Ideas For Tool Caddies?

Decorating By suzie Updated 31 Mar 2005 , 1:42pm by m0use

suzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone have any ideas for carrying or storing the equipment for cakes ( tips bags colors) . Mine seem to be all over the kitchen. I would like a carring box, something a little bigger than the wilton caddies.
thanx

13 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 14

You can try a tackle box (for fishing)

Deb

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 14

You can also buy the organizers that have the little drawers in it that you see guys use in their garage to organize screws and the like. I have one of them for my sewing area to organize threads, bobbins, and the like. Not to mention they are cheaper than the wilton tool caddy.

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 14

I've been using the Flambeau Tuff 'Tainers for my stuff. They're kind of expensive, but I've had some last through some pretty heavy stuff, so in the end, they're worth it.

The #4006 'tainer seems to be the best for tips; after buying enough extra dividers (each only comes with 12, grr!) each can hold 36 different standard tip numbers, or 18 large-coupler tip numbers (or a combo of the above). I also toss my couplers, tip brushes, flower nails, and other stuff into those. They'll also hold the half-ounce color jars, but not the 1 oz if you want them to stand upright.

The 4006 do come included with tackle boxes; Flambeau's Kwikdraw 7020 and 7040 tackle boxes each come with three of the 4006. (The difference is colors and the 7040 has two of the 3x4" 1002 'tainers in the lid). They've got bulk storage in the top, where you could put bags, large couplers, flower formers, blah blah. I have one of their larger Saltwater Kwikdraws for my bead collection, and it's fan-freakin-tastic.

Hopefully this link works: http://www.flambeaustore.com/dr/sat4/ec_MAIN.Entry16?SP=10024&CID=0&PN=29&xid=45405&V1=30018147&V2=30018147&V3=1&V4=&V5=11000270&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

You could also swap out one of the included 4006 for a no-dividers 4000 and put smaller or flatter stuff in there to help free up the bulk storage top. Also, they have soft-sided bags with the 4006 'tainers, too, if that might be more your thing.

Hope this helps somehow. icon_smile.gif

Illy

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:38am
post #5 of 14

I just got the tool caddy mouse mentioned about a month ago. I love it!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif It sits nicely on my conter top (in the corner) & is easy to get tips out of!! I organized all the tips in the drawers & used white out to put all the #'s of the tips on the drawers. The organizer has 6 big drawers at the bottom that's were I put my couplers, icer tips, coupler covers & sharpeners, also my glue gun & glue sticks, cake sparkles, a drawer for the templates & wax paper & a drawer for my flower needles. I wrote on each drawer what is inside. It is so simple now!! I got this box because everytime I opened my wilton caddy I would spill every tip in it!!!! Tips would go all over my kitchen floor & I had to organize them everytime!! Not any fun!! I love my organizer & I highly recommend it for everyone!!!! thumbs_up.gif

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:49am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I just got the tool caddy mouse mentioned about a month ago. I love it!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif It sits nicely on my conter top (in the corner) & is easy to get tips out of!! I organized all the tips in the drawers & used white out to put all the #'s of the tips on the drawers. The organizer has 6 big drawers at the bottom that's were I put my couplers, icer tips, coupler covers & sharpeners, also my glue gun & glue sticks, cake sparkles, a drawer for the templates & wax paper & a drawer for my flower needles. I wrote on each drawer what is inside. It is so simple now!! I got this box because everytime I opened my wilton caddy I would spill every tip in it!!!! Tips would go all over my kitchen floor & I had to organize them everytime!! Not any fun!! I love my organizer & I highly recommend it for everyone!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I couldn't find the one mouse is talking about?? I have the same problem - I hate the Wilton Caddy - it seems so cheap!!!! And I am so sick of getting to class every night having to reorganize all my tips because at some point I tipped the caddy - it's sooo frustrating - please tell me what brand and where did you get yours? I HATE THE WILTON CHEAPLY MADE CADDY!

tcturtleshell Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:57am
post #7 of 14

Pureshugga~

The organizer I have isn't for carrying around. It is just to sit on the countertops. It helps me know where everything is without having to dig in a drawer or have to pick up dropped tips. If you need one for carrying I would suggest you use a tackle box. They work really good too! There easier to open & also easier to find your tips & other stuff. I got the organizer from Walmart for about $9. The tackle boxes come in different sizes. One that you would need would cost you $10 or under. Very handy little things! Hope that helps.

m0use Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 14

To find the one I am talking about you probably would have to go to Walmart in the automotive area or the painting area maybe? Or go to a hardware store and they would have them too.
But tcturtleshell is right- if you are looking to be able to tote it around- get a tacklebox from the sports/fishing area, they are a lot cheaper than what you might find at a fabrics and craft area/store.
Found a pic of what I and tcturtleshell are talking about:
LL

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 7:52am
post #9 of 14

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh I see - yes I am looking for one to tote around - but what a great idea when I build up my collection!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 11:52am
post #10 of 14

i love that organizer. is that the kind that they sell in hardware stores? that's great for tips and colors.

m0use Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 14

That particular one is from sears, but I am sure you could find them at hardware stores, walmart, Kmart, and maybe even Target.

suzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 14

well I took all of the helpful advice, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou,

I went to walmart and ended up buying for $7.87 a 19" automotive tool box. My decorating tips are inside of the wilton tip boxes and these little boxes fit perfectly inside with room to spare for a box of decorating bags and other misc. and compartments on top for oversized tips ect.
I am sure as I continue with my cake career the boxes will get bigger but for now this works.
thankyou for all the advice

tcturtleshell Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 4:57am
post #13 of 14

m0use PLEASE PM me on how you put pics when you post icon_cry.gif I would love to know how you do that!!

I'm glad you found something Suzie. I love my organizer! It is perfect!! If I keep getting more tips I might have to get another one! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 14

I had this in another post somewhere- but I can't find it so I am PM'ing you the instructions and also put it in here for people's benefit...
When replying to a post you will see towards the middle of the screen an area called Add an Attachment
1) Click on Browse..... and box will pull up listing files
2) Find your file, highlight it and click on Open
3) It will autofill the file location in the Filename line
4) Add a File Comment if wanted.
5) Then click on Add Attachment, YOU MUST DO THIS IN ORDER FOR YOUR FILE TO SHOW UP
6) Finish filling out your reply
7) Click on Submit and your picture will show up in your post.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%