Decorating By sue_dye Updated 22 Feb 2007 , 12:49am by moydear77

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:28am
post #1 of 23

22 replies
kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 9:57am
post #2 of 23

Great video! Have you tried the recipe? Is it any good?

Kelly

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 23

Great video, but I have a question. She says that you don't need to use a thermomether to check to see if the egg whites are 140 degrees. Instead she says to rub some icing between your fingers and if you don't feel sugar that means the mixture was hot enough to melt it and it's ready. BUT does sugar have to reach 140 degrees to melt?? How come when we make kool-aid using cold water it all disolves or "melts"?????

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 23

That's a pretty neat video....
I have never made it but can you use merangue powder instead? Just curious....

icon_smile.gif Thanks

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 23

just get the thermometer. 140 is hot - you'll burn yourself! the 140 degrees is because of the egg whites, i believe.

SMBC is very very buttery tasting. not as sweet as decorator BC.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 23

I've been looking for something like this b/c I was having trouble with my SMBC!

I'm going to try this today!

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 23

Great video! Thank you for sharing! Czyadgrl....when you make this, please let us know what you thought!

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 23

Great video - thanks for sharing! I plan to try this soon!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 23

You've inspired me to try SMBC!
I hate using shortening (transfats & such), but I've been afraid to try "cooked" icing- the video makes it look totally do-able!

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 23

Sugar melts at a higher temp than 140, that's why she says the egg whites are safe. Sounds really easy, I'll give it a try, too.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 23

I have also been afraid of this icing, this video makes me want to try it. Thanks for sharing.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by albumangel

You've inspired me to try SMBC!
I hate using shortening (transfats & such), but I've been afraid to try "cooked" icing- the video makes it look totally do-able!

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

according to crisco's website, the new formulation has 0 grams of trans fat per serving.

http://www.crisco.com/about/shortening_0gramstransfat.asp

czyadgrl Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 10:07pm
post #13 of 23

Ok, I just got done whipping this up!
Some background on my previous SMBC experiments:
- Tried a Martha Stewart recipe
- Tried Toba Garrett's recipe

Think I did not follow proper procedure both times, they both tasted like pure butter to me, and broke down and started squirting out liquid within minutes of icing my cakes (I had refrig'd each for a day before putting on cake.)

I followed the 1,2,3 exactly. While the sugar/egg combo was whipping, it took much longer than 4 or 5 minutes to get "cool" which I would guess is suppossed to be room temp. I whipped for close to 10 minutes and it was still warm to the touch.

I added some butter and could tell it was going to melt it, so I put the whole bowl in the fridge for a few minutes (I think I read elsewhere that you could do this with SMBC).

Anyway, about 5 min. in the fridge and continued to add the butter. Did that "curddle" thing, then popped right back to a nice smooth icing. Added a hint of almond extract.

IT TASTES GOOD! It's buttery, but not overly so like my previous attempts. Has a nice sweetness to it. So far, I like it.

I'm going to put it on a cake now and i'll post back later how that goes...

The only thing is that recipe doesn't make very much. I'm guessing there's around 3 to 3.5 cups max. I'm a little worried if it will cover the cake, but it's practice, so we'll see...

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 10:35pm
post #14 of 23

I love Martha Stewart's recipe. I did however use 1/2 salted butter & 1/2 unsalted. Martha uses all unsalted & adds some coarse salt to the mixture. It turned out great. Used it on my Valentine cakes. I just loved the taste. I added white chocolate & Kahlua.

czyadgrl Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 23

UPDATE!

There is NOT enough icing to cover a 2-layer 8" round cake.
It covered the dam for filling, and I tried a new method on the outside - using a #23 tip to pipe up and dow the sides and just over the top edge.

And that's it. I managed to eek out the thinnest layer for the top of the cake. And no borders or anything extra than the sides of the cake. Now I guess I'll make the 123 SMBC again, have extra and find out what happens when it's put in the fridge.

It smooths like a DREAM with a hot spatula though. Only 2 quick trips around the side and it's like ice, baby!! LOL

execpt I just realized: I used up the last of the butter in the house and only defrosted enough frozen egg whites for one recipe. Well .... time to get creative with the top of that cake.

luvbakin Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 12:55am
post #16 of 23

I do remember the lady saying you could easily double or triple the recipe. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. I just may give it a try.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:24am
post #17 of 23

Great video, going into my favorites. Thanks much!

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:37am
post #18 of 23

Thanks for posting that video! I'm one of those people that learns much better by watching, so it helps me tremendously.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:44am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLadyM

Thanks for posting that video! I'm one of those people that learns much better by watching, so it helps me tremendously.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-81821-videos.html

That thread has not only the video but many other helpful ones. HTH. thumbs_up.gif

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:48am
post #20 of 23

I watched this video a couple of weeks ago and gave it a try, and it was so nasty!! But then i read that you have to use unsalted butter, so i guess that makes a big difference, i haven't tried it again since.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #21 of 23

Gel or paste is water based color. The best color o use is oil based color. You can use gel but you will use a lot of it.

luvbakin Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Gel or paste is water based color. The best color o use is oil based color. You can use gel but you will use a lot of it.

Oil based color???? Where do you get that?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 12:49am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Oil based color???? Where do you get that?

The same stuff for candy coloring will do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%