When/what Was The Moment That Made U Decide....

Decorating By SweetBellina Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 7:58pm by notjustcake

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 28

that you were ready to have a cake shop..that is also my dream that i feel won't come true..

27 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 28

Never never never never never NEVER give up your dreams. EVER!!! If you don't know where you're going how will you ever get there??? Always shoot for the stars -- you'll be surprised how close you get to them!! icon_wink.gif

SweetBellina Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 28

maybe someday..i'l be close even to the tiniest star.lol..you're location is very appropriate, ryt behind me...encouraging to reach for my star..thank you...i looked at ur website..very easy to navigate..

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 28

It's just not your time make it your long term goal and for now always buy good quality pans for the future!!! icon_biggrin.gif that's what I'm doing and I'm making sure my husband has a good credit score for that loan in the future! icon_twisted.gif

SweetBellina Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 28

ok, that's a good tip.. icon_lol.gif ...will it help to give DH a massage once in a while? icon_lol.gif

oreochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oreochic Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 28

Im right there with you marj!! icon_rolleyes.gif
It has been my dream for awhile to have my own bakery or even a home bakery! I have been raised around cake decorating & catering to weddings & only got back into it after I started my family a few yrs back. There isnt even a bakery in my town & I think I would do really good! I know I would still do pretty good even if there was lots of competition. Not trying to be conseded cause Im my own worst enemy when it comes to my mistakes!
But I love to decorate cakes! I work full time & have 2kids & sometimes dont have time to decorate but when I do have time I go wild!!
But on the other hand I have 2kids to feed & 1 still in daycare! I just cant afford lease out a building nor can I afford to upgrade my own kitchen to open a home based bakery right now. But Im not giving up on my dream! I am just working hard to get there!!
Im building my client list already!! I have several regulars that keep me busy. And with that extra bit of money I buy supplies. Small supplies of course. And I already have a buisness partner ready when I am. My grandmother! She is the one who taught me to decorate. (old school of course but still awesome tips!) She is retired now & does not do it on her own anymore however she still works part-time in a local grocery decorating cakes! She even has her old clients that will recognize her & ask her for cakes... she guides them my way!!

Dont give up your dream!! If you want it bad enough it will come true! You just have to be patient. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 28

Sometimes it takes 20 to 25 years (like me) to get there .... and that's not a bad thing! As I look back and think "I could have done this anytime!" .... well, that's not quite true! At this point in my life, it just feels right ... and that's how you know. HAd I jumped right in way back then, I would have been a dismal failure because of everythign I didn't know and my focus just wasn't where it should be.

My daughter, who orginally started out being my "partner", backed out because she has a 4 year old and she feels that where her focus should be. She's right! This business (well, any business!) needs 110% focus and if she's worrying about time away from her daughter, then she's not doing me or the business any good! The time isn't right for her.

But Gramma can do it! thumbs_up.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 28

I just started an at home bakery and business is going well. I am saving all I make to buy a storefront. I have wanted to stay home and bake and eventually have my own place. I have 4 daughters at home that I would love to pass the business on to. I should have done this a long time ago.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 28

My futuristic goal is to also have a bakery.... I would like to get licensed out of my home for now until I can afford more, but the legality issues are so sticky in my state, I can't even get anyone to email or call me about where to start. I already have a huge client base because my family is large and everyone they know, knows me.... so I can't complain. I am also a SAHM right now with an almost 4 year old daughter (southern suzie icon_smile.gif and my son due next week. I will give it time, maybe once she is in school and he is a little older we can start. Ideally I would like a little place where he can be with me and she can come to after school... hey why not shoot for the moon. My sis in law taught me the basics, and then I did my Daughter's 2nd birthday cake... I have been hooked since (2 years now) and even through all of the Wilton classes, I still love what I do. I love people's reaction to my work and I love when I get repeats. I am still young (well I consider 28 young... 29 in May) so I am not rushing anything now..... but if I haven't put my foot in something by 35, I will get worried icon_smile.gif I am also working on an MBA right now which will help me run my business in the future, so you could say I am lining it all up for a successful launch in a few years. Just keep your eyes focused on your dreams and in time they will come true.....Good luck!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 28

I didn't want the empty shop attached to my house initially but my husband convinced me it was a good idea to buy it and lease it to someone else. As soon as we did this, I wanted it! icon_confused.gif That is when I began to "play" at making and decorating cakes. A year later, my hobby was taking up too much time and space in my house and so when the tenant decided she wanted out of the lease early we said "YES!" icon_lol.gif I wanted to create a window display for a 3 month trial period to see what happened and the rest is history! thumbs_up.gif The best decision I ever made!

I hope your dreams all come true for you! I wish you luck and good fortune. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 28

aine2, I am envious of you having a shop attached to your house! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 28

indydebi, send me your e-mail address and I'll give you a tour! thumbs_up.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:03pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

It's just not your time make it your long term goal and for now always buy good quality pans for the future!!! icon_biggrin.gif that's what I'm doing and I'm making sure my husband has a good credit score for that loan in the future! icon_twisted.gif

ok - can I just say ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGHGHGGHGHGH!!!!!!

sorry - I'm in banking. This one is a pet peeve of mine. YOU need to have a good credit score. you can't rely on your husband for that!!!!!!! What if something happened to him (god forbid)?

SweetBellina Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:50pm
post #14 of 28

these are all encouraging..and aine, I AM JEALOUS too that u have a shop attached to your house..i have a lot of pans right now and so much colors and dusting powders..so maybe that is a start..one thing though, do u know anyone or maybe yourself that never took a single class but is successful in decorating?

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marj

..one thing though, do u know anyone or maybe yourself that never took a single class but is successful in decorating?

Over 25 years ago I bought a Wilton book and some tips and bags and taught myself. My first wedding cake was covered in roses and I had never made a rose up to that point. I think I've done ok!

I would encourage taking the classes though. I can whip out 100 roses in under an hour, but I can't make an apple blossom to save my butt! There are lots of things I can't do that I haven't had time to pick up on. So take the classes to get a least a base knowledge of a good variety of techniques! (Do I sound like a mom, or what?)

SweetBellina Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 28

you sounded like a mom yeah, and i absolutely love it! lol..that is one of my conflicts..i am learning by myself..right now i do only fondant coz i find it easier although i've only made 7 cakes total...i also learned a lot from cc but i feel there's more i can do if i take some basic courses..

notjustcake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

ok - can I just say ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGHGHGGHGHGH!!!!!!

sorry - I'm in banking. This one is a pet peeve of mine. YOU need to have a good credit score. you can't rely on your husband for that!!!!!!! What if something happened to him (god forbid)?

Well I was trying to be funny icon_smile.gif , but since I can't jump into the whole cake shop thing right now icon_sad.gif what I meant to say is icon_smile.gif "all I can really do is make sure our finances are in good standing so when it is my time to own my bakery it will be easier", I can rely on DH all I want because he depends on me also
WHAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO ME??????? icon_eek.gif

I rely on my DH's credit because he has one! I don't I have no income! icon_redface.gif Never established mine, icon_sad.gif

Sorry I offended you icon_sad.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:07am
post #18 of 28

Someday I will pull out the idea/dream book and it will come true... I could kick myself for not taking up my employer when I was out of high school to take over the bakery...

But you can't cry over spilled milk, you can just forge ahead - it will happen, when is the question.
icon_smile.gif

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:09am
post #19 of 28

aine2 - I would love a tour also! I'll pm you with my e-mail. Thanks!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:18am
post #20 of 28

I think I decided about 4 or 5 months ago to open a shop, but not a storefront. I just want to get licensed and have kitchen space so I can hand out business cards and such without worrying about "getting busted". After all this time, I found a bagel shop owner who will let me "use" her kitchen until I can test my market.

This has not always been my dream. I started decorating a little over a year ago, and I keep getting repeat orders and referals that give me repeat business. If I can do that with just people I know, I'm sure I can be successful.

My DH and my children are so supportive, I have a great network of friends and connections to help steer me in the right directions and provide me with excellent resources for information.

I'm feeling optimistic for the future. Things just feel right. My kids are now in school full time, finally, and now I get to be a grown up and PLAY!!!

I love what I do, am fairly good at it, and I keep learning new things each time I do a cake.

I knew I didn't want to be a stay at home mom forever, but I never knew going back to work could be such fun. I also find it rewarding when I can make someone's day with a beautiful cake made just for them.

I think loving what you do is a huge part of being successful. Never give up your dreams. When the time is right, you'll just know.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:21am
post #21 of 28

For us it was the day my wife & I realized that we made too much money and had to much spare time as a result of our old jobs. We opened a cake shop and... problem solved. icon_wink.gif

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:32am
post #22 of 28

PieceOfCakeAZ - you are toooooo funny!

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 5:44am
post #23 of 28

So what to do when you work in a bakery and to open a shop of any kind is a violation of our competition clause? icon_cry.gif And you want to keep that job for the benefits, the 401 k and the coworkers you love like sisters?

And then you spent a year taking care of a terminally ill MIL and then DH was laid off... so two years spent putting him back to school while working two jobs has only left us with a stack of bills and a nice education loan to pay. icon_cry.gif

I feel like I'm further away from my dreams now than I have ever been!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

That's why i had the madness to challenge Charm city. icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:21pm
post #24 of 28

Cakenicing4u, buy one of Dave Ramsey's books. It will get you there.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:27pm
post #25 of 28

I realised last summer I could never do this as a business because I don't like making wedding cakes. Sure there are other cakes you can make, but the big money is in wedding cakes.

I also know that if I had to make x number of cakes a week to be able to pay the bills I would probably like making cakes less and less.

If I won the lottery or married someone with alot of extra money, instead of opening a cake shop I think I'd open a cake supply shop. The closest in my area is 2 hours away. I'd put in a kitchen and a classroom, so I could do cakes if I wanted, and could continue teaching classes, but atleast I'd have something else to make money off besides just cakes. icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:27pm
post #26 of 28

I agree try dave's website too, he rocks!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:51pm
post #27 of 28

icingandsprinkles
It's easy enough to start building your own credit. Just have the electric or gas bill put in your name. That's what I did many years ago, and now my credit score is almost as high as it CAN be. (So also is my husbands - I do the bills) icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 7:58pm
post #28 of 28

7yrrt I did not know that dunce.gif I pay all the bills and I even bought our house my husband only showed up to the closing of course without him I wouldn't be able to do it. I never did anything about it cause the first thing creditors ask for is income anyways is good to know I guess I better switch my bills some of our utilities are in both our names not our credit cards though, but I guess utilities are just as good, thanks! Yeah a bakery is everyone's dream it all started as a hobby to me and I am getting some orders for my cakes I can't give them free cakes so I have to charge something, but after my kids are older it's definately something I wish, thanks for the info...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%