Recommended Cake Support System???

Decorating By aubrazacmom Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 12:46pm by miriel

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 23

I am looking into cake support systems and would like to know what you all recommend. I've been looking at the stress free cake supports and the logicpic support systems and really would like some advice from people who have used them. I can't get the stress free cake supports order form to pull up so I don't know what the investment would be does anyone know what the price of the system is?? If there is any other system that I am not aware of that you all recommend that would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks in advance for all your help!

22 replies
ailyn222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailyn222 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 23

I went to class taught by Browen Webber and she had mentioned a cake support that she uses was from Pfeil and Holing. I went the their website and Coast Tier Plate looks like what we used in her class.

The website is:
www.cakedeco.com

link to the system : http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=266

Hope it helps
icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 23

i like that type of support system as well. I reall can't get into the whole seperator plate support system used by wilton, Dang them cakes have more hardware than home depot. If you do use the system by phiel and holing it's the same as Dof uses on Ace of cakes. Just push the next tier plate into the previous one no dowels no silly plates pillers and more plates (can you tell i am not a fan of that type of system LOL) So far the one that I have used almost exclusively is the one from Bakery Crafts and their wedding cake delivery systems They have several different styles to choose from. the cascade type where each cake sits on a seperate plate and are not stacked, the new beginning which you can cut to make look stacked or have a combo of stack and tiers or all tiers. and then the regulat ones which are tiers either 2 or three even four tall. You can look at www.sugarcraft.com for those from bakerycrafts. You have to be liscenced to order from bakery crafts itself.

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 23

chaptlps, can you tell me more about the system Duff uses? Are the legs permanently attached to the plates? If so, then that sounds like the STS only in plastic. Do you order different sizes of legs/plates?

aubrazacmom Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 23

Those systems would certainly be cheaper way of going. Are they reuseable? This is the system that was in the ACD this month (emailed newsletter). I called and spoke to a representative today in regards to this system and it sounds really nice - but it's a bit of an investment to get started but I can't stand dowels and the wilton supports systems either. It drives me crazy :roll

Does anyone have any info on this support system? http://www.weddingcakesupports.com/

For now I will probably go with one of the systems you all have suggested but I'm just curious.

Thanks everyone!! icon_smile.gif

acurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acurt Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 23

I used the stress free support system for a large 6 tier cake recently.
I liked it a lot, but it was somewhat expensive. I especially liked the individual plates which worked very nice with fondant layers. Once the
cake was assembled, I had no doubt of its structural security.

The only small drawback is that you have to buy a variety of pillar sizes to accomodate different cake heights. There is some play in height in how far the pillars are screwed into the support ring, but you might still want to buy additional lengths.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:06am
post #7 of 23

I keep hearing wonderful things about the Stress Free support system. I think I am going to invest in one this year. I have a question about them, can they be used with square cakes as well as round?

aubrazacmom Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:23am
post #8 of 23

Good Question ShirleyW - I would also like to know this!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:29am
post #9 of 23

When I was watching Duff the other night his friend was using the SPS system which looked like it was from BakerycraftYou could tell by the rings and snap in legs..I just bought a set so I am hoping it will help my tiered cakes out.

acurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acurt Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:07am
post #10 of 23

I haven't used the stress free support system with square cakes, but I just checked the web site and saw that square acrylic plates are available.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:17am
post #11 of 23

kathy the ones from bakerycrafts have all the same size legs 9" i do believe. the only one that's a little different is the one called new beginning. On that one it has two pillers that snap together to either be a cake that is tiered (seeperation between layers) or leave off the second set and trim them to your cake size and have it look stacked ( i like that one best because it is adjustable). The wedding cake delivery kits as they are called come with the box the hardware and the boards for each cake. It's a good system. The only place that us non liscenced decorators can get them is at www.sugarcraft.com. Otherwise if you are liscenced you can get them directly from www.bakerycrafts.com

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:10am
post #12 of 23

I love the stress free supports! They work with any size or shape of cake. They are wonderful!!!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:44am
post #13 of 23

Good to know that, thank you. And on the length of the legs or pegs. Normally my cakes are a bit over 4" tall when completed, and I use doweling or Wilton sucker sticks cut to measure 1/8" above the surface of the cake. So what length legs would I need to order for this set?

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:55am
post #14 of 23

is anything that has to do with wedding cakes actually "stress free"???
Just to use the name, it has to be good...

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:12am
post #15 of 23

I'm going to try my first time with logicpic's system, transporting an assembled 3-tier next weekend, so I'll pop in and let you guys know what I think of it.

Heather1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1128 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:25am
post #16 of 23

This may sound crazy, but I get my "support system" from Home Depot. I oo into the plumbing section. If it is just a a two tiered cake I buy a piece of pvc pipe that is 3 inches tall. It is some kind of "Coupler" or something that plumbers use. Of course I clean it first. Then I just make sure my first cake is 3 inches or a little more. Before I place the second cake on I slide the pipe right into the middle of the first cake. My second cake which is on a cardboard round sits right on the pipe. I have done this many times and have not any problems. It is very sturdy.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:27am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailyn222

I went to class taught by Browen Webber and she had mentioned a cake support that she uses was from Pfeil and Holing. I went the their website and Coast Tier Plate looks like what we used in her class.

The website is:
www.cakedeco.com

link to the system : http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=266

Hope it helps
icon_smile.gif

Has anyone used the Coast ones vs. the Bakery Crafts ones? I'm trying to decide which ones to oder. The Coast ones are cheap in price (and dang it I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from Pfiel and Holing... icon_cry.gif ), but are they as good of quality as the Bakery Crafts? I will be using these for stacked cakes. The Winbeckler's actually have the Bakery Crafts system for a pretty decent price too. Ah, decisions....

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 23

I am thinking of ordering the same one, what is shipping like from Pfiel and Holing? I really don't like that they can not give me any idea up front...I am in Ohio so it may not be much different from you missyek.

Thanks!
Tracy

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #19 of 23

I too would love to know what to expect for shipping costs at P & H. Also, has anyone tried the pans they sell. Are the pans magic line or their brand? I need some new ones for a cake in a couple of weeks!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 5:03am
post #20 of 23

For several years, I've been using Wilton's hidden pillars and separator plate system. They don't cost much, the pillars can be cut to fit the height of each tier, and it makes a tiered cake extremely stable. The pillars are very easy to use. thumbs_up.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:19am
post #21 of 23

Okay, since this has come back up...

I have ordered the Coast system from Pfeil and Holing and LOVE it!!! The plates are cheap in price but extremely sturdy. They have "hidden pillars" already cut in predetermined sizes, so no cutting like you would have to with the Wilton hidden pillars. They start with 2 inches and go up to 5 inches in 1/4 inch increments. Then they also have 7" and 9" standard pillars.

As for shipping, I am in NY like them so shipping is not too bad, but I do have to pay tax... icon_cry.gif You can always call them or email them for costs if you know what you want to order. I understand where thye are coming from--they don't want to just give you a blanket shipping cost like other places and make a buck on it--they will charge you for shipping on what you order and nothing more. You do have to order a minimum of $50, though I believe someone said in a separate thread that if you do not, there is just a $7.00 charge.

I have also tried the Bakery Crafts system and I have to say that I prefer the Coast over it--a lot!! The only downfall with the Caost is that they do not have square plates--that would be really nice! thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerpillrgrl

Also, has anyone tried the pans they sell. Are the pans Magic Line or their brand? I need some new ones for a cake in a couple of weeks!

Yes I have some of their pans and they are good. They would be comparable to Magic Line.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:38pm
post #22 of 23

Missey, do you have a link to that one from Pfeil and Holing? I have this 6 tiered fondant bad boy coming up soon and I have to figure out how to support it! icon_confused.gif

Has anyone tried cake rings? How would that work?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Missey, do you have a link to that one from Pfeil and Holing? I have this 6 tiered fondant bad boy coming up soon and I have to figure out how to support it! icon_confused.gif

Has anyone tried cake rings? How would that work?

Here's the link to the Coast Tier System from Pfeil and Holing: http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=266

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%