Establishing A Visa Account

Business By jlh Updated 10 Dec 2005 , 4:17am by llee815

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 2:24am
post #1 of 9

I am starting to get orders from nearby companies. Seems delivery is key! They want to pay by corporate visa. I can provide an invoice for them, but only currently accept cash and check. Can anyone tell me about establishing a Visa account? Working out of my home, I would want to go the cheapest, easiest route. I don't want an electronic machine. I checked out the Visa website and it does not tell you how much it would cost you per transaction? Any advice?
thanks!!
Pam

8 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:20am
post #2 of 9

jlh, the best advice I can give you is to make sure you do very thorough research! Do a google for 'merchant accounts', make yourself a spreadsheet of the services offered and fees. Some types of merchant accounts are geared towards businesses that will have high qtys of charges, and there are a few out there geared towards the little guy. In the meantime, perhaps the companies could pay you through Paypal? It's pretty easy to set up an account with them to accept credit cards and their fees aren't horrible (considering what a 'big-time' account might cost). Good luck!

janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 4:04am
post #3 of 9

I would inquire with Costco.

miss_Jacqueline4694 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_Jacqueline4694 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 4:04am
post #4 of 9

Well for business we paid a set up fee of 500.00 . Then yearly after that, I think its aprox. 450.00-550.00.

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:44am
post #5 of 9

I have the perfect answer! Check out www.paypal.com. You can accept credit cards without a setup fee or a monthly fee, and you don't need a machine! You simply e-mail the customer a form to pay. It's the payment system for eBay, so it's very secure and the cheapest I've found. There's a $0.30 per transaction fee plus a ow transaction charge, but that's it! No contracts and since there's no fees, you only pay when you need it! It accepts all credit cards (including Amex and Discover) and debit cards. I just added "virtual terminal" to mine. For an extra $20 per month, you can enter customer's credit card numbers in an on-line form. Now I can take their info over the phone or in person (without a machine) and type it into my computer when I get home. I just love it!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 9:44am
post #6 of 9

Thanks to all! I'm going to check out paypal for a quick fix. Does it take a long time to set up? I'll also check out Costco.

Thanks !!!!
Pam

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9

Check with your bank. They should set up merchant accounts for you.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 2:30am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh

Thanks to all! I'm going to check out paypal for a quick fix. Does it take a long time to set up?

I signed up for paypal because it was a cheaper option than Visa. You can set your account up immediately, but to get 'verified', it takes a couple of days. They deposit 2 small dollar amounts (like $.23) to your business account. When they show in your biz account, you sign into your paypal account, type in the 2 dollar amounts and you are good to go.

And if you have QuickBooks, you can connect the two to make the whole invoicing/payment process easier.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 4:17am
post #9 of 9

I'm a Mary Kay Consultant and I use ProPay. It's similar to PayPal and is very simple to use. You can get more info at propay.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%