Cupcake Cake Pricing

Business By MomRocks Updated 29 Dec 2005 , 3:49pm by tye

MomRocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomRocks Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 12

How much do you generally charge for a cupcake cake? I have my first paid order for one. It's going to be about 45-ish cupcakes, with a buttercream transfer on top of the Baby Einstein farm animals. Not sure if the cupcakes will be filled or not. Any suggestions? Is $45-$50 about right? I'm so new at this, I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of pricing! Thanks for any input! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 12

When I price cupcakes...I take into consideration what sheet pan it is close to. For example...if it is about a 1/2 sheet I would charge 35.00. It seems like you would be in between a 1/2 sheet and 3/4 sheet. I think 40.00-45.00 would be about right. icon_smile.gif

MomRocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomRocks Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 3:06am
post #3 of 12

Great, thanks for help! icon_biggrin.gif

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:14am
post #4 of 12

How would you charge for a cup cakes in the cup cake stand... i have a bride that originally want plain ol' sheet cakes with nothing really on them.. i told her we could do simple and inexpensive look elegant... i plan on purchasing the large cup cake holder/tree but have no idea what to charge the bride?

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:31am
post #5 of 12

tye,

I made a cupcake tree wedding cake back in April for my sister's step son. I charged her $1.25 per cupcake but would probably charge $1.50-$2.00 or more depending on what they wanted on the cupcake. It is a serving of wedding cake so charge accordingly. On the one I did I just swirled on the icing with a large star tip and then sprinkled on edible glitter. If you PM me I will send you the link for the cupcake tree that I purchased as well as a picture of the one I did.

~luraleigh~

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:32am
post #6 of 12

tye,

I made a cupcake tree wedding cake back in April for my sister's step son. I charged her $1.25 per cupcake but would probably charge $1.50-$2.00 or more depending on what they wanted on the cupcake. It is a serving of wedding cake so charge accordingly. On the one I did I just swirled on the icing with a large star tip and then sprinkled on edible glitter. If you PM me I will send you the link for the cupcake tree that I purchased as well as a picture of the one I did.

~luraleigh~

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:34am
post #7 of 12

Hm, that would work out at less than $1.00 per cupcake ($1.37 Australian).
In Melbourne you wouldnt be able to buy an undercorated cupcake for that price. I've seen wedding cupcakes over here start off at $3.00Australian ($2.18 US) with the simplest of icings.
hm, interesting
Nati

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:41am
post #8 of 12

Boonenati,

I live in a small town in the midwest. I did this cupcake tree cake as a favor for my sister. Around here though the going rate is $2.00- $2.50 per serving of cake. I wish I could get what they get in the big cities but it is tough!!

~Luraleigh~

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:42am
post #9 of 12

Boonenati,

I live in a small town in the midwest. I did this cupcake tree cake as a favor for my sister. Around here though the going rate is $2.00- $2.50 per serving of cake. I wish I could get what they get in the big cities but it is tough!!

~Luraleigh~

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:51am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luraleigh

Boonenati,

~Luraleigh~

I can imagine that would be the case, especially if you have competition. I started off charging very low prices, and some people still thought it was too much, and others said they felt like they were ripping me off. I've put my prices right up now, and I've still had customers say they dont know how I do it for the price. Go figure!! Im going to charge to make it worth my time and effort. I am doing a cupcake cake in February and im charging $2.30(Australian - $1.70 US) which is far too little, but it's 140 cupcakes plus a 6 inch cake on top, so i will come out on top anyway. I wont be doing any more like that for less than $3.00 ($2.20US) in the future though. Too much work.
Nati

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 2:47am
post #11 of 12

tye,

I would charge at least 2.00 a cupcake. I would charge more for detailed decorations.

I saw some really adorable cupcakes in a magazine that were decorated like roses. That would be really pretty for a wedding.

Good luck...sounds like it will be a lot of fun to do! icon_smile.gif

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone for the advise... this really helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%