chefamanda Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:43pm
post #1 of

I'm making a red velvet cake for the first time and I'm not sure what fillings go well with that time of cake. Can anyone give me some advice on what filling they've used? Thanks!

30 replies
KayDay Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:23am
post #2 of

I like cream cheese filling in red velvet...vanilla or regular BC is good too. Chocolate is excellent also.... most anything goes well with red velvet.

somethingmoore Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:28am
post #3 of

I have never made a "from scratch" red velvet before, can you post to this thread when the cake is done to let me know how your recipe turns out? If it's good, can you post the recipe? I'm looking for a good tried and true recipe.

Thanks!

southrnhearts Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:50am
post #4 of

well in the south red velvet is meant to have a cream cheese and pecan filling, no one would eat it any other way

tyty Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:57am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingmoore

I have never made a "from scratch" red velvet before, can you post to this thread when the cake is done to let me know how your recipe turns out? If it's good, can you post the recipe? I'm looking for a good tried and true recipe.

Thanks!




The recipe on CC, Sarah's red velvet is great.

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:14am
post #6 of

I just did one for a wedding and flavored the filling with cheesecake flavoring; it was really good.

somethingmoore Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:34pm
post #7 of

Ok, thanks tyty: I already have that one saved in my recipe box!! Thanks for letting me know what you are using.

cakerunner Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:40pm
post #8 of

yes, cream chees!

newlywedws Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 6:19am
post #9 of

Okay gotta correct this statement

Quote:
Quote:

well in the south red velvet is meant to have a cream cheese and pecan filling, no one would eat it any other way




I beg to differ - I'm a southern girl and I will never eat RVC if it has cream cheese frosting on it thumbsdown.gif cream cheese frosting is fine on carrot cake, it's fine on spice cake...but don't mess up a lovely RVC w/ cream cheese icon_mad.gif Triple YUCK!

I'm very passionate about RVC...it began at a young age, I was about 7 years old, and one of my relatives made an RVC... well I took a bite, and loudly announced "This is nasty it tastes like rotten cheese, it's not like Gramma's"
Needless to say momma told me I hurt her feelings and made me write an apology note- which I discovered that she saved (she gave it to me this past Christmas) Honest truth this is what I wrote at the age of 7 -

"Dear Aunt _______
Momma said I hurt your feelings, I hope they get better. I'm sorry you messed up your cake. Gramma's cake is yummy, you should ask her to teach you to make it like she makes it, then yours will be yummy like hers.

P.S. do you still like me
P.P.S. I don't know why I need to say I'm sorry, I was telling the truth your cake was gross.

After that little incident, momma made me write the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" about 50 times...didn't really work in the area of RVC - RVC is the one subject that will get me fired up - either make it the right way, or don't make it at all.

cakerunner Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 2:16pm

So, newlywed,
What IS the right way? Now you have me curious!I like it with cream cheese, but my best girlfriend has it with this boiled icing, I made it on her request. It is very creamy andy not too sweet. Is that what you like? It has a little bit of a flour taste to it though, but nothing objectionable. Please tell us what the right way is!!!!!

lsawyer Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm

This will probably horrify newlywedws, but my daughter's friend just requested a 21st b-day cake, as follows:
red velvet cake (GREAT recipe, Sarah!)
vanilla bean ice cream filling
cream cheese icing, tinted yellow (her favorite color)
Of course, it needs to stay frozen.
It tastes wonderful! I'm sure the southern gals would kick this cake out of their kitchens.

rhopar33 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm

This is intersteing considering I've never had RVC with anything BUT cream cheese icing. I've done samples and used cream chjeee icing and BC but unanimously my clients prefer the cream cheese.

There is a really nice twist in the RVC on epicurious. I think it's B. Smith's and she used blueberries and raspberries.

I've tried tons and tons of Red Velvet cakes from scratch and I have found the best RVC I've ever eaten was from a post on CC. I even tried Sarh's scratch which is popular, but to me it does not compare to this. Its a doctored cake mix and I have gotten tons and tons of orders for this cake:

1 box DH Red Velvet Mix
4 eggs
1/2 C oil
3/4 C water
1 pk. instant choc pudding
1C sour cream
1 bottle liquid red food color

MrsAB Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:21pm

rhopar33, what size is the bottle of food coloring you use?

rhopar33 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:28pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAB

rhopar33, what size is the bottle of food coloring you use?




It would be the standard (1 oz) bottle

namaman Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:29pm

I too have never had it or made it any way BUT with cream cheese icing. I think it definitely is the best flavor with the red velvet. I even make red velvet cake bites with some cream cheese icing on top that never last til the end of a party...

rhopar33 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:31pm

I did a batch of red velvet cupcakes w/ cream cheese icing for valentines' day and sent to my son's school. They were awesome.

Michelle104 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAB

rhopar33, what size is the bottle of food coloring you use?




That's what I was gonna ask. Is it the McCormick bottles of food coloring? The little ones with the teepee lid? TIA

And what kind of icing do you use with this cake?

MrsAB Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm

Thanks rhopar33!

Michelle104 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:37pm

I think we posted at the same time!! Sorry for the repeat ????

rhopar33 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:49pm

And what kind of icing do you use with this cake?[/quote]

I use Toba Garret's cream cheese buttercream recipe. It's awesome!

susieq76 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:57pm

I make it with a not too sweet white boiled icing. Its was in my Gram's recipe box that way and thats how I've made it. Everyone loves it so it must be "good" icon_smile.gif

Sue

tabby235 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:09pm

HI, just made a raspberry filled red velvet with creamcheese icing. was big a hit. I used smuckers red raspberry preserves. Fresh raspberries are rolled in red cake sparkles.hope this helps
LL

newlywedws Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm

cakerunner - this was a reply I gave to a fellow CC'er who asked me to explain the icing I use on my RVC

The icing encompasses SO many cooking techniques - don't let it scare you it's actually easy

First the icing starts off by being cooked -basically making a white roux (which is DEFINATELY a southern term ) and then it moves to a stage where the "roux" cools to room temperature.
Meanwhile, you have other ingredients which are being creamed together.
Then you have the culmination where the roux mixture meets the creamed mixture to become a whipped mixture which although it is whipped, it is not as airy or delicate like a "whipped cream" would be, and yet it's not as heavy or dense as a buttercream or a cream cheese frosting.
The texture -if the icing is made properly- is delicate in feel, literally like a soft buttercream, but not overly sweet - the icing does have sugar in it, but it is granulated. If I have any particuliar question about the recipe it is simply "is this granulated or confectioner sugar" which I can understand, and most people will think it will come out grainy. Well if you make it properly the granules will dissolve and you'll be left w/ an icing that has a slight hint of a buttery vanilla flavour"

In a prior discussion regarding RVC - a fellow CC'er (Crimsicle) made the statement of a lifetime, this is the comment written:

" Newlywedws - I'm glad to see someone else who knows what Red Velvet Cake is really supposed to be. Cream cheese icing is an abomination on this cake, IMHO. Yet, that's all you see. I got my recipe back in the sixties when this cake began to show up a lot at potluck dinners and such. It has the multi-stage cooked frosting you describe. I'm also a snob about the food coloring. I insist on McCormick's red food coloring. No other will do. Prepared correctly, this cake really IS like red velvet. It is amazing. But, I'm willing to bet that few people today have ever tasted a REAL red velvet cake. It's a pity. "

I cracked up laughing about the abomination part -b/c I didn't think to say it first!

cakerunner Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 5:36pm

Oh, that's too funny! This is the exact red velvet and icing recipe my friend gave me to make. It was her grandmother's recipe and now handed down to me. The icing recipe does look intimidating, but really it is quite simple! It is luscious and my friend also never had red velvet any other way!

rhopar33 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 5:46pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerunner

Oh, that's too funny! This is the exact red velvet and icing recipe my friend gave me to make. It was her grandmother's recipe and now handed down to me. The icing recipe does look intimidating, but really it is quite simple! It is luscious and my friend also never had red velvet any other way!




Ok, I'll have to try this. I'm addicted to Toba's cream cheese buttercream but I believe in giving things a try.

clsilvus Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 5:57pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

cakerunner - this was a reply I gave to a fellow CC'er who asked me to explain the icing I use on my RVC

The icing encompasses SO many cooking techniques - don't let it scare you it's actually easy

First the icing starts off by being cooked -basically making a white roux (which is DEFINATELY a southern term ) and then it moves to a stage where the "roux" cools to room temperature.
Meanwhile, you have other ingredients which are being creamed together.
Then you have the culmination where the roux mixture meets the creamed mixture to become a whipped mixture which although it is whipped, it is not as airy or delicate like a "whipped cream" would be, and yet it's not as heavy or dense as a buttercream or a cream cheese frosting.
The texture -if the icing is made properly- is delicate in feel, literally like a soft buttercream, but not overly sweet - the icing does have sugar in it, but it is granulated. If I have any particuliar question about the recipe it is simply "is this granulated or confectioner sugar" which I can understand, and most people will think it will come out grainy. Well if you make it properly the granules will dissolve and you'll be left w/ an icing that has a slight hint of a buttery vanilla flavour"

In a prior discussion regarding RVC - a fellow CC'er (Crimsicle) made the statement of a lifetime, this is the comment written:

" Newlywedws - I'm glad to see someone else who knows what Red Velvet Cake is really supposed to be. Cream cheese icing is an abomination on this cake, IMHO. Yet, that's all you see. I got my recipe back in the sixties when this cake began to show up a lot at potluck dinners and such. It has the multi-stage cooked frosting you describe. I'm also a snob about the food coloring. I insist on McCormick's red food coloring. No other will do. Prepared correctly, this cake really IS like red velvet. It is amazing. But, I'm willing to bet that few people today have ever tasted a REAL red velvet cake. It's a pity. "

I cracked up laughing about the abomination part -b/c I didn't think to say it first!




Can we find this recipe here or do you care to share??

CakeLadyM Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm

Ohhhh, NEWLYWEDWS: You are SO right about the RED VELVET CAKE!

I know everyone has individual tastes and of course, they're entitled to them. And the cc frosting does taste ok on it, too.

But the homemade scratch cake, (like your granny's recipe you've posted) and the original Mary Kay type frosting is the real deal! icon_wink.gif

And, also, NEWLYWED--as you stated earlier, the TRUE RVC will indeed be very light in crumb (similar almost exactly to the way a Pepperidge Farms frozen cake feels on the tongue), and has a slight "bite" (though ever so slight) to it on first taste. Almost floats around in the mouth. I'm thinking that the little "bite" you get comes from the massive amounts of red coloring, perhaps?

Like I said, I've had it both ways. I just always ask what the customer wants (most of 'em here want the Mary Kay type) and then give it to them! thumbs_up.gif

-M-

newlywedws Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 6:50pm

Sometimes I wonder where Grammy obtained her recipe -I have the original handwritten copy, but it's fragile, and yellowed. I think it's neat how a recipe can travel -and how terminology can change...when I first was given the recipe, I had to ask Gramma what the recipe was for b/c it had terms that I wasnt' familiar w/ , I had no clue what was meant by "Oleo" and "ground meal" "bicarbonate of soda" etc., it gave me a lesson in English! Gramma thought I should have known what the stuff was!

Michelle104 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:15pm

clsilvus! I agree with you! Is the recipe here on CC. Is it Sarah's and the Mary Kay frosting or a different one?

newlywedws Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm

for those who asked, both cake and icing recipe are posted in the recipe area on CC ("Sarah's red velvet)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%