I Am Officially An Idiot

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 4:21am by Momkiksbutt

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:24am
post #1 of 101

I turned the oven off in the middle of baking a cake.

icon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Rachel

100 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:28am
post #2 of 101

How long did it take you to remember?? Could you save it?

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:28am
post #3 of 101

I once forgot to turn mine off after baking a cake and wondered the next morning why it was so freaking hot in my house.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:33am
post #4 of 101

I got a "genius" plan to put my tips and bags and spatulas in a pot on the stove to get it really hot to get the grease off (soap too). I put it on high for a "minute" to get it hot quick then I was going to put it on low... but forgot about it and went to bed with it on high.

The next morning everything in the pot had disinigrated basically. There must have been a huge fire that burned super hot. The hood over my stove turned black!!!!!!!!!!! I'm lucky the house didn't burn down (don't even ask about the smoke alarms, they apparently didn't work)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #5 of 101

Holy CRAP Alicegop!!! I am choking on fear over here! When you woke up and looked at that, I hope you didn't pass out! I would have. *Someone* was looking out for you by not letting it burn the house down!!

MrsRight... I'm sorry your brain was operating on 'brown out' mode!! Those things happen!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #6 of 101

i ground up three tips in my garbage disposal... icon_redface.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 101

LOL My goodness!! I thought I was the only one that did these kind of silly things!! LOL Although I must say, boiling tools, is something that I have never even heard of, let alone tried. Have you tried just soaking them in a tea kettles worth of boiling water in a bowl with some dawn dishsoap? That works great!!!

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:44am
post #8 of 101

I also have lost many tips in the garbage disposal...

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:45am
post #9 of 101

I dropped a entire layer of a cake on the floor real late one night (about 1:30 am). It was for a reception the next day. I was going to let it cool and frost in the morning. So - I had to rebake. Feel asleep on the couch with the cake in the oven - do you know what happends to a chocolate cake when it cooks for 3 hours?

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:46am
post #10 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptain

oh, so i'm not the only one? icon_redface.gif no offense, but that's good to know! icon_lol.gif

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:50am
post #11 of 101

OH MY GOODNESS mrsright and alicegop. I have done both of those!

Except that I wasn't boiling tools, it was something else. When I got home with my 4 month old son after being out of the apartment for 5 hours, it was completely filled with smoke. I couldn't even see my TV 10 feet away! I lived on the 3rd floor of a complex and NO ONE saw the smoke pouring out of my windows (it was summertime) or heard the alams in my house. The neighbor finally came out to see what was going on when I was sitting in the hall and my son was crying for about 10 minutes.

As far as turning off the stove, I did that too I was making a carmel apple cake Xmas eve and for some reason or another turned the darn thing off. GOOF! I couldn't save it. icon_cry.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:51am
post #12 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillyCakes

I dropped a entire layer of a cake on the floor real late one night (about 1:30 am). It was for a reception the next day. I was going to let it cool and frost in the morning. So - I had to rebake. Feel asleep on the couch with the cake in the oven - do you know what happends to a chocolate cake when it cooks for 3 hours?

Ah, screw it. A little extra frosting... it'll still taste better than some places I've sampled! hahahaha!!!!

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:52am
post #13 of 101
Quote:

do you know what happends to a chocolate cake when it cooks for 3 hours?

YUUUUMMY!!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:53am
post #14 of 101

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:57am
post #15 of 101

This is so funny, good to know were all in such good company..haha

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:57am
post #16 of 101

I'm not alone..... Oh, the stories my family could share. Our disposal gets very hungry when I do some baking. icon_rolleyes.gif

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:58am
post #17 of 101

Oh Mrs - that's too bad. I think we all have those "DOH" moments - yep, husband is forcing me to watch Simpsons, so it's the only thing I can come up with at the moment.

My garbage disposal is probably lined in aluminum at this point with as many tips are in there!

I haven't left the oven on or turned it off, but I could see how it could happen.

mrsright41401 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 2:04am
post #18 of 101

The problem is that this is the 3rd cake I've ruined tonight for one stupid reason or another.

First cake: Doubled the recipe, but forgot to double the wet ingredients.

Second cake: Cooked it too long - charred it.

Third cake: turned the dang oven off in the middle of it and ruined it.

I think that tonight is the night to go to bed and try again in the AM.

Rachel

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 2:11am
post #19 of 101

I agree mrsright - go to bed!!

I'm trying to do my first topsy turvy and it's been a mess so far.... made one layer the wrong flavor, ran low on some batter so I created a "marble" layer that doesn't really make any sense with the rest of them and didn't bake as high, and now I didn't torte the first layer right to make it angled! AUGH!

This is why we all need an assistant to pay attention and keep us from doing these stupid things - or maybe a guardian angel w/ a really loud voice or a big bat to hit us over the head when we do something stupid!!! icon_lol.gif

mrsright41401 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 2:13am
post #20 of 101

My assistant is working to 18 hour days. icon_sad.gif

I should know better than to cook w/out him home.

Rachel

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 2:30am
post #21 of 101

I am sorry this has happened to you. But it appears I find myself in good company.

I baked two pecan pies for Christmas dinner several years back. I was using an electric stove/oven (I prefer gas but we were renting an apartment at the time). I had just finished making lemon curd on the stove top and forgot to turn off the burners. When the pies were done baking, I set the glass pie plates on the burners to cool -- the burners that were still turned on. In about 5 minutes, both pies exploded and sent shards of sticky glass in all directions. I was very grateful that no one was hurt. But I have yet to live that one down! Cheers all.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:42am
post #22 of 101
Quote:

Do I get to win the award for being the stupidest baker ever? I left a chocolate cake in the oven OVERNIGHT once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! permanently ruined my pan, but the cake was total charcoal so it came easily out of the pan he he

Oh and I've also left my pampered chef baking stone on the stove and turned on the wrong burner and it shattered and shot out 6 feet from my stove and burned a hole through the linoleum.

Maybe cooking isn't my thing............icon_biggrin.gif

(Oh and now I use the microwave method listed on cake central, much safer and impossible to leave overnight)

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:16am
post #23 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicegop

Oh and I've also left my pampered chef baking stone on the stove and turned on the wrong burner and it shattered and shot out 6 feet from my stove and burned a hole through the linoleum.

OH MY GOSH! WHOA! That's scary!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:24am
post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptain

oh, so i'm not the only one? icon_redface.gif no offense, but that's good to know! icon_lol.gif

I too have done this... icon_redface.gif

mrsright41401 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:28am
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Quote:

Do I get to win the award for being the stupidest baker ever? I left a chocolate cake in the oven OVERNIGHT once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! permanently ruined my pan, but the cake was total charcoal so it came easily out of the pan he he

I've done this too. More than once.

Rachel

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:37am
post #26 of 101

about 10 days ago i went home from the shop and left the back door unlocked.....

about 2 in the morning i got a funny feeling i needed to get up and go check on things....

i got dressed and went up...front door locked tight...but the back door was ajar.

oh man i had a sick feeling.....

i went in...nothing was missing, so i guess i just got so tired i forgot to lock it, and the wind blew it open.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 7:58am
post #27 of 101

Luckily my fiance is paranoid and checks the kitchen after I'm done cooking, in case I goof and leave something on.

I think the dumbest thing I've ever done, happened when I was making pumpkin silk pies for Thanksgiving. I was beating the batter with my handmixer when my fiance tripped over the cat and banged really hard into the wall near me. I jumped up and threw the beating mixer into the air and subsequently knocked over the entire bowl of batter (enough for two cakes). Go me, haha! When all was said and done we had pumpkin batter all over our pale yellow and green kitchen and the cat was absolutely covered. He ran RIGHT into the mess from being so afraid.. we had to give him a bath, LOL.

Another funny thing happened soon after I moved in with my fiance.. he was getting a dish out of the oven for me while I finished up something else for dinner. He reached in with just the pot holder, and he has REALLY big hands. So suddenly he bumps his hand on the hot sheet and yelps and starts flailing. Immediately I'm yelling at him to calm down, he KEEPS flailing and bangs his hand on the top inside of the oven from shaking it! Youch! So then he tries to pull it out quickly, runs it along the hot pan in the oven and dumps the pan and hot contents all over his foot (which was thankfully covered in a pair of socks). I grabbed a pitcher of lemonade and dumped the thing on his foot because I was afraid of him getting burnt, and he was still flailing! I slammed the oven shut and pushed him towards the bathroom to make sure he was okay, but the whole time I couldn't help but laugh that if he wasn't such a wuss there wouldn't have been the huge to-do! I've burnt myself a lot but I never flailed around like he did, haha. icon_rolleyes.gif Luckily all was well and there was no need for emergency room attention, and no scarring.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 8:16am
post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_B

Luckily my fiance is paranoid...

That may be the first time in history that those 4 words appeared in that order. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

I swear I have shut the oven off on a baking cake(s) no less than half a dozen times... when you try to turn the oven back on after 30 minutes like nothing happened they come out a bit on the firm side. icon_smile.gif

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 8:45am
post #29 of 101

When we first moved into our new house I was using the oven to bake a fruit cake. I always put the oven on before I start preparing the cake. Hubby came in and asked for some help out side so as a dutiful wife I trotted out side to help. When finished I carried on with the preparation of cake and placed it in the oven.
On checking the cake sometime later I found the oven had switched itself off and I thought wonderful oven, it obviously switches itself off when cake cooked. Spouted off to my friends about this wonderful feature with my new oven. It wasn't until a few cakes later I discovered it had a safety feature if the oven has been on for 5 hours it automaticly shuts off. One thing though I did come clean to my friends even though I was red faced. Well you never know with all the electronic contraptions these days do you?!! I now turn it off and on again if I have a day baking.
NikkiB sorry but I had a giggle when I read yours but I think I must have saddistic streak as I seem to laugh at some peoples misfortunes but feeling sorry for them at the same time if you know what I mean.

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 8:46am
post #30 of 101

Oh my gosh Nikki_B I laughed so hard at your story that I am crying and at this time I am at work so my coworkers may start to wonder what happened to me.

All of these stories are great. I see what I get to look forward to as I continue to bake more and more. So far I have not done any of these things. I have aways caught my tips before they went into the disposal but one of these days I know my disposal will win.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%