Bridal Shower/raspberry Disaster

Decorating By m0use Updated 9 May 2005 , 10:49pm by m0use

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, what a week! I was able to get my house ready with the help of my mom for the bridal shower that I had. (Thank you mom!) Friday night I was up late running errands for the shower, finishing up my house, and making the icing and the filling for the cake.
Went to start decorating the cake around 9:30/10AM (had to pick up my son from grandma's before that and he took forever to finish eating- thank goodness he is across the street) pulled out my cakes from the fridge and they were still frozen icon_surprised.gif Even though they usually defrost fine in the fridge overnight. So while I was waiting I covered my cake boards and got started on making the corsage for the bride to be. Got my heart cake decorated fine. Started to decorate the 10" round and had crumbs in the icing everywhere! icon_surprised.gif Ok, fine I will let it crust over and will put another layer on.
Started decorating the 14" round and by that time I realized- oh no I might not have enough frosting and I do not have enough time to make more. icon_eek.gif Made my dam, put the filling in, placed the top layer on and started icing it. Well- I obviously did not make my dam far enough away from the edge, because after I finished the top and went to do the sides, the filling was coming out of the sides. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Well, I still had to shower and finish the corsage for the bride to be. SO I said screw it, mixed the filling in with the icing to make it look pink and white -since the bride had pink, white, red, black, and silver for colors in her wedding I figured this would be ok. Placed the cakes on the counter and jumped in the shower for a 5 minute shower at 1:50PM (shower started at 2:30). While I was decorating the cake, people who had come over to help me with the decorating of the house were asking me questions- like where do you want this, how do you want this decorated..... icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_confused.gif Got out of the shower, got dressed nicer, and then finished the corsage and finished putting the flowers on the cake as guests were starting to arrive.
I decided to take the advice from this site and just shut up about the mistakes and take the compliments as they come. Besides I am sure the cakes were going to taste better than I thought they looked, and they did.
So the shower went great, the bride to be was surprised (amd maybe wanted to kill me), and everyone loved the cake. People were telling me it was so beautiful and that it tasted soo good.
Thank goodness it's all done icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 10

Mouse you sure had a busy day didn't you!! It's so funny how it always turns out nice in the end~ I'm glad the shower was a good one. You shouldn't wait to decorate on the day you need the cake LOL!! That advice has been around awhile icon_smile.gif Glad everything turned out good!! Have a Happy Easter today~

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 10

Hey m0use, and Cali and Mrs Missey (I forgot you last time) congrats on your forum promotion! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 9:13am
post #4 of 10

o.k. so where's the disaster? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 11:57am
post #5 of 10

I thought that too, I couldnt understand why it was so "disasterous" but when my day is bad its really really bad to me but to others its not.. as for m0use....did you post?????? If not why not????? icon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

m0use Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 10

Here's the pic: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-2333
Also if you click on "photos" on the bottom of my posts, it will bring you to all the pictures that I have posted up. It's the cake with candles and red roses in it.
Tina- I wish I had been able to smooth the cake out properly...also I did not have time to ice the cake the night before. I was up to 1:30AM the night before as it was just to make the icing and the filling.

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 10

Well, another good news thing out of this disaster is that someone who attended this shower and had some of the cake just asked me to do her high school graduation cake!! (My second order that I will be reimbursed on!)

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 10

That is great everything turned out. My mothers day cake was the same way. There were so many circumstances around it, i could have cried. But things normally work out. Glad it did for you and you got business out of it..

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 10

it turned out great mouse! GOOD JOB!!!
so.. you just didnt make your dam big enough is that what happen? I think it turned out great.
Congrats on your next cake order! that is awesome!!

what is your recipe to the filling?

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

it turned out great mouse! GOOD JOB!!!
so.. you just didnt make your dam big enough is that what happen? I think it turned out great.
Congrats on your next cake order! that is awesome!!

what is your recipe to the filling?

I think that I did not make my dam stiff enough...I was in such a hurry and in a tizzy and just did not watch what I was doing.
I made the raspberry filling off of this site
http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm
**I have also made the white chocolate mousse ganache filling from this site and it is to die for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%