Small Oven

Baking By Chris931 Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 1:45am by dreamcatcher3287

Chris931 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris931 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 6

I recently moved and our new home has a very small 18 inch oven. My full size cookie sheet only fit if they are slightly tilted with one side on the oven shelf and one side leaning on the actual side of the oven. Do you think it would be ok to use them this way?

I really don't want to buy all new cookie sheets.

Thanks.
Christine

5 replies
tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

My mom's old wall ovens were like that and that's what she did. It drove me crazy though! I would suggest investing in new. You will find your cookies/breads do not cook evenly when one end is higher than the rest. Also you usually do not want your pans to touch the oven walls, they conduct more heat at that point.
Tracy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

We just bought a new stove for our house and I actually took a tape measure with me. The sales lady asked me "Do you bake a lot?" I got this big grin on my face, but my husband just stood there and shook his head, so I only told her "Yes, I really do." icon_wink.gif

dreamcatcher3287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcatcher3287 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 6

Chris931 - I feel your pain! (whoops! original post had wrong name.. lol.. been cake stressed - sorry!)I was just about to start a new post on the same! I just recently bought a house that has a small oven as well!! I went to place my 12x18 sheet pan in the oven and icon_eek.gif IT DIDN'T FIT!!! Now what to do? I used smaller pans before and "pieced" together to make a large sheet cake, but no matter what I did, I always ended up with a clearly marked area where the cakes joined together. I don't want to have to make sheet cakes again this way! I can't afford a new oven right now (it is a stand alone oven built into a cabinet - and would have to tear it out and rebuild - and there is not much room left to extend outwards - about another 2 inches from the entry way) I have 4 b-days in the next 2 weeks (3 of my DDs and DH) and round cakes aren't always an option for the theme of the cakes some of them want! Any suggestions besides MOVING would be great! ~ I know I could get a smaller pan - but dang it, this size feeds a party perfectly, especially when 2 of the girls are teens with cake loving friends! ~

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 6

Dreamcatcher, do you have a basement where you could buy a used stove and set down there? My sister did this when she re-did her kitchen. She installed the built-into-the-wall oven, but the stove/oven she removed was still perfectly good. She moved it to her basement and used it for Thanksgiving turkey baking and things that required a larger pan. (And when her teenagers had their friends over, they had their own stove in the basement rec room for making pizza without messing up her kitchen!)

dreamcatcher3287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcatcher3287 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:45am
post #6 of 6

Unfortunately houses here in Houston don't have basements... so next to cutting a part of the beautiful corian counter top and knocking out the cabinet, I have little choice. Ah, well, I never do things the easy way icon_biggrin.gif I love the idea of the oven in the basement though - would finally get the teens out of my kitchen - who only seem to need the oven for pizza when I am baking a cake! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%