Bidding On Ebay Why??

Decorating By Ladycake Updated 27 Mar 2005 , 2:44pm by Ladycake

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 21

Can any one tell me why???

There is a lady selling a much of them Betty Crocker Pans on ebay right now.... When I looked she must have had at least 10 if not more.. There were some that had bids on them so I keep looking and there were some that did not have bids on them so I bid on one of them that was not being bid on now mind you there is still a good handful that dont have bids on them so I think OK I should be able to get this pan right ??? WRONG why in the heck dont people just go bid on one that is not being bid on when there is more then one??? I dont understand.... Can anyone help me to understand... ????????

20 replies
midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 21

Most people wait until the last few seconds before placing a bid. If you just randomly bid on items, it bids the price up. Then someone else will come along & bid, then you bid again, and back & forth. Wait until the last few seconds, put in the highest price you'd be willing to pay & if you win you win & if not, the price was too high anyway. If there are several of the same pans listed that's good for you & not so smart for the seller. If there was only one pan listed and it was in high demand it would sell for a much higher price. Good luck.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 21

ya know I know this for a fact that there are bidders "hired" by the seller, and sometimes the seller just to up the amount...its illegal but it does happen and I happen to know people who have done that, and then you look at the time...if it ends first I have been known to bid on that item so that I know faster... but usually its the bidder or someone they know... I do bid on Ebay, but I try to stay away just in case!

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 21

Shill bidding (bidding your own auction up) is illegal & I think you can judge by a persons feedback if they are reputable.

There are websites that you can go to that will bid for you in the last few seconds of an auction. Most of them give you so many a month free.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 21

well, well, well, is that what's been happening! i believe it! i was bidding on an item that nobody seemed to want and then i found myself in a bidding war. how can you know if that's happening?

flayvurdfun Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 7:41am
post #6 of 21

you really cant though people have turned in people to ebay and went from there...

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 11:20am
post #7 of 21

Sometimes dumb bidders can seem like they're hired to drive up prices. I bid on some cards for my wife and a few days later I was out bid. So in checking, the seller had another set of identical cards for sale. I bid on those and won them. The other bidder had to pay more for the same thing. I will admit, I used to be like that. I would bid on the first item I liked without looking around first. (I've been ebaying since 199icon_cool.gif

Then there are the snipers. They like to bid within the last minute or in some cases, the last few seconds. From a bidder standpoint, they're (CENSORED) icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif , from a seller standpoint, they are a godsend because they drive the price way up, thus you get more money! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

angelkiss013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelkiss013 Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 21

I have to admit that this week , I was a sniper. There was a 3d bunny that i really wanted , and I was always out-bided by someone. That drove me crazy ! So a bid at the very last minute . And won.
I could have looked for a otrher seller , but i've bought 3 other pan from the same seller , so for my " bad behavior " i saved on shipping cost. And for me , it can be a lot !

But i dont usually do that. Sorry icon_redface.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 21

We forgive you, Angelkiss. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

angelkiss013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelkiss013 Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 21

thank you.... icon_lol.gif

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 21

I think with ebay, as with any auction, you should decide what you are willing to pay for the item, subtract the shipping cost and that should be your max bid. Most of the time, there are other auctions running offering the same item. I know what you mean tho about being outbid in the last seconds. That's irritating. especially when it is by a quarter or 50 cents. But then again, a max bid, should be just that, right? I feel for you ladycakes. It happens to me a lot too!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 21

Well I have sniped a few times on items I really want....however I have had sniping done to me in the last seconds and I was reallly mad since I really wanted the item.But I have learned that if you give it a day or so...the same item will be up for auction again!!

flayvurdfun Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 21

I think this is kind of funny. My husband was getting fustrated with something he wanted.... so dingesskahn (hubby's nickname from me) decides to bid PO'd... puts in like 200 thinking he would be outbid again (it was a high price item for hunting) well he got whacked!!!! I am sitting on the couch and hear "OHHHHHHH! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif " I said what are you doing he said like a kid in trouble 'nuttin just playin' I asked playing where and he said Ebay...then follows that with a really light voice "I think I bought something" when he told me what and the price I looked at him icon_confused.gif then it hit me...that mr I dont make mistakes and I started laughing. I had to... that would teach him to get mad on ebay!

Ladycake Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 21

I have sniped a few times myself... and there has been times that I know what time it was going to end and I waited till then also to bid....

I do bid the max that I am willing to pay and it never fails I lose it by .50 cents..

It just bothers me that they dont look around to see if there is anything else by the same seller that has not been bid on ...

I have all along thought that there were people out there that bid just to make the sell higher...

nashsmom Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 21

I think those people are out there too, but how do you prove it...? I am bidding on something now, waiting for it to close, keeping my fingers crossed, but in the meantime, I got a great deal on cake pans at our local A.C. Moore. They had 50% off certain wilton cake pans, so I got a set of 4 round pans in graduated sizes and the big sheet cake pan, all for $22.00, so I am doing a happy dance here!!! icon_biggrin.gif I looked at those Betty Crocker dome pans and thought about getting one, but then I couldn't think of a cake that I really wanted to put all that filling in. I'm not sure how much they were going for on ebay, but they do have them for sale here http://www.abcdistributing.com/store/0405F1/62.cfm?q=betty%20crocker&prevIndex=20&nextIndex=22&t=89&cart=

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 11:40pm
post #16 of 21

Ebay.com has published some reports in there seller's area where they have done EXTENSIVE market research.

They have found that people will bid on items that already have multiple bids. Even if there is the same item offered elsewhere with no bids. Its some sort of psychological response in the buyer that makes the item look more "desireable" if others are interested.

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 11:58pm
post #17 of 21

you can bid on something that you're selling but only once... i know it's allowed but if you do it more than that then you can get in trouble... i've only upped one of my auctions once (so yeah, i'm guilty)

zoolee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoolee Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 12:26am
post #18 of 21

Hello,

I thought I would just add some information to the ebaying. If it makes you feel better you probably not loosing your bids by only .50 . It just looks like you are. The person bidding against you might have put in a bid $10.00 more than yours but because the increments per bid above yours may only be .50 or 1.00 so it looks like you lost by that much when they win above your bid. ie.

Your maximum bid is 5.01 for a pan
Others max bid is 15.01 for same pan

If you two are the only ones bidding your competitor will win the pan for $5.51. One .50 bid increment above yours.

Ladycake Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 1:03am
post #19 of 21

Thanks for that site.. That is the going price even on TV and I would love to have one but I dont know if I want to pay $20 for one .. I am like you that is a lot of filling ... But I was thinking they would be great for Ice Cream Cakes???

nashsmom Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 21

I was hoping that would be cheaper for you. That would be a good pan for ice cream cakes! Or possibly a whipped cream filling. I can't imagine loading that up with buttercream. I got sniped again yesterday evening! I have been trying to find books by Mary Ford that are located in the US, thought I had one and then lost it in the last seconds of the auction! Grrrrrr! Anyways, maybe one of these pans would work for you? I have one, but haven't tried it yet. http://www.abcdistributing.com/store/vstore/283496.cfm?q=dome%20pan&prevIndex=0&nextIndex=2&t=1&cart=

Ladycake Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 2:44pm
post #21 of 21

You need to make a cake so I know if its worth buying...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%