Cocoa Cones

Decorating By blittle6 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 9:09pm by erinalicia

lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 6:04pm
post #31 of 80

ALSO WATCH FOR HOBBY LOBBY TO RUN THEIR COUPONS FOR WILTON ITEMS OR ONE ITEM FOR 40-50% OFF AND LOAD UP ON THE DECORATING BAGS. THAT 'S WHAT I DID AND IT CUT MY COST QUITE A BIT!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 6:12pm
post #32 of 80

Forgot to add some things.
1) To keep costs down, I used one decorating bag, but layed a small piece of saran wrap down over the cocoa, then layered the chips and marshmallows (about 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and 30 mini marshmallows)
2) I couldn't find small enough rubber bands at walmart (and didn't feel like trudging around) so I bought some clear small rubber bands out of the hair accessories aisle.
3) I trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off of the top of the bag before closing it up.
4) To keep my candy canes criss-crossed the way I placed them, put a small piece of tape on each one to afix them to the bag after I had tied them up in the ribbon.
5) Created my mixing instructions in Word, with my name of my product on a second page, so that when I print double-sided I can fold the instructions in half, and have the name of my product showing on the outside.
6) Use a hole-punch that has a built-in paper catcher- nothing worse then having all those little circles getting everywhere. icon_mad.gif
7) Buy some craft scissors that have the funky edging pattern on them so that when you cut your instructions out from the word document you created, you have made your product stand out that much more. (see attachment)
**That's all I can think of for now!
LL

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:17pm
post #33 of 80

I got her book, awesome idea!!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:08pm
post #34 of 80

Hi, just curious, what brand cocoa do you guys buy? I need a good one but affordable. I was buying ghirardelli for the cones I gave as gifts but what about the ones for sale? (so I can still make a profit...)

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:21am
post #35 of 80
Quote:
Quote:

To keep costs down, I used one decorating bag, but layed a small piece of saran wrap down over the cocoa, then layered the chips and marshmallows

Thanks Mouse. I really didn't want to use 2 bags. I'm looking for a cocoa recipe as well.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:54am
post #36 of 80

I think best would've been to wrap the chips and marshmellows in a little seran wrap home made baggie...

coz...knowing how people are...they would dump the stuff into hot water...little piece of seran wrap and all...

and guess what? swallow it...

As I would ..lol!!!

I would do something geeky like that, in my hurry to make my chocolate and drink it! whoo hoo!

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:58am
post #37 of 80

I can't believe I missed this post before. I found it through the snowman pops thread. I decided to make these for all my kids teachers because it's something they can easily help out with. I saw the cones (premade) at Michaels but never checked the price. I made mine with just cocoa and mini-marshmallows and sprinkles. I tied two spoons that I dipped in candy melts. I was afraid it wasn't enough to give just one to teachers, but I had no idea places are charging $5 for them. Here's a pic of ours...
LL

nefgaby Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 4:37am
post #38 of 80

LOVE your spoon idea!! Now I know what to do with my leftover candy melts!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing!

m0use Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:50pm
post #39 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Hi, just curious, what brand cocoa do you guys buy? I need a good one but affordable. I was buying ghirardelli for the cones I gave as gifts but what about the ones for sale? (so I can still make a profit...)

I bought the Swiss Miss brand at Sam's Club that doesn't have marshmallows in it. It was in a brown jub that makes 80oz of hot chocolate...so that should be more than enough for me.

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:01pm
post #40 of 80

these are soooooooooooo cute! i have to make these!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:18pm
post #41 of 80

My son and I made the spoons last year for all of his teachers and the girls at work. This year we made the cones (cocoa, vanilla latte, mocha latte and chi tea). They've been a big hit! I didn't think of combining the two! Great idea. . .

Debbie

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:22pm
post #42 of 80

I don't make them myself, but have a friend that does. She uses Nesquik that she buys in a big container at Costco - 4 pounds 3 ounces for $6.
edited to add link
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50317

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:42pm
post #43 of 80

I probably missed it somewhere on this post, but what is the basic "recipe" to fill the cones...........how many does it serve, and what kind of instructions do you attach? I would love to make these, but dont' know how.

deb

nefgaby Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:43pm
post #44 of 80

Thanks m0use and 7yyrt for sharing!!! Will go check prices at my local Sam's!

m0use Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 4:43pm
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

I probably missed it somewhere on this post, but what is the basic "recipe" to fill the cones...........how many does it serve, and what kind of instructions do you attach? I would love to make these, but dont' know how.

deb

Here's what I used:
1 Disposable Decorating Bag
4 rounded Tablespoons Plain Hot Cocoa Mix
2 Candy Canes
30 Mini-Marshmallows
1 Rubber Band- Clear/Small
6"-8" Curling Ribbon
2 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
or
2 Tablespoons White Choco. Chips
1/2 a sheet White Tissue Paper (to wrap them up w/ before placing into a bag)

m0use Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 4:45pm
post #46 of 80

Forgot to add this is where I found my stuff
Disposable Decorating Bag  Walmart
Plain Hot Cocoa Mix  Sam's Club
Candy Canes  Farm 'N Fleet (found cheaper at walmart a few days later after hubby had already bought them at Farm 'N Fleet)
Mini-Marshmallows  Walmart
Rubber Band- Clear/Small  Walmart
Curling Ribbon  Bartz's
Chocolate Chips  Sam's Club
White Choco. Chips  Sam's Club
White Tissue Paper  Sam's Club

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:27am
post #47 of 80

Mouse,
How many will this serve? Possibly two?

m0use Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 12:27pm
post #48 of 80

Yes- it will serve two.
These are the instructions that I include on the tag:
Mix 2 Tablespoons of hot cocoa mix with 6 ounces of hot water or milk. Add 1 Tablespoon of chocolate chips, 15 mini-marshmallows, and one candy cane..
Sit back and enjoy!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:12pm
post #49 of 80

I have made these as mini gifts - get the tall 16oz $1 mugs at Walmart, a nonzip baggie with enough cocoa or cappuccino powder to fill the 16 oz cup, tie with ribbon. Make dipped spoons, white or dark chocolate, sprinkled crushed candy canes on them, bag and ribbon those. Printed an instruction card on cardstock (or biz card size) and tied to candy cane with ribbon. Put cocoa in tissue paper, insert into bottom of cup, slide spoon (handle down) and candy cane. The only difference was I add marshmallows to cocoa but not to capp. These cost less than $2 to make, could sell for $10.

Here is a recipe for homemade cocoa powder.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-cocoa-mix/detail.aspx

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:13pm
post #50 of 80

I know I'm late posting to this, but I made these 2 years ago with my kids classes and then extras for those unexpected guests over the holidays. For the teachers I made these but as a big package: a cone in the center of the large bag and on either side of the cone I used 3 stacked marshmallows dipped in white chocolate and decorated on a stick to complete the package. I got so many compliments on it.
Now here's a twist on the cones.....use the same disposable bags but upside down (small tip up), but where you have the hot chocolate, you can turn white chocolate to red and turn it into a Santa hat and face OR once again with the small tip up, fill tip with a yellow jelly bean and then fill the rest of the bag with green jelly beans with a scatter of red and other colors to make a christmas tree! Tie off with a pipe cleaner. Have made many of these. Also, at Easter, I use these to make big carrots (also with jelly beans) to put in the baskets, tying off with green pipe cleansers or green rafia. Hope this gives someone more ideas!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:21pm
post #51 of 80

My friend sells these in her icecream/coffee shop. They do sell well.

I did a little different version for my son's class. I did not have enough bags and since I found out last minute that I had to make something I got the small clear plastic cups and layered them like the cones. I wrapped it in blue plastic wrap and put a bow on top.

Super easy and cute as can be.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:31pm
post #52 of 80

One of the girls at our church had a Christmas Wedding last month and used these as Wedding Favors! They were SUCH A HIT!! It was a really cute idea and just matched the fun atmosphere of this couple's wedding.

Beth in KY

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 4:20pm
post #53 of 80

just made 50 of these yesterday for my DH to pass out. I wish I would have thought about these as wedding favors for the wedding this Sat. at church, that would have been so cute and appreciated from the guests. The bride would have loved it too. Something to put into the ol' brain for next time someone has a wedding in cooler months.

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 4:41pm
post #54 of 80

I made these last year for people at work, everyone loved them! I didn't the cocoa in decorating bags though, I put them in little baggies along with marshmallows and chocolate chips and put them into a tall christmas mug I got from michaels ($1) with the candy canes to stir it up with. I didn't use store bought cocoa though, I made my own (caution, it makes A LOT).

INGREDIENTS:
10-2/3 cups instant nonfat powdered milk
6 oz. jar powdered nondairy creamer
4 cups powdered sugar
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 bag mini marshmallows
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir gently to mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place. This makes 17 cups of mix.
For one serving, stir 3 tablespoons Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix into 1 cup of hot water until dissolved.

nefgaby Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 8:16pm
post #55 of 80

Thanks for the recipes ladies!!!!

nefgaby Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 8:16pm
post #56 of 80

Ohhh, one more question, to the home-made cocoa recipes... did it disolve in hot water/milk as easy as the brand names?? Just wondering...

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 8:22pm
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Ohhh, one more question, to the home-made cocoa recipes... did it disolve in hot water/milk as easy as the brand names?? Just wondering...

Yep! And it tasted better in my opinion!

nefgaby Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 8:28pm
post #58 of 80

Thanks Catscratchfever!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 11:09pm
post #59 of 80

I'm wondering if you were to sell these little gems how much would you sell them for?

nefgaby Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 12:48am
post #60 of 80

I heard they were selling like hot cakes for $5 each. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%