How To Cover A Board W/fondant

Decorating By mcalhoun Updated 27 Apr 2015 , 8:34pm by Frank68

mcalhoun Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 9

Can I use the regular cake boards or does it need to be covered with foil or something first? Also would it look nice to put a buttercream grooms cake on a fondant covered board?
Melissa

8 replies
tiptop57 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 9

I have gone strictly to fondant covered boards now. Even if it is just a white fondant covering. I think the creation looks "finished".

I just roll it larger than the cake drum I am using, Mist the cake drum with water, apply and trim. Looks lovely.......

mcalhoun Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks tiptop57! Do you cover them in advance so they will harden? Do you put a board under the cake itself?

springlakecake Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 9

I have been thinking of doing this also. I have a question also. Do you wrap the fondant around the edge or do you cut it off at the top edge (so the side of the drum is exposed) and just add a ribbon? I thought you would wrap it, but then I saw in a book where she just cut it off.

tiptop57 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

I do not cover the boards in advance, but I don't see why not......and yes the cake underneath should have a cake board but some designs do not have edging (i.e. see my book, duck and fishing lure - no edge on the design hence no board.) On a round or square cake for sure I would put it on a cake board. It is to difficult getting the cake onto fondant without one.

Then I do not cover the sides I just hot glue a contrasting ribbon. icon_wink.gif

mcalhoun Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry I don't mean to be a pest but I have another question. When the cake is cut does it cut up the fondant?

tiptop57 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 9

No not if it is on a cake board then placed onto the fondant.

Otherwise, if the cake is directly on the fondant then yes the board fondant is cut along with the piece of cake. (So use good fondant. And this is why I do not use piping gel under my fondant but only a spritz of water.)

Lellyk4 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 9

Can I ask, what do you all do with number cakes? I would usually use a cake board the same size as cake before placing on the iced board..but what do you use for number cakes before placing on iced boards! 

Ive seen people use foil covered card in shape of number, but would the foil not tear when the cake is being cut? 

As I'm sure you're aware, I'm new to all this...any help much appreciated! TIA x

Frank68 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 9

I also do all of my cakes with a covered fondant board. For 16" or less, I use the Wilton cake boards, anything over that I use MDF boards from Global Sugar Art. I do exactly what tiptop57 does and I do them a few days in advance so I don't need to worry about it. If you're going to apply a pattern to the fondant then do it immediately after you've covered the board. 

If you're going to do additional decorations on the board, wait until you've set the first tier on the board to do anything else.  

I don't do number cakes but I would be inclined to use a board the full width/length of the number (meaning I would not try to match the shape of the actual number. Same principles would apply to covering with fondant as I think plain foil looks unfinished.

-Frank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%