Rolled Buttercream Recipe

Baking By lpino Updated 9 Dec 2005 , 1:59pm by lpino

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

I love this recipe as it's very easy to do and to work with. Once it's ready, you just roll it as thin (or thick) as you want and cut it with the same cutter you did your cookies, this way you have a perfect match. Let it set for a bit and the you can add more decorations with royal icing.

Hope you like.

- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup shortening (crisco works better)
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp extract of your choice (lemon, orange, almond, etc.) -- I actually prefer to use orange, but that's just me!
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 2 lbs. powdered (icing) sugar

Cream together shortening and corn syrup, add salt and flavourings and mix well. Switching to the dough hook on your heavy duty mixer, add sugar, one cup at a time until combined. Mixture will be extremely thick. Turn-out dough and knead by hand using more sugar if sticky, for at least 2 minutes.

Store in airtight container and/or ziplock bag either at room temperature or in the fridge.

Once you are ready to decorate your cookies, colour the dough (I use wilton colors) and roll the dough using as much icing sugar as you need (the more you work it the easier it gets) and cut with cookie cutter to match your cookies. I use a little drop of the corn syrup to attach it to the cookie and voila!

I posted a couple of pictures in the gallery under "cookies" so you can see how they look with this recipe.

Have fun decorating your cookies! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! Your cookies look great ! This is how I would like mine to turn out. How do they taste? thumbs_up.gif

lpino Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 7

Actually, they are pretty good!!! At first I thought they would be too sweet (you know, sugar cookies plus more sugar in the buttercream) but they are just the perfect level of sweetness with a touch of orange (on the buttercream).

I gave them to some people who usually try stuff for me (brave people, I must say icon_rolleyes.gif ) and they all really liked them.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:14am
post #4 of 7

Thanks lpino!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:06am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the recipe. Your pictures look great! I've been wanting to try out rolled buttercream, hopefully I'll be able to do so soon.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:12am
post #6 of 7

Is the rolled buttercream like fondant? Does it soften on the cookies? Your cookies are beautiful!

lpino Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 7

The buttercream is like fondant. It sets but not as hard so you can actually bite into it and it won't break your teeth!!!
I don't recommend making the cookies too long in advance though because it tends to soften them because of its moisture. Sugar cookies then turn a little soft and I like them better crispier.

Try it and see how it goes. I love this recipe and the way the cookies turn out when you use it.

Post pictures when you're done! icon_smile.gif

Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%