Wilton Called!

Decorating By toddsgirl Updated 5 Dec 2005 , 6:50pm by heather15b

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 6:26pm
post #31 of 33

At Michaels, they request 2 demos/2 hours each per month. I get paid hourly, $7/hr, and $5 gift certificates from Wilton per hour (up to $20/month). We also have to do Class Previews every other month for 3 hours at $50 each. It's really not worth it for the money, but it does get the word out about your classes and increase enrollment. I have to make sure I'm not right at the entrance to the store though. If I'm there, I'm just the information booth and really don't get much decorating done. The other thing is they "require" you to offer gingerbread classes in November and December. I can't get people to sign up for them, but my Course 3 students are begging me to do the other project classes! Oh well, they'll just have to wait until January! Project classes are another way to increase your income. You can do cookie bouquets, candy, kids classes, etc. I'm going to try to do a cupcake cake class sometime too. (Once I get the technique down!) We also get paid for displays- $42 for 4-week class displays and $21 for project class displays.

Kelly

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 6:32pm
post #32 of 33

DANG!!

At Garden Ridge, we're not required to do jack squat except offer classes each month. They don't push demo's or displays or even project classes on us. I was thinking of seeing if any Michael's stores in my area were in need of an instructor because of your new policy of teaching classes even if you don't meet the 4-student minimum, but I'd never have time for all that.

Thanks for letting me know! You work your butt off! LOL

heather15b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather15b Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 6:50pm
post #33 of 33

I am a Wilton Instructor at Garden Ridge. I just do the demo every quarter, and that's it. Not enough people have signed up to do the classes- minimum of 4...but they think it will pick up after the holidays. Michaels sounds a lot more strict! AC Moore has similar pricing to Garden Ridge, I believe. Hope you all are having fun instructing!! I've only had one class so far that I've been in charge of, hoping for it to pick up after the holidays.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%