Dream Whip Not So Dreamy!

Decorating By tripletmom Updated 6 Apr 2005 , 2:25am by zoozieqv

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 5:09am
post #1 of 32

Okay, I tried the Dream Whip recipe and I'm not sure I did it right. What should the texture be like? Mine was very similar to the Wilton White recipe, a little on the stiff side and not very smooth. Is is supposed to be really lite and fluffy like Dream Whip?

Perhaps I added the hot water at the wrong time? I used janzcakes recipe because it looked like it would make more.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong?

31 replies
zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 32

Hey, I can't find where janzcakes recipie is. I have been searching for that string of posts and can't find it..... icon_razz.gif However, yesterday I posted on there that my dream whip that I tried two days ago turned out really fluffy and too soft. I did a basket weave with it and it almost didn't work out, plus it didn't seem like it was going to crust. I beat the crisco, hot water, flavorings, salt and dream whip together and then added the powdered sugar and flower. I beat it for a little while and then covered it and left it on the counter overnight. Icing the cake the next day was nice because it was so soft and fluffy but piping stuff onto it was a little nerve racking! How did you put yours together?
Suzanna

Skylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skylar Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 32

Is this icing supposed to be like a "cool whip" icing you get in bakeries? I need to find a recipe for this kind of icing that works. I can't help you any with advice on the icing because I've never used this kind.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 32

Found it-
this is the topic located under Recipe Tips & Ideas and is called dream whip icing recipe? http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-959-.html
Here's the recipe out of that post that is janzcakes'

Quote:
Quote:

here is my version of the dream whip bc icing. I don't use milk but water. It is the best icing I have ever used and I use it for all my party cakes. It is great to work with, crusts enough for designs etc and is not too sweet either. Everyone loves it.

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
2 cups crisco shortening

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream.

Jan

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 32

I used this recipe just recently and it was smooth, but after sitting a day it started to get a slight gritty texture to it. I can't figure out at all why that would have happened.

zoozieqv Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 32

Yes, mine started to get that way too.... I used water and didn't think it needed refrigeration.... icon_confused.gif I'm going to try it again tomorrow for a cake...so we'll see

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 32

I took a cake decorating class a while back and the Dream Whip Recipe we used was

4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1 pkg. Dream whip

Mix all ingredients on low until combined. The beat at high for 4-7 minutes.

I used this to frost the cake, decorate and even made roses with it. If you want it stiffer use less milk -- softer or thinner use more milk. Add the milk a teaspoonful at a time to get the consistency you desire.

Hope this helps!

zoozieqv Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 32

Does this crust, then? If you made roses, I would think so......

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 2:42am
post #9 of 32

This is the dream whip recipe that I have. I started with less milk to get a stiff consistency, then removed what I needed for roses, then added more milk for medium consistency & removed that, etc for the thin.

Dream whip frosting
1 1/3 cup shortening
1/2 envelope of dream whip
2 teasp clear flavoring
Whip at high speed for 7-10 minutes or until it looks like whipped topping.
Then add:
2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup flour
2/3 to 3/4 cup milk (the less the better for making roses)
Whip at high speed for another 7-10 minutes. Then set the mixer on low and mix for a few minutes.
Here's a pic of the cake that I did with this recipe http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/nashsmom/my+cakes/pink+roses+sheet+cake+2.jpg

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 11:37am
post #10 of 32

I guess I need to just go ahead and try the dream whip icing....if I can find the packets here, because I have heard all this before...whipped topping is my favorite frosting to eat...I would love to get a big tub from a bakery...but there is no way I would use it all....I'd eat most of it! I definately dont need it!

zoozieqv Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 32

I tried the recipie krazyKross listed last night and used it for a "practice" cake. It turned out so much better....but I must confess that I quadrupled the recipie and added 1 heaping TBSP of meringue powder! It will probably be REALLY crusty. The cake is a freebie for my in-laws church dedication tomorrow. I will post it....
Suzanna

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 32

I've made the Janzcakes version and it turns out almost like buttercream for the consistancy. I beat mine on high for 5-7 minutes or until I can't taste the flour.

Joe

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 12:52am
post #13 of 32

Question....... how much icing do these recipes make???? I am still on the search for a great icing to use for my family the haters of buttercream!!!! I am a little scared to use this recipe because of the uncooked flour in it. Has anyone ever had a problem with that. If i plan on coloring it which i do can i use regular vanilla????

zoozieqv Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:25am
post #14 of 32

What's wrong with uncooked flour???? icon_confused.gif

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:14am
post #15 of 32

it taste GROOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! other than that nothing

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:21am
post #16 of 32

At the risk of sounding stupid... What is dream whip and where would I find it? By the pudding/jell-o section? This recipe sounds really interesting and I'm thinking about trying it on my next cake.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:25am
post #17 of 32

Flour in icing doesn't taste bad when you have vanilla & powder sugar in it~ I use the faux fondant recipe & it tastes soooo good!!

Does your family know that the BCI we decorators use is so much better then the one that the stores use? I used to hate BCI from stores. When I started taking wilton's classes & then got plenty of help in CC I love the stuff!! Has your family tried the BCI the way we make it? Make it & get them to taste it. I think they'll change their minds~

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:33am
post #18 of 32

They dont like how sweet it is. I think i have tried at least 7 or 8 different recipes. WAY to sweet for me and for them. I guess we just prefer the whipped cream flavor. which recipe do you use????? So far none of the ones i have treid from this site and others have passed the taste test

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 5:27am
post #19 of 32

Regular vanilla will discolor your icing slightly.

Once the flour is mixed with the other ingredients you shouldn't even be able to tell it is in there! Janice

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 11:33am
post #20 of 32

Its ok if it discolors it cause i am coloring it red for my cake. So it doesnt have to start out brite white. How long does dream whip icing store for???? If i make a batch this week would it br gross by the 16th???? I want to try it before i decide its going on the birthday cake but if its good i dont want to waste it.

zoozieqv Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 12:29pm
post #21 of 32

OHHHHHH... I agree, but it blends in to this icing and you don't notice it....it just makes it not so sweet! At least that was my experience. icon_razz.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

Question....... how much icing do these recipes make???? I am still on the search for a great icing to use for my family the haters of buttercream!!!! I am a little scared to use this recipe because of the uncooked flour in it. Has anyone ever had a problem with that. If i plan on coloring it which i do can i use regular vanilla????

A single batch can ice and decorate a half sheet cake. I made a batch of yellow and was able to ice an 8" round cake with enough left over to do another.

and yes, uncooked flour does taste nasty icon_redface.giftapedshut.gificon_biggrin.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:11pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

At the risk of sounding stupid... What is dream whip and where would I find it? By the pudding/jell-o section? This recipe sounds really interesting and I'm thinking about trying it on my next cake.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Dream whip is usually found on the top shelf by the Jello and puddings. I love this recipe and it has replaced all my previous icing recipes.

Joe

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 32

o.k. everyone get me up to speed...what is dream whip?? icon_confused.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 4:33pm
post #25 of 32

Powdered dairy topping (or is it non-dairy can't remember). Look for it near Jello and the like just like dragonwarlord stated.

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 8:55pm
post #26 of 32

well i will try it. Our walmart has the 4 pack boxes for $3.00 at our local grocery it was almost 4.00 for a two pack. it always amazes me how much cheaper walmart is than my grocery store. Any ways if i make a batch this weekend and put it inthe fridge would it still be good by next saturday the 16th?????? And it is already in the 80s where i live in texas will it still be ok sitting out the day of the party????

zoozieqv Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 9:37pm
post #27 of 32

I am no expert, however I think if you don't use milk and you keep it in the fridge it should be fine!!! I kept mine in the fridge overnight because I noticed that it started to get too soft the more I worked with it....in the decorating bag! I live in Houston TX and I wouldn't worry about it sitting out the day of the party . Once you have decorated the cake it should be fine. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 10:08pm
post #28 of 32

Even if you use milk it can still sit out and will not spoil. the sugar in the frosting acts as a preservative. the only issue you will have is the icing getting soft.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 10:55pm
post #29 of 32

This is not about dream whip BUT I'm going to bring it up anyway icon_smile.gif

I see a lot of people from TX on CC now. That is sooooooo cool!!!! Are any of you close to Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana?? I have only found one person from La. on here & she's in New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Too far from me. icon_sad.gif I was just wondering! Everyone is getting together on the East Coast to do a "Day Out" cake thing. I'm sorry but I forgot what it was called. I'll have to go check on events forum. Anyway doesn't that sound fun to do it in the south?? I'm not an expert at cake decorating but I would really like to be involved w/ that! Just wanted to mention it. ~TC~

susanmm23 Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 1:00am
post #30 of 32

im in east texas about hour and 45 minuttes away. do you spend alot of time at the boats????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%