This Frosting Rocks!!

Baking By Cake_Geek Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 8:14pm by angelas2babies

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 May 2006 , 7:16pm
post #61 of 71

Reading all the posts, there were a lot of comments on the aftertaste of crisco. I found that if you whip your crisco with your flavoring for 15 min it will cut down on that taste. It was a tip I received from a decorator that has been doing it for over 20 yrs. I use the all crisco buttercream (with only 1/2 the crisco is calls for) without any comments on the aftertaste. It's just too sweet for some though.

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:09pm
post #62 of 71

OK - I just made a cake with the modified charlotte's buttercream recipe (from earlier in this thread) and I think it came out great! It is the sand castle cake in my photos. THe icing is great (although I had to get the hang of adding the boiling water to the meringue powder without ending up with scrambled eggs - I finally slowly poured the water down the side of the bowl as the whisk was mixing - it worked well) - it pipes well, although I think really intricate stuff would need the good old WIlton Buttercream - and it tastes divine! Thick and rich and creamy while not too sweet. It was also pretty easy to smooth, I thought. I even did three different icing colors to ice the cake and really had no trouble. I love it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ishynooshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishynooshy Posted 29 May 2006 , 12:08pm
post #63 of 71

I just made a batch of this icing and it tastes great! The only problem is that it turned out all gritty, but I know why (I didnt use meringue powder...ran out so used an egg white. And I used melted copha instead of criso...it almost doesnt exist here in Oz)

To me there wasnt really much of a taste of shortening in it compared to what I've heard of Criso...but dont quote me on that

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 29 May 2006 , 8:36pm
post #64 of 71

Well, I thought this icing tasted really really great when I first whipped it up, but by the time the cake was served, maybe a day and a half later, I really feel it changed a bit. It was still good, but it didn't have that really great, creamy taste anymore. It was more sweet too...I think I might go back to my old favorite - the White as Snow Buttercream from Wilton.

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 30 May 2006 , 12:32am
post #65 of 71

Thought I would add to this as well, I had said earlier that this was the only recipe that I used. I used to use the variation where it was all mixed in one bowl, I have since switched to the two bowl version and was very surprised that it does in fact get a crust. It still baffles me that the same recipe made two ways will get such different results. The one bowl method is very soft. I use the hot water method to smooth it and I can get very crisp corners with it. For chocolate icing I add cocoa powder and sometimes even add some melted choc to get an even deeper chocolate color.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 2:55pm
post #66 of 71

i have used the viva method with this frosting after letting the cake sit for about 15 mins and the recipe makes 8 cups.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:07am
post #67 of 71

I'm going to try this!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:28am
post #68 of 71

I'm going to try it on my next cake as well.

Angie

angelas2babies Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 1:42am
post #69 of 71

I tried the 2 bowl version and followed the directions exactly. IT DID ROCK!! I took it to work and I got the following comments on it...

"Reminds me of wedding cake frosting"
"Very light and smooth"
"It isn't too sweet, just right"

Everyone licked their plates clean.

My personal review on the frosting...

THE BIGGEST PAIN EVER TO MAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
It wasn't as flavorful as I would have liked, but I think it's mostly because I ran out of butter extract and didn't have any good vanilla extract around.

I didn't mind frosting with it. I used a big, hot spatula and it smoothed fine.

My biggest question is can it be refridgerated?? I know it says not to, but just wondering why.

I am going to try the modified recipe that was posted as well. I really enjoyed reading everyone's comment and the detailed review of the recipe. It would be nice to have such comments on all of the recipes.

Thanks!
Angie

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #70 of 71

Okay guys...now I am going to have to go and make a cake just so I can try out this icing! I love hearing everyone's personal experiences with this recipe...Mods if you are listening this would be a great feature to add to the recipe section!

angelas2babies Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 8:14pm
post #71 of 71

I'm glad to see another Grey's Anatomy fan!!! I can't wait for the new season! I am going through serious withdrawl! LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%