ChefMindi Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:09pm
post #1 of

icon_sad.gif Someone Please help! I am frosting a cake for a party and I am having a horrible time. I have cut out my shape from the cake and now when I go to frost it the frosting won't stick and it keeps pulling off pieces of the cake. I'm using a buttercream frosting and a cake-mix chocolate cake. I have had this problem before and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any tips would very very helpful!

9 replies
Lisa Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:16pm
post #2 of

Go straight to your nearest hobby shop and buy the cake icer tip icon_biggrin.gif ! It is the easiest way to frost the sides of a cut-out cake. Otherwise, just thin your icing a little so it will stick.

MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:29pm
post #3 of

Absolutely...I wouldn't even consider icing a cake without Tip # 789!! thumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:33pm
post #4 of

Sounds like the icing might be too thick. Try thinning the icing down a bit so it doesn't stick to the spatula.

Debbie

tripletmom Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:51pm
post #5 of

Get the icer tip, thin the icing down and put the cake in the fridge to set for a little bit. A combination of all these things should make icing it a little easier.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 10:36pm
post #6 of

And partially freeze the cake. I normally never crumb coat, but since you have cut this cake into a shape, I would strongly suggest it. Chocolate is horrible for crumbing without being cut, so you definitely may need to crumb coat.

flayvurdfun Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 10:42pm
post #7 of

I have yet to get the icer tip.... I keep forgetting!!!!!! So I use my Pampered Chef Accent decorator put the frosting on,and smooth it out... seems to work, and its pretty easy... I do intend fully on getting tip!

anyway back to question.... I had the same problem with these egg cakes! I gave up and threw a crumb coat on, it helped alot but then I had a problem when it came to icing... the crumbs still found their way out! Thats ok though i took care of it, but man one headache today after another!!!! I agree with everything said here!!!!!!!! thin the frosting, and get the tip.... if you cant get tip yet then use a accent decorator or I know people that put the frosting in a ziploc and just squeeze !!!!!!!

tcturtleshell Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 5:53am
post #8 of

That's funny because I was going to ask the same question about the icing not sticking!!! I figured my icing was too thick. I was having that problem then the problem of my icing not drying! I use the icing tip so that wasn't the problem. The icing was too thick! After that it was smooth sailing.

jscakes Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 6:24am
post #9 of

I received some advice on this from SquirellyCakes, she crumb coats her cakes with the thinned down Apricot glaze and she swears by it. I believe she does this when she takes them out of the pan...SquirellyCakes, are you watching? If so, whach-ya-think?

tcturtleshell Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 6:56am

She gave me that recipe too. I have used it many times. It makes the cakes so moist! Love it! Here lately I haven't had time to use it so I've just been using Dawn's technique. So I don't crumb coat. It works fine for me w/ all cakes except chocolate. I have a small choc crumbs here & there on my cake. Squirrelycakes is awsome! She knows her cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%