Meringue Snowmen

Baking By lpino Updated 5 Dec 2005 , 3:03pm by luv2cake

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there,
I've had many requests for the steps to make the meringue snowmen that I posted under Holidays --> Christmas.
I saw Martha made them a couple of years ago and I had to try them! They were fun to do and were a great hit at the party.

The snowmen are made out of meringue and filled with strawberry and chocolate fillings (the ones with the red scarf were the chocolate ones). You can do any meringue recipe you like and also fill them with any kind of sweet filling (if you want the recipe for the fillings, let me know and I will post them as well).

My meringue recipe is simple:

You will need:
- 2 egg whites
- 4 oz (115 grs) caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla flavour

Put the egg whites in a large, scrupulously clean and grease-free bowl. With a whisk or electric mixer, whisk the whites until they are foamy. Continue whisking until the whites hold soft peaks when you lift the whisk.
Sprinkle the sugar over the whites, whisking constantly. Add vanilla. Continue whisking for 1 minute or until the meringue is glossy and holds soft peaks when you lift the whisk.

(I think I made two batches for 14 snowmen but I can't remember exactly sorry!)

For the snowmen bodies:
Once the meringue is done, reserve some for the snowmen noses.
Fill in an 18 in. pastry bag fitted with a large 3/4-inch round tip pipe a big. Line a baking sheet (or two, depending on how many you want to do), with parchment paper.
For the body, pipe meringue, forming domes 4 inches in diameter approx.
For the arms, pipe a "C" shape on top of the domes around the "neck" of the snowman.
For the head, pipe a smaller dome in the centre of the "C" shape. With your finger, smooth the top so it doesn't have a peak (or else you won't be able to attach hats).
For the nose, add pink food colouring to the reserved meringue and pipe it with a small round tip in the centre of the upper dome (head).

Bake for 30 minutes at 400°F (or 200°C) or until crisp and firm but not brown. Leave to cool.

Cut 5 inch-squares of parchment paper. As many as you have snowmen.
Turn the meringue upside down and VERY VERY carefully, with a spoon, remove the meringue that's on the inside of the snowmen. You should be left with hollow snowmen-shaped meringues. Pipe the strawberry or chocolate filling into the meringue and put a parchment square at the bottom to prevent filling from spilling out. Refrigerate.

For the hats:
Almond paste (you can also use marshmallows).
Candy melts or bittersweet chocolate (I used the candy melts and they work great).

Cut almond paste into 1/2 inch balls and mold them into a round-hat shape. This will be the top part of the hat. Make one for each snowman. Insert a toothpick on top of each one.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Fill in a medium sauce pan one-quarter full with water. Set over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Place the candy melts or chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and set over simmering water. Turn off heat and stir candy melts or chocolate until completely melted.

Insert the hat shaped almond paste into melted chocolate using the toothpick and transfer into baking sheet. Let some of the chocolate drip into baking sheet and put the almond paste in the baking sheet doing circular motions with the toothpick so the rim of the hat gets formed with the excess chocolate.

Let sit at room temperature and allow to set.
Remove toothpick.

Save some chocolate to pipe eyes and buttons.

For the scarves:
I also used the almond paste but you can use fondant.

Use as many colours as you want for the scarves. MS did only one colour but I liked they way they looked with different colour scarves (it also told me which ones were filled with what flavour).
Colour fondant to whatever colour your imagination desires and cut long strips 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide, 5 inches long. With your paring knife, do small cuts at the ends of the "scarf".

To assemble:

Wrap scarves around snowmen necks.
With a #2 tip, pipe snowmen eyes and buttons with leftover chocolate.
To fix the hats to snowmen heads, brush some melted chocolate into bottom of hat and put on snowmen heads.
Arrange snowmen in tray and fill in with white marshmallows to simulate snow.
Sprinkle with icing sugar and refrigerate until serving.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Laura

2 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 3

Laura, just looked at the photos these are sooooo adorable, thanks for sharingicon_smile.gif

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 3

Please do post your fillings for these adorable little snowmen!

I saw them on Food Network's Sugar Rush. They looked so easy to do and were so cute, but then again, I have never worked with meringue.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%