Christmas Sugar Cookies

Baking By pogo Updated 7 Dec 2005 , 1:50pm by barbara-ann

pogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pogo Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 2:05am
post #1 of 5

I am looking for a good soft christmas sugar cookie recipe. Also I would like to know what you guys frost your cookies with. I really do not like royal icing. What about color flow? How does that work and how does it taste?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:05am
post #2 of 5

you'll find some great Christmas recipes on the Nestle site...

www.verybestbaking.com

sweetcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreation Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:31am
post #3 of 5

I did a google search for sugar cookie icing and found good ones. I liked the one from allrecipes which was a powder sugar, milk, and light syrup recipe. I used almond flavoring and it tasted great. It also made the cookies moist after drying and it is the consistency of color flow.

Hope that helps

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 6:28am
post #4 of 5

Here is a different type of cookie icing, Cake_Princess uses it to frost her cookies. I got if from a post by Bunnywoman on the Wilton site. It is called Alice's Cookie Icing. You can thin it down with more water if you find it too thick to work with.
ALICE'S COOKIE ICING

1 lb sifted powdered sugar
3 TBSP. meringue powder
5-6 TBSP water
1/2 cup butter

The butter actually allows the royal icing to firm up to be stackable, but though it sets, it doesn't get hard.
Inserting the method I used - Squirrelly
Oh yes, and in case anyone else would like to know, the icing method...
Well, using the paddle attachment on low, cream your butter until well softened. Then sift your 1 pound, (4 cups if you are measuring by dry measure) of icing sugar. I sift before I measure it. Add the icing sugar to the butter, one cup at a time, beating on low after each addition. In a separate bowl, sift your meringue powder, to be safe. Then add the water it calls for - some folks like to add warm water instead of regular tap temperature. Whisk it well before adding it to the butter, icing sugar mixture.
Most people will tell you that because an icing has meringue powder in it, that darker colours won't bleed, but I don't find this to be true so if you are colouring the icing really dark red or blue or such, it will bleed out somewhat - moreso if the icing decorated cookies are stored in a cool place or frozen and then brought to room temperature, so keep that in mind when you choose colours. I found the icing tastes a bit like cream cheese icing. It works well and you can pipe with it. You may need to adjust by adding more or less water.
Incidentally, you don't have to follow this method, but I found that it worked best for me. The first time I made it I found that the meringue powder caused lumps if I just added it to the icing dry.

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 5

This past Sunday and Monday I used the cookie and icing recipes that Antonia74 has in her tutorial, and was totally impressed. Not only are the cookies soft but the icing is hard to the touch but still soft enough to eat and enjoy. Together the two are perfect! I will be making cookie bouquets for my daughters teachers for Christmas, and will be using both recipes.
Thanks Helen for sharing your recipes and for taking the time to make the tutorial.
Ever since I have joined this site there have been so many hints, tips and recipes I have used from here. I just love this site!
Sorry to go on and on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%