Wilton Gum Paste Mix

Decorating By MichelleM77 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm by GenGen

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 22

Please don't laugh. Okay, go ahead because I am!

I posted this on their forum, but no one is answering me. LOL!! I feel so stupid. I bought a container and don't know how to open it! I don't want to destroy the container and that's what is happening. It has a thin metal lid that I thought would just pop off. Nope. Then I tried a can opener but it started to crush the container.

Can anyone help me?!?! LOL!

21 replies
Nitu Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 22

I am going to face this problem too in next week while my gum paste class starts.
I am also curious about this.
Sorry MichelleM77, I couldn't help you.

But thanks for this question and it is not stupid question at all.

Nitu

sprtd76 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 22

I was wandering the same thing. I haven't been able to open the can I bought either, so I just put it aside and decided to heck with it. icon_mad.gif Can someone please help us poor souls?

Thanks,
Beth

mikko Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 22

omg, funny thing is i've had this in the pantry for a couple weeks & just thought it peeled off. so don't feel bad, i just looked at & was like duh, i can't open this!!! LoL. But i used a can opener & it worked w/o crushing the box. it doesn't break through the seal at first, but keep twisting, it's really thin.

At least you aren't the only one!

jeking Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 22

Seems like I remember that you have to use a can opener.

Parable Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 22

I haven't opened one since last November but I think I remember thinking it was a little strange too. I think I used my electric can opener with no problems.

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 22

LOL!!! I am sooo glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Whew! Too funny!! I'll have to try again. I think I have an electric one up in the cupboard that MIL gave me. Maybe that will be more gentle on the cardboard than my regular hand opener was.

Thanks guys!!

Nitu Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 22

I am enjoying everybody's reply. But why nobody is helping us here.

It's strange.

Nitu

mgdqueen Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 22

I have the "no sharp edge" can opener from Pampered Chef, so I guess I didn't notice a problem when I opened it. Now I have to look!!

TooCuteRose Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 22

have u tried a blunt tip knife...something that won't damage it...to pry it open???

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 22

Nope, but I'm also trying to not hurt myself. LOL! I type for a living and would kick myself if I stabbed my hand. Believe me, blunt would do it, I'm a klutz!

heavensgaits Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 22

My can opener start to crush mine, so I took a chopping knife and just cut the top off right under the metal piece. The actual container is just cardboard, so this worked pretty well for me.

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 12:06am
post #13 of 22

Were you able to put the lid back on? I'll just have to chop it open and find another container for it. I wasn't planning on using a 1 lb container of gum paste! icon_smile.gif

TooCuteRose Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, but I'm also trying to not hurt myself. LOL! I type for a living and would kick myself if I stabbed my hand. Believe me, blunt would do it, I'm a klutz!

u reminded me of a funny story...it wasn't funny at the time...but sure is now...we had just moved to OK...and my mom had bought this toaster that was made for bagels...haha...yea right...well newhos...my sister went to slice the bagel open so she could toast it...and oops went the knife...it was a butter knife...4 stitches...to this day my sister hates bagels and butter knives...

mikko Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 22

i'd love to know what kind of can openers ya'll are trying to use that you are smooshing the can??? icon_confused.gif
Mine didn't break through at first like you do when you open a can of tuna or something, I just held it closed lightly but firmly & turned the handle.

tbittner Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 22

I have a simple hand can opener, it worked fine. I would suggest opening it with the can opener and putting what you don't use in an airtight container. It should store in a cubbord for a while if it is airtight. If you have a Foodsaver use that!!

I just made the whole container and store the extra in a foodsaver container.
Tracy

lapazlady Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 22

I wonder if they changed the container. I opened several during the Christmas Holidays, with an electric can opener. I didn't have any problems, the lid came off and didn't crush the can. I'll be getting a new shipment in a couple of days, I'll take a look and see there's any difference.

You can make up the full can, and store the extra in an air tight container. It will last for months, with no problem.

jeking Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Were you able to put the lid back on? I'll just have to chop it open and find another container for it. I wasn't planning on using a 1 lb container of gum paste! icon_smile.gif

My can came with a plastic lid for reclosing it. You can actually make the whole recipe at one time, then put the unused portion of gumpaste in a plastic bag and put it back in the can with the lid on. It will keep indefinitely. When you go to use it again, take the size piece you want and add a small amount of Crisco to it and knead well. It will be very easy to work with. I learned this in the Wilton Master Decorating Course in Chicago.

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm
post #19 of 22

Well that's my problem. The way this can is going to have to be opened, I'm going to destroy it in the process. I don't know if it's me or the can. LOL! I feel so dumb for even posting a question like this, but I swear the can has no visible way of opening it! I'm glad you guys aren't laughing me out of here....but I'm sure you are giggling at home!

sameera1990 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:05pm
post #20 of 22

lol thank God I wasn't the only one!!!

Sassy74 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:17pm
post #21 of 22

Pampered Chef can opener works like a champ!

GenGen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 22

yah i just use my regular can opening to open it, make up the whole thing then wrap, seal and replace in can using lid if i have extra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%