Edible Fondant Pearls

Decorating By cake77 Updated 19 Apr 2005 , 11:50pm by m0use

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 18

I am going to be making my son's wedding cake for an August 6th wedding icon_biggrin.gif My question is I am going to be using edible fondant pearl garlands etc. Would it be OK to start making pearls now as I will need alot of them or if it is to soon how far in advance could I make them? The cake is going to serve about 250 so I need to get started as soon as possible. Thanks for all of your help in advance. icon_smile.gif

Wilma

17 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 18

Yes, you could. Store them in an airtight container so that garlands stay flexible.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 18

I'd like to try making some edible pearls. Any helpful hints on the best/easiest way to make them? I've seen the molds, do they work?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Janice

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 18

Here's Earlene's tutorial on making them.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks, Lisa, I will have to give this a try when I make my MMF!

I tried to delete a couple of those posts, but couldn't do it. My computer is giving me a hard time this morning, guess that is why it repeated itself. Janice

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 18

Janice, just letting you know I got rid of those for ya!!

veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks, makes you feel a little ridiculous when there are repeats. Janice

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 18

I'm sticking my neck out here now...I know how to make the edible pearls, but how do you make a garland of them? That does mean they are strung together, right? Do you just thread through them like stringing popcorn? And if so, any special thread you would use?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 18

There is a rubber form that you use...it's open 6 or 8" long and it opens up and you push the fondant in there and squeeze it closed, reopen and lift out what appears to be a string of pearls..pretty cool!

veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 18

If I were going to try to string them I'd probably use maybe clear quilting thread or the type that is made for jewelry-making. Something that wouldn't be visible but wouldn't break easily.

I keep looking at that form, but am not quite ready to buy one. Janice

Tea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:02am
post #11 of 18

I was going to buy a silicon pearl maker but the store staff told me it doesn't work very well, and she taught me to use the "round tip method" (very closed to "Earlene's tutorial").

To string the pearls together, you wanna try dental floss? It should be strong enough.

cake77 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 10:00am
post #12 of 18

Hi! I have started making the pearls for my son's wedding cake, but have been making the individual pearls, haven't started making garland. They are so nice looking and very beautiful. But, they are tedious. I am also going to use lace points on this cake. I hope it turns out good. In my head it looks beautiful, but I still have to put it on a cake. Has anyone ever done lace points? I think I'll try some test ones this week.

Cake77

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:07am
post #13 of 18

I've seen lace points mentioned a few times, but I have no idea what they are.. Help?

veejaytx Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 18

Some dental floss might work, but it might also be a little rough and damage the "pearls" as you pull it through, would depend on the texture of the floss, I guess.

Probably the clear quilting thread would be thinnest, and would be strong enough. Janice

veejaytx Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 18

Hi Cake77, just a question. If you are going to string the pearls, don't you have to do it while they are soft, or at least put a hole in them?

I'm going to attempt making sequins, and will start the same way as the pearls, but won't have to roll them, should be a little simpler, but probably not less tedious! I don't know about lace points, are they done in a mold?

We will be anxious to see your pearls on your beautiful cake. Janice

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 1:09pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake77

Has anyone ever done lace points? I think I'll try some test ones this week.

Cake77

Here are some instructions I thought might help and best of luck with the wedding cake!

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/lacemats/lacemats.htm#instructions

http://www.shavkin.com/joellen2.htm

cake77 Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 18

Sorry to take so long answering everyones questions, but work has been very hectic this week, and when you get an 80 degree day in Western NY, in April you tend to go outside and enjoy the day. It was another person who was planning on stringing the pearls. I am making individual pearls and will glue them on with royal icing, for the individual pearls, and there is a pearl mold to make pearl garlands that are already hooked to each other. I believe these are available at sugarcraft.com As for the lace points these are made with royal icing, and there are some pictures of cakes that have them on Earline Moores web site. I not sure off her website, but if I come across it I will post it. Also if you type in Royal Icing Lace points on a search engine, that will get you some pictures also http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/lacepcs.htm has some pictures. I thought that I had Earlines web address saved but can't find it. And I'm not sure how to cut and paste the other web address. I hope this helps.

Cake77

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 11:50pm
post #18 of 18

Here's Earlene Moore's website: http://www.earlenescakes.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%