I would not say to go out and get a 50 lb box find a place that will sell you a pound just to try...

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 12:59am
post #6 of 21

I meant that you can make HR by MIXING Crisco and water...
Learned this with Master Toba Garett

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 1:06am
post #7 of 21

Last week I bought a 1.5 lb container of icing shortening (for $1.99 eek..)where I get my cake supplies. It's not a big cake place but a hobby store with LOTS of Wilton and other cake stuff. The difference I see in what I bought as high ratio shortening, tho it's not labeled as high ratio, is that it has hydrogenated palm oil where Crisco has cottonseed oil. It feels denser than Crisco and is not as white. I have yet to try it. They get it in 50# blocks and divide it up for sale. I have some buttercream left over and will do a comparison as soon as I get over these blahs. I must be starting to feel better because cake is starting to sound good again. Ü

I have seen the yellow containers of Crisco in Wal Mart and wondered what it was. I'd heard a while back that Crisco had a high ratio shortening out now. Anyone know about this? It's greek to me.

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 2:05am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Last week I bought a 1.5 lb container of icing shortening (for $1.99 eek..)where I get my cake supplies. It's not a big cake place but a hobby store with LOTS of Wilton and other cake stuff. The difference I see in what I bought as high ratio shortening, tho it's not labeled as high ratio, is that it has hydrogenated palm oil where Crisco has cottonseed oil. It feels denser than Crisco and is not as white. I have yet to try it. They get it in 50# blocks and divide it up for sale. I have some buttercream left over and will do a comparison as soon as I get over these blahs. I must be starting to feel better because cake is starting to sound good again. Ü

I have seen the yellow containers of Crisco in Wal Mart and wondered what it was. I'd heard a while back that Crisco had a high ratio shortening out now. Anyone know about this? It's greek to me.

Ihave not seen any yellow containers at wal mart unless your talking about the butter flavored crisco which I would not use...

I have not heard anything about crisco doing the HR...

As for it not being as white as crisco I dont know what you got a hold of cause the stuff I have looks just as white ... I have attached a image so you can see....
LL

CarolAnn Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 2:37am
post #9 of 21

I will call the store tomorrow and ask for the brand name of the product I bought. I just compared it to Crisco and it is a little off white. I think the Crisco I mentioned might be in a green container not yellow, and it's only stocked in the small cans. I haven't bought any because I don't know anything about it. I'm happpy with Crisco but thought I'd compare to see what you're all talking about. That's why i got this icing shortening. Like I said, I'll call tomorrow and ask for the brand name and details off the container. He said he gets it in 50# blocks and divides it up.

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 2:56am
post #10 of 21
Quote:

I will call the store tomorrow and ask for the brand name of the product I bought. I just compared it to Crisco and it is a little off white. I think the Crisco I mentioned might be in a green container not yellow, and it's only stocked in the small cans. I haven't bought any because I don't know anything about it. I'm happpy with Crisco but thought I'd compare to see what you're all talking about. That's why i got this icing shortening. Like I said, I'll call tomorrow and ask for the brand name and details off the container. He said he gets it in 50# blocks and divides it up.

I am telling you if you get the chance to use it your not going to go back to crisco.. LOL ... Get you some of the Coffee Mate Liquid creamer that Cali4dawn (Dawn) and I talk about it makes a big difference.. Us it in place of the liquid when making it ...

lisalamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamm Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 2:57am
post #11 of 21

I was just at the grocery store and was looking at the shortening. The only thing that I could find that was even close to a high ratio shortening is a Crisco product which boasts that it has no trans fat. It does not say anything about "high ratio" icing shortening though. So I didn't buy any. I guess I'll just use the regular Crisco because I don't have any cake supply stores in the area to purchase Sweetex from. And I don't sell my cakes so it's not like I need the great taste for customer satisfaction. Maybe down the road I'll purchase some from the web.

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:02am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalamm

I was just at the grocery store and was looking at the shortening. The only thing that I could find that was even close to a high ratio shortening is a Crisco product which boasts that it has no trans fat. It does not say anything about "high ratio" icing shortening though. So I didn't buy any. I guess I'll just use the regular Crisco because I don't have any cake supply stores in the area to purchase Sweetex from. And I don't sell my cakes so it's not like I need the great taste for customer satisfaction. Maybe down the road I'll purchase some from the web.

Find someone in your area or find a few people on line and split the box... That is what Dawn and I did for a while until I needed the whole thing one day... LOL .. And she was not ready to order....

CarolAnn Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:35am
post #13 of 21

PLEASE don't tell me that you used the whole block in a day!!! LOL
I'm going to have my youngest grand daughter tomorrow, we're feeling puny together, so I might just bake me up a cake and try this stuff out. I'll let you know what I think. What's this about using liquid creamer?

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:38am
post #14 of 21
Quote:

PLEASE don't tell me that you used the whole block in a day!!! LOL
I'm going to have my youngest grand daughter tomorrow, we're feeling puny together, so I might just bake me up a cake and try this stuff out. I'll let you know what I think. What's this about using liquid creamer?

Well I will use the whole block but not in one sitting... LOL ..

I sure hope you like it .... cause I would never go back to crisco again once I tryed this stuff....

you know the liquid creamer that you put in to your coffee??? its in where the milk is its by coffee mate that is the good one the coffee mate one... GET the Vanilla or the carmel vanilla or any one for that matter they and put it in your frosting in place of your water or what ever liquid you use when makeing frosting... it makes a world of difference...

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:40am
post #15 of 21

I bought mine from a bakery supply warehouse in Syracuse, New York. I got a 50 lb cube for $32 USD. It isn't Sweetex or Alpine but it is high-ratio shortening. It whips up great...makes icing so light and fluffy...and is definitely as white as Crisco. I was paying $5.99 CAD for 5 lbs of Crisco...what a savings!

My product was made by a company called Centrasoy,
Suzanne M.

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:41am
post #16 of 21

suzyqqq27 What did you get??? that is a great price ....

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:10am
post #17 of 21

Ladycake,

The company is called Centrasoy and the product is called Miracle Cake and Icing Shortening. It says on the box that the company, AKA, Central Soy is located in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I bought it before I had heard about Sweetex and Alpine (before I found this site). I happened upon a bakery supply warehouse while shopping in Syracuse (I'm Canadian) and couldn't believe the price...great isn't it? I bought loads of stuff from there including a 50 lb bag of icing sugar...that was a mistake but the shortening is great.

Suzanne M.

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 6:19am
post #18 of 21

Never heard of the stuff....

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 9:11am
post #19 of 21

is the reason for using hr shortening is that it makes a lighter and fluffer icing?

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 11:00am
post #20 of 21

so instead of using 3-4 tbsp of water...use the same amount of liquid coffee creamer. Just making sure, because I want to get it straight.
I am going to have my mother check out Sheilas Party world in delaware to see if they have sweetex, and americolor gels...it has all the wilton stuff so maybe I will have some place where I can go and get the stuff.

Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

so instead of using 3-4 tbsp of water...use the same amount of liquid coffee creamer. Just making sure, because I want to get it straight.
I am going to have my mother check out Sheilas Party world in delaware to see if they have sweetex, and americolor gels...it has all the wilton stuff so maybe I will have some place where I can go and get the stuff.

flayvurdfun you can order sweetex and americolors online there is a few places that will ship across country.... But that place may have it too...

Yes if you use 3-4 tablespoons of water then you would do the creamer in place of that... Now when I make a batch of icing I use 1/2 cups per batch.. And sometimes I make have of that the creamer and the rest water... or sometimes the whole amount creamer..

But make sure you get the coffee mate there is another brand but they are not as tastey I think....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%