Dream Whip not so dreamy!

Decorating By tripletmom Updated 6 Apr 2005 , 2:25am by zoozieqv

tripletmom Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 5:09am
post #1 of 32

Okay, I tried the Dream Whip recipe and I'm not sure I did it right. What should the texture be like? Mine was very similar to the Wilton White recipe, a little on the stiff side and not very smooth. Is is supposed to be really lite and fluffy like Dream Whip?

Perhaps I added the hot water at the wrong time? I used janzcakes recipe because it looked like it would make more.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong?

31 replies
zoozieqv Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 32

Hey, I can't find where janzcakes recipie is. I have been searching for that string of posts and can't find it..... icon_razz.gifSuzanna

Skylar Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 32

Is this icing supposed to be like a "cool whip" icing you get in bakeries? I need to find a recipe for this kind of icing that works. I can't help you any with advice on the icing because I've never used this kind.

m0use Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 32

Found it-
this is the topic located under Recipe Tips & Ideas and is called dream whip icing recipe? http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-959-.html
Here's the recipe out of that post that is janzcakes'

Quote:
Quote:

here is my version of the dream whip bc icing. I don't use milk but water. It is the best icing I have ever used and I use it for all my party cakes. It is great to work with, crusts enough for designs etc and is not too sweet either. Everyone loves it.

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
2 cups crisco shortening

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream.

Jan

jscakes Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 32

I used this recipe just recently and it was smooth, but after sitting a day it started to get a slight gritty texture to it. I can't figure out at all why that would have happened.

zoozieqv Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 32

Yes, mine started to get that way too.... I used water and didn't think it needed refrigeration.... icon_confused.gif

KrazyKross Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 32

I took a cake decorating class a while back and the Dream Whip Recipe we used was

4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1 pkg. Dream whip

Mix all ingredients on low until combined. The beat at high for 4-7 minutes.

I used this to frost the cake, decorate and even made roses with it. If you want it stiffer use less milk -- softer or thinner use more milk. Add the milk a teaspoonful at a time to get the consistency you desire.

Hope this helps!

zoozieqv Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 32

Does this crust, then? If you made roses, I would think so......

nashsmom Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 2:42am
post #9 of 32

This is the dream whip recipe that I have. I started with less milk to get a stiff consistency, then removed what I needed for roses, then added more milk for medium consistency & removed that, etc for the thin.

Dream whip frosting
1 1/3 cup shortening
1/2 envelope of dream whip
2 teasp clear flavoring
Whip at high speed for 7-10 minutes or until it looks like whipped topping.
Then add:
2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup flour
2/3 to 3/4 cup milk (the less the better for making roses)
Whip at high speed for another 7-10 minutes. Then set the mixer on low and mix for a few minutes.
Here's a pic of the cake that I did with this recipe http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/nashsmom/my+cakes/pink+roses+sheet+cake+2.jpg

flayvurdfun Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 11:37am
post #10 of 32

I guess I need to just go ahead and try the dream whip icing....if I can find the packets here, because I have heard all this before...whipped topping is my favorite frosting to eat...I would love to get a big tub from a bakery...but there is no way I would use it all....I'd eat most of it! I definately dont need it!

zoozieqv Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 32

I tried the recipie krazyKross listed last night and used it for a "practice" cake. It turned out so much better....but I must confess that I quadrupled the recipie and added 1 heaping TBSP of meringue powder! It will probably be REALLY crusty. The cake is a freebie for my in-laws church dedication tomorrow. I will post it....
Suzanna

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 32

I've made the Janzcakes version and it turns out almost like buttercream for the consistancy. I beat mine on high for 5-7 minutes or until I can't taste the flour.

Joe

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 12:52am
post #13 of 32

Question....... how much icing do these recipes make???? I am still on the search for a great icing to use for my family the haters of buttercream!!!! I am a little scared to use this recipe because of the uncooked flour in it. Has anyone ever had a problem with that. If i plan on coloring it which i do can i use regular vanilla????

zoozieqv Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:25am
post #14 of 32

What's wrong with uncooked flour???? icon_confused.gif

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:14am
post #15 of 32

it taste GROOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! other than that nothing

melissablack Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:21am
post #16 of 32

At the risk of sounding stupid... What is dream whip and where would I find it? By the pudding/jell-o section? This recipe sounds really interesting and I'm thinking about trying it on my next cake.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:25am
post #17 of 32

Flour in icing doesn't taste bad when you have vanilla & powder sugar in it~ I use the faux fondant recipe & it tastes soooo good!!

Does your family know that the BCI we decorators use is so much better then the one that the stores use? I used to hate BCI from stores. When I started taking wilton's classes & then got plenty of help in CC I love the stuff!! Has your family tried the BCI the way we make it? Make it & get them to taste it. I think they'll change their minds~

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:33am
post #18 of 32

They dont like how sweet it is. I think i have tried at least 7 or 8 different recipes. WAY to sweet for me and for them. I guess we just prefer the whipped cream flavor. which recipe do you use????? So far none of the ones i have treid from this site and others have passed the taste test

veejaytx Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 5:27am
post #19 of 32

Regular vanilla will discolor your icing slightly.

Once the flour is mixed with the other ingredients you shouldn't even be able to tell it is in there! Janice

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 11:33am
post #20 of 32

Its ok if it discolors it cause i am coloring it red for my cake. So it doesnt have to start out brite white. How long does dream whip icing store for???? If i make a batch this week would it br gross by the 16th???? I want to try it before i decide its going on the birthday cake but if its good i dont want to waste it.

zoozieqv Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 12:29pm
post #21 of 32

OHHHHHH... I agree, but it blends in to this icing and you don't notice it....it just makes it not so sweet! At least that was my experience. icon_razz.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

Question....... how much icing do these recipes make???? I am still on the search for a great icing to use for my family the haters of buttercream!!!! I am a little scared to use this recipe because of the uncooked flour in it. Has anyone ever had a problem with that. If i plan on coloring it which i do can i use regular vanilla????

A single batch can ice and decorate a half sheet cake. I made a batch of yellow and was able to ice an 8" round cake with enough left over to do another.

and yes, uncooked flour does taste nasty icon_redface.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:11pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

At the risk of sounding stupid... What is dream whip and where would I find it? By the pudding/jell-o section? This recipe sounds really interesting and I'm thinking about trying it on my next cake.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Dream whip is usually found on the top shelf by the Jello and puddings. I love this recipe and it has replaced all my previous icing recipes.

Joe

diane Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 32

o.k. everyone get me up to speed...what is dream whip?? icon_confused.gif

m0use Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 4:33pm
post #25 of 32

Powdered dairy topping (or is it non-dairy can't remember). Look for it near Jello and the like just like dragonwarlord stated.

susanmm23 Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 8:55pm
post #26 of 32

well i will try it. Our walmart has the 4 pack boxes for $3.00 at our local grocery it was almost 4.00 for a two pack. it always amazes me how much cheaper walmart is than my grocery store. Any ways if i make a batch this weekend and put it inthe fridge would it still be good by next saturday the 16th?????? And it is already in the 80s where i live in texas will it still be ok sitting out the day of the party????

zoozieqv Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 9:37pm
post #27 of 32

I am no expert, however I think if you don't use milk and you keep it in the fridge it should be fine!!! I kept mine in the fridge overnight because I noticed that it started to get too soft the more I worked with it....in the decorating bag! I live in Houston TX and I wouldn't worry about it sitting out the day of the party . Once you have decorated the cake it should be fine. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeconfections Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 10:08pm
post #28 of 32

Even if you use milk it can still sit out and will not spoil. the sugar in the frosting acts as a preservative. the only issue you will have is the icing getting soft.

tcturtleshell Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 10:55pm
post #29 of 32

This is not about dream whip BUT I'm going to bring it up anyway icon_smile.gif
I see a lot of people from TX on CC now. That is sooooooo cool!!!! Are any of you close to Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana?? I have only found one person from La. on here & she's in New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Too far from me. icon_sad.gif

susanmm23 Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 1:00am
post #30 of 32

im in east texas about hour and 45 minuttes away. do you spend alot of time at the boats????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%