Has Anyone Every Heard Of This?

Decorating By mareg Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 1:00am by dodibug

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:50am
post #1 of 26

Putting parchment paper up on the sides of the pan to extend the height?
If so ...How do you do it??

Thanks. ( I thought I read somewhere people did that)

25 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:54am
post #2 of 26

I think I've heard of putting alumium foil up the sides of the pan, but not parchment paper.

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:54am
post #3 of 26

yup, it is called collaring..you just put parchment paper around the insides of the pan..never tried it yet though..

try this link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article43-Collaring-Your-Cake-Pans-Make-A-Deeper-Cake.html

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:57am
post #4 of 26

I think I read about this being a pan extension/extender. you cut a strip of parchment and but it arond the inside of your pan and tape it together on the outside (he paper that is), spray with something to prevent sticking, then fill your pan and bake. Actually I think I'd cut the paper, coat with release THEN put it in the pan, fill and bake. Haven't tried it but plan to. Good luck!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 26

I've done this and it works very well.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 26

It's collaring your pans. The way I collar is to prepare pan as usual, cut strips of parchment about 2 in wide, use dabs of batter to get it to stick to the inside of the pan and then carefully pour your batter in, bake and then enjoy a nice high layer! icon_smile.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 26

I've tried collaring the pan...I ended up with a "rim" at the top of the cake. The part of the cake that baked above the rim extended out just a bit. I'm not sure if I'm explaining clearly. icon_confused.gif It was easily fixable by running a knife around the cake though.

dodibug Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 26

I have had that too but you have to make the strips of parchement extend a bit deeper into the pan and it seems to help if the strips are stuck to the sides of the pan. Seems to keep them from "squeezing" the pan.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 26

I collar my cakes all the time. Especially my Chocolate Cake. It works great! My pans a 2 inches deep so I cut strips of parchment paper that are 3 inches wide. That way I add and extra inch to the height of my pans. I love getting nice tall cakes! The Wilton Bake strips help with that also because it prevents the cake from having that big hump in the middle when it bakes.
You should try it sometime icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

mareg Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 26

Thanks so much for your replys. I'm going to try this for my week 4 wilton class next week. I have the 2" and would like another inch on it. icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 26

If you're trying to achieve another inch I would also use an upside down greased and floured flower nail as a heater core. This will help with even baking for a deeper cake!

mareg Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 26

Your right. I had planned on doing just that! icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 26

I JUST did that!! worked great!!

dodibug Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 26

thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 26

I collar all my pans all the time. Not only does it help the cake rise higher, but it forms a barrier between the pan and the cake edge, and helps prevent, or at least partially prevent, the hard edges from forming on the ends and in the corners.
Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:18pm
post #16 of 26

When you guys collar your cake, do you just make a one layer cake and torte it? Frankly, I use 2" pans, 2 layers, and my cakes are so tall, I can't imagine making them taller. People constantly comment that I make such nice, tall cakes. I'd be interesting in hearing how you guys do it!!

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 26

I use 3" deep, Magic Line pans. With the extra height, I can torte the cake into 3 layers, fill in between each, frost the outside, and get a cake that is almost exactly 4" tall. My cakes are just a hair under, which, if I use fondant over the frosting, brings it to 4". Then I only have 1 pan to wash, instead of 2. I am a frosting freak, love the stuff, and where I'm from, they normally have 3 layers instead of 2, so my work fits right in for my family.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:29pm
post #18 of 26

Theresa, that's a fantastic idea!! And I agree with more frosting. Isn't cake just a way to get the frosting to your mouth without looking like a total glutton? Hahaha!!

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 26

Well, I should not have said frosting, because that sounds like I limit my work. I am also a freak for fruit fillings, curds, and ganaches. Custards and puddings do not "do it" for me.

Give it a try, even if you only bake three 8" rounds, but don't fill them all the way. Fill the pans so they will rise to about 1-1/2 inches high on the sides when done. Then do the filling and frosting as I suggested. \\\\

I like it because you get cake and filling or frosting in every bite that way.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #20 of 26

For 9 inch , I only have 2 inch pans, so I torte each layer and make a 3 layer cake. The 4 layer is put into the freezer for cakeballs thumbs_up.gif

If I do a 2 layer cake I don't torte (for cakes with thin frosting). For other sizes I have 3 inch pans that I torte into 3 layers.

pearsonan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearsonan Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:55pm
post #21 of 26

I have used the Wilton Bake even strips that were mentioned above. I like them my cakes baked alot flatter without the dreaded hump in the middle.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:00pm
post #22 of 26

This sounds interesting. So how much do you fill the pan when you have the collar?

illusion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illusion Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:18pm
post #23 of 26

Does the collar rest on the bottom of the pan or stick to the sides with batter? Also, how much should the ends overlap? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:37pm
post #24 of 26

I would say don't fill it beyond the cake pan...but I'll let an expert answer this.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:57pm
post #25 of 26

I've heard of it, but haven't tried it. I'm afraid I'd make a mess!!

dodibug Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:00am
post #26 of 26

I generally use a bit more batter than the wilton guidelines recommend. I try to achieve a full 2 in height so I want it a bit taller than that because I always level my cakes (gives me a peek inside the cake by leveling too!)

And I use dabs of the batter on the paper to get it to stick to the pan and keep it in place while I'm trying to measure out my batter and get it in the pan. Someone here told me about doing that.

I just barely overlap the ends.

I wish I had been thinking earlier today. I baked a cake and could have taken pics and showed you guys! dunce.gif I have a cake next week to do for my neice. I'll take pics then! oohhh-I may have a cake to bake on Monday I forgot about! I'll try to remember to take pics!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%