Carving Cakes

Decorating By red0027 Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 2:01am by red0027

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:19am
post #1 of 15

Dumb question...I want to carve a cake, but I'm afraid of ruining the whole cake. How do you do it? What is the consistency of the cake? Do you use a special knife? HELP please!! Thank you.

14 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:59am
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by red0027

Dumb question...I want to carve a cake, but I'm afraid of ruining the whole cake. How do you do it? What is the consistency of the cake? Do you use a special knife? HELP please!! Thank you.

I carved a Lightning McQueen cake last year for the first time. I made templates to carve from and I froze my cakes so they were easier to work with.

As for the knife I used a cheap serrated/steak knife that I got from the dollar store. It was nice And sharp and got the job done.

The consistancy of the cake should be more on the firm side.

Here is a link to the cake that I carved.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Cake_Princess&cat=0&pos=1#prev

doobsd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doobsd Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:18am
post #3 of 15

I always freeze my cakes before carving makes life a whole lot easier. (make sure it thaws before decorating though) Hope that helps

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:18am
post #4 of 15

I've used just a simple long serrated knife. My best friend used her electric knife and absolutely loved it. I picked one up at Wal-Mart for $10 and it works great!

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:53am
post #5 of 15

Normally I make sure the cake is a pound-cake consistency, so I add pudding and a extra egg to the cake mix. Then I make sure it is frozen good before I start carving. I use a Cutco bread knife and it works great!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:59am
post #6 of 15

I do the same here lol=) So I must be doing something right! I freeze the cake first, then use a serrated knife to carve. I learned the hard way that if I didn't freeze it, it was a mess. I wouldn't cut as smoothly, and ended up with pieces breaking off=( So they have the right answer...freeze it good and get out the serrated knife! GL with your cake=) Jen

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 15

Do any of you guys freeze your cakes before your torte them? I have 3 two inch cakes that I need to torte and I'm living in fear that they are going to break up.

ribbitfroggie Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 15

Yup, I follow the tips on here-cool for 10 minutes, wrap in saran wrap, and straight into the freezer. Once they are good and frozen then I bring them out to carve, torte, etc. I normally put the crumb coat on while they are still frozen, helps to give you less crumbs!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 15

I have had a hard time cutting throught the middle of a cake that's completely frozen - even with a serrated or a bread knife. I don't completely freeze my cakes - just until set well.

Debbie

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 15

This site rocks! Everyone is so helpful, it's like having a dozen experts in my kitchen helping me all the way. I'm going to pop my layers in the freezer to firm them up, then I'll attempt to torte them. Wish me luck!! (If they break up ... I'll just eat them! Hmm... wonder how many ww points that would be?) icon_biggrin.gif

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 15

I usually use a grapefruit knife to carve my cakes. It makes nice rounded edges....

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 15

I usually freeze too. Ribbitfroggie love your avatar icon_lol.gif How cute is that?

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 15

I use a special knife called a fruit and vegetable knife, it is a little thinner and has a bit of flexibility for rounded areas, it is similiar to a thin boning knife only it is serrated. for big things I also use a electric knife. I partially freeze my cakes before carving. For little pieces I also use the pumpkin carving tools you get in the kits they are perfect for doing cupcake or minicake carving.

ribbitfroggie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:20am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka

I usually freeze too. Ribbitfroggie love your avatar icon_lol.gif How cute is that?

Oh thank you so much! My wee one likes to help "sample" mommy's baking, lol!

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:01am
post #15 of 15

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You all have been very helpful....as usual. I shouldn't be surprised. I would have never thought to use a pumpkin carving kit....and I thought I was the only one who didn't have a clue about carving cakes? Who'd have thunk it?! icon_smile.gif Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%