What Do I Do?

Decorating By Beecharmer Updated 29 Mar 2005 , 7:43am by PureShugga

Beecharmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beecharmer Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 14

Hi. I am in the midst of baking my first large (16") cake. It is a practice for my wedding cake. So, I've got the cake in the oven and I have extra batter which I put in the 6" pan. It takes an hour to bake the large cake. Will the batter be ok in the 6" pan until it is done? Should I put it in the fridge? Will it ruin the leavening action? I need help fast!

13 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 14

It will be fine left out on the counter.
Did you rememeber to put a metal flower nail in the middle of the big cake so that it bakes evenly?

Beecharmer Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, I did remember. This forum has been incredibly helpful. I have learned so much here.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 14

Whew...glad to hear that you remembered. Hope that things work out. Glad that we can help you!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 6:20am
post #5 of 14

If you have a good oven & a big one you can also put the 6" cake in to bake with the 16" cake. Just check it after 30 min or less. That will save you some time~

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 8:47am
post #6 of 14

if you put the batter in the frig' it will get thick. i did that, and then used it. the cake came out different. i didn't like it.

Beecharmer Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 11:39am
post #7 of 14

I wasn't sure about baking more than one level of cakes. I was afraid the air wouldn't circulate good enough and didn't want to risk rotating them like I do cookies. My oven is a new Whirlpool, but not a professional or anything.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:49am
post #8 of 14

As long as you have a big oven you should be able to bake 2 cakes at a time. My oven is bearly 19" wide so I have hardly any room to have one cake come out good! 12" & under come out nice but anything over that doesn't look so great! I am making my wedding cakes at my mom's work. She is the manager of a HS kitchen! I can make all the batter at once in her huge mixer, I can bake all the cakes at the same time because the kitchen has 4 big ovens. I could probably bake them all in one oven. It is going to be so easy!!! I actually can't wait to bake all the cakes now!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:55am
post #9 of 14

Actually, you can do it, but you are better off not leaving batter on the counter for more than 10 to 20 minutes because it actually does proof or rise due to room temperature and though the cake will be alright, it won't be at its best. Generally, I would not let a cake sit this long if there is a choice.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:06am
post #10 of 14

I have always wondered about this subject too. In the Cake Doctor book she states she had the same questions asked to her about batter and she did a test - said it worked perfectly - no problem. She made up a batch of batter in the morning and put it in an airtight container into the fridge and came back to it 12 hours later - put it in a pan and baked - said it came out like all others - hmmm interesting topic here.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:13am
post #11 of 14

Actually Shugga, that is what commercial bakers do, put the batter in a cool place when the need arises. But not in the cake pan, in the bowl, covered and you transfer it to the cake pan just before putting the pan in the oven. I also find that it works fine for cookie batter, just refridgerate it if for some reason you cannot bake the cookies right away.
The reason you don't let it sit at room temperature in the pan is that is does rise or proof. The longer it sits there, the more chance it has of absorbing the flour and grease that you coated the pan with and also since it is rising in the pan because of the room temperature it will not rise properly, the way it is meant to, gradually in the oven.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

stuttgartkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stuttgartkim Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 6:25am
post #12 of 14

Sorry, but I'm a bit out of the loop... I dont know about putting a metal flower nail in the middle of large cakes. Details, please.

- Kim

PureShugga Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 7:42am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttgartkim

Sorry, but I'm a bit out of the loop... I dont know about putting a metal flower nail in the middle of large cakes. Details, please.

- Kim

I have not used this method but if you turn a flower nail upside down and place it in a large cake it helps distribute the heat and cooks a more even cake like a heating core would do also.

PureShugga Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 7:43am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Actually Shugga, that is what commercial bakers do, put the batter in a cool place when the need arises. But not in the cake pan, in the bowl, covered and you transfer it to the cake pan just before putting the pan in the oven. I also find that it works fine for cookie batter, just refridgerate it if for some reason you cannot bake the cookies right away.
The reason you don't let it sit at room temperature in the pan is that is does rise or proof. The longer it sits there, the more chance it has of absorbing the flour and grease that you coated the pan with and also since it is rising in the pan because of the room temperature it will not rise properly, the way it is meant to, gradually in the oven.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Ahhhhhhhh I see said the blind man - you are so wise Ma!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%