Question For You Mouse.

Decorating By Joshsmom Updated 5 Apr 2005 , 1:30pm by allaboutoccasions

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 16

I've been reading about your suggestion of putting a large nail in the middle of large cakes so the cake bakes evenly.

What size cake should you begin doing this with? I have a heating core but never know if I should use it or not.

Thanks

15 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 16

I have baked a 12" round cake fine without one, but I would try the flower nail next time to see how it turned out. Definitely would put it in 14" or larger cake pan.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks, I just never know when its better to do that.

Would it also work if you just turned the oven down temp-wise and bake for longer, or better not to take the chance?

m0use Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 16

I didn't, but some people say you shoud. It's up to you.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 16

why! icon_cry.gif why! icon_cry.gif why wasn't i told these things?? icon_surprised.gif when i made that wedding cake, i thought i was going to pull my hair out. that cake would not seem to cook all the way! well, serves me right. i shoulda asked! icon_redface.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshsmom

Thanks, I just never know when its better to do that.

Would it also work if you just turned the oven down temp-wise and bake for longer, or better not to take the chance?

I bake all of my cakes at 325. I find that they do not dry out and the sides do not over cook on a lower temp.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 4:28am
post #7 of 16

I bake all my cakes at 325 too. My oven isn't cooking good because it's too small!! I'm supposed to be getting a new oven in the next week or so!! I can't wait! I don't use baking strips they are a waste of time. I've tried w/them & w/out them & there is no difference. I DO use the flower nails. Only in 12" cakes or larger. On 16" I use 2 nails. I have used the heating core & didn't like it at all. It was a waste of money! Plus I didn't like that big hole that was left in my cake! Like MOUSE said, Flower nails work just fine!!

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 26 Mar 2005 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 16

Well I baked a 14" cake without a nail or heating core, and it baked well actually...I glad nothing went wrong icon_rolleyes.gif I do bake my cakes at 350 till I smell it's time to take them out...I'm not sure though if I'll ever try making something larger....
What a coward!c icon_redface.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 4:01am
post #9 of 16

Godiva you could make any size cake you want & it would turn out wonderfully!!!!!!!! Your cakes are awsome!!!!

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 16

Wow TC, thanks so much for your vote of confidence, but I dont' even have that much in myself...Everytime I bake I get anxious; nervous....
The bigger the more stressed out I get....
will it bake right, will I be able to torte it evenly, will I be able to cover it smoothly ???? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

But I guess I just have to brave it out like you did icon_wink.gif) 16 is the next step for me then icon_wink.gif) With a heating core though or a nail....No room for booboos icon_smile.gif

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 27 Mar 2005 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 16

I too use the flower nail on anything over 12 inches, just to be safe, why not it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I also bake my cakes at 325 as I find my cakes overcook at anything higher, it is more accurate for me at 325.
I have the bake even strips and used them once and have never used them since, maybe if I do a really large cake but so far things have worked out well. thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 5:16am
post #12 of 16

Godiva~

I have the hardest time with my cakes too! The decorating part goes so smooth but the leveling & torting gives me big troubles! Then I can't tell if there level or not. From now on I'm using a ruler on every inch of the cake!! I'm so afraid the wedding cakes will be crooked when I set them up!! Then there is NO going back to fix them!! I cover it smooth but I do have trouble with the straight edges. I can do rounded really good but not straight!

Does anyone use a ruler to see if all sides are the same??????? Just curious~

Sgirvan~ It sounds like you & me do the same things when baking. COOL!!

allaboutoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutoccasions Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 16

I have never heard of using the flower nail can someone tell me how they use them for bigger cake baking ???? I know it is a silly ? But thats me....a little slow at some things.

m0use Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutoccasions

I have never heard of using the flower nail can someone tell me how they use them for bigger cake baking ???? I know it is a silly ? But thats me....a little slow at some things.

After you have filled your pan with cake batter....
1) Take a metal flower nail, coat it with cake release, cooking spray, or whatever it is you use to coat your pan.
2) Stick flat head down first into the middle of the pan, right into the batter.
3) Bake cake according to your directions.
4) When flipping cake over onto cooling rack to cool, flower nail will pop out and leave a small hole in the middle of the cake.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 16

I'm too nervous about that torting thing icon_eek.gif . I usually do 4 layers and i bake them all seperate. I justhave these visions of the cake crumbling in my hand as I torte it icon_surprised.gif . Too scary for me, besides this is easier, no crumbs! thumbs_up.gif

allaboutoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutoccasions Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:30pm
post #16 of 16

WOW fast at answering. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%