What Would You Include For 12 Year Olds Decorating Kit?

Decorating By ValMommytoDanny Updated 21 Feb 2007 , 12:50pm by ValMommytoDanny

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:34am
post #1 of 12

I am getting ready to do the "pink pillow with a Yankees baseball and tiara" for a very special 12 year old girl. She does remind me of myself in a lot of ways - bakes when she is bored/stressed/feeling creative. I would like to give her a gift of some start up decorating/cake tools as a present and would love input on what I should include.

I was thinking disposable bags and a few of the general tips with some recipes. Can you guys help me with "start up" kit ideas?

Many thanks for your kind help,

11 replies
strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:41am
post #2 of 12

Wow, where to begin! I think I started with tips and bags, don't forget some couplers.
The recipes are a great idea!
Maybe a basic decorating book?
All arranged nicely in a set of cake pans?

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:42am
post #3 of 12

What if you get one of those caboodles things from Walmart or somewhere, that is used for makeup stuff, it has a couple of diffent levels to it. Anyway...you could do the disposable bags, recipes printed on cards so they are easy to keep, an apron, tips that are used frequently, maybe a couple of different size (smaller ones) cake pans, and a certificate that gives her time to spend with you one on one learning some tips and techniques? I have 3 girls and this is a great idea!!! Let me know what you decide to go with! GL! thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:43am
post #4 of 12

Maybe some couplers and an off set spatula for icing...OR a roller to smooth her buttercream! Definitely the bags, tips and recipes. She's gonna LOVE you for it. I know I WOULD!

Beth in KY

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:50am
post #5 of 12

A couple jars of food coloring would be good, they have packs of the smaller jars in basic colors from Wilton.
Molding candy is also something fun for kids to do and the candies can be used on cakes so molds and melts would be good.
Some fun cupcake papers would be good for a kid.
Small pans, she'd be able to try several different ideas at a time.
Cookie cutters, she could decorate if she wanted or just cut out and serve.

I would sit down and figure out what you want to spend and then go to a store and see what they have that looks fun.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:54am
post #6 of 12

Oh wow...what I would have given to receive a gift like that at 12! I think the bags, tips and couplers are a must....maybe an offset spatula, small pans....maybe even a box of cake mix and canned icing, since she's only 12....that way she could practice right away! A beginner's decorating book would be neat too!

Great idea!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:31am
post #7 of 12

How much are you wanting to spend? A thought would be to give her the gift of (a Wilton) class if she is really interested in it. You can buy the C1 Kit along with a gift card that would cover the cost of the first class and maybe a little extra?

If you just want to do pieces parts, then yes some bags, tips such as 3, 12, 16/18, 21, 104, and 67/352 and couplers. I agree a book would be a good idea as well as well as an offset spatula. There are so many things...

I say think of your most used 'tools' and then consider those. Because the most used are usually what we all need.

NicoleRad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleRad Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:08am
post #8 of 12

I think the beginners decorating book would be a good idea. I thought Wilton made little prepacked kits that came with a book, some tips, bags, couplers, and colors...

hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:13am
post #9 of 12

oooohhhh what a great gift idea! I bought a few things for my 13 year old niece and I included merengue powder and sprinkles and a small cake decorating book. Disposable bags and couplers are great too.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:19am
post #10 of 12

I also agree it depends on what you want to spend. But as a mom we all know kids want to play with there toys right away. So a small pan set and the cake mix and ya the ready made frosting. The bag, couplers and a few tips. And some colorings if you want to go that far. A book would also be nice. But like another person said mybe give her your time to help her. If she admires your cakes she would love to get your help. So even give her a little certificate for a day with you. And you can supply the tools and the cake for her to decorate and to take home.. Just a few thoughts.. I hope to here how this turns out.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:21am
post #11 of 12

I do not know how much you want to spend, but Wilton has the 25 piece decorating set for 11.99 msrp. And with a coupon, you could actually get her the 50 piece tool caddy for around 27.00.

If I were buying something like that for a child, I would get the tool caddy set, so they have some place to store everything.

But that's just my opinion.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks you guys, great ideas....

I didn't even think about a mix or even the class....

icon_smile.gif I am going to go shopping this weekend and put together something for her - in a great case. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%